News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas - EventBrite Replacement

Started by scuzzy, August 29, 2017, 04:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Hey Texas,

Looks like Texas gets to be the Guinea pig for the EventBrite replacement system.

I'm most likely going to implement an EventBrite replacement this weekend just for Texas. Since registration is such an important part of our system I'm going to just try this out using Texas shoots to start with. That way if there are major bugs I can work through them without affecting everything nationwide. This makes things more manageable in the event of problems.

There are still bits and pieces to work out like checkin sheets. Since this will be a mix of EB and the new I'll have to deal with two separate databases for the time being. I'll fix things in order of importance and there could well be some things I've overlooked. However it should work fairly well. Not perfect but good enough.  I'll be watching things like a hawk and wont rest until everything looks decent. The new system will look a bit sparse however that is probably good. Functionality over looks. Simple is better. KISS.

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

The Wolfhound

Best of luck with this.  Thanks for your efforts on this.  EventBrite served its purpose but was far from perfect (not to mention EXPENSIVE!)

TxRebel

Thanks for all the hard work Scuzzy.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Steck

DrRichP

on behalf of the whole organization, thank you Scuzzy!
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Texas T

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Mrs. Smith

Just let us know when it goes live,  Scuzzy! 
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

RaggedHole

That sounds like a pretty big job, thanks for all your hard work!
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

AF5US

We appreciate it, Scuzzy.

Let us know when the system is live.  I'll see if I can get a friend or two to sign up for reals - "to help us test our new sign up process"  **)
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

TxRebel

Thanks for all the hard work Scuzzy.  I'll buy you a box of these to help with the stress as soon as they are back in stock (yes I've been looking for over a month)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

scuzzy

I'm going to hold off and try again next weekend. Number of problems appeared that is keeping me from going live with this.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

scuzzy

Arrgghh! I wiped out my work from yesterday accidentally. Not sure what I did but it must have been pretty stupid.

Pretty close now.

AF5US

Sorry buddy, I've been there.  In fact - I was sort of there last week when I was working on a project, went downstairs for a few minutes & my youngest daughter snuck into my office.

Sometimes it's just back to the drawing board  :wb:

Thanks again for your dedication!
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

scuzzy

Quote from: AF5US on September 11, 2017, 06:03:19 PM
Sorry buddy, I've been there.  In fact - I was sort of there last week when I was working on a project, went downstairs for a few minutes & my youngest daughter snuck into my office.

LOL - my dog jumped on my keyboard and edited some php files! Just kidding.

In test mode right now. Even have a working US Map of locations: (the ones I've added so far that is)

https://goappleseednow.org/?page_id=77

Above page map is too small - still working on making it work on both phones and desktops.

Formatting is sucking though since I'm trying to make it work with mobile devices. I'd added 'media queries' to my css yesterday. Will add back. Man I hate programming for android and iphone devices.

Here's the home page - this is NOT what people will see. The US Map will still be used to direct people to the 'event sign up page' which is 3 levels down from the home page.

https://goappleseednow.org/

On the link above select the location. On location page select the date (event). Then you'll see the registration page with tickets. You can try and register using this bogus credit card number:

Credit Card
VISA
Expires
02/2022
CVS - any 3 digit number

However my Biggest problem is the paypal testing (sandbox) environment. They have been changing it up left and right the last few weeks. I hate paypal. You might get an error message during paypal test checkout. And then an hour later it works. That has been my biggest problem the last 2 weeks. I think my software is screwing up but it's paypal. However at least the 'live paypal' using real CC and stuff works. But crud - I like testing stuff.

Mutant Texan

Quote from: scuzzy on September 11, 2017, 06:46:00 PM
Quote from: AF5US on September 11, 2017, 06:03:19 PM

LOL - my dog jumped on my keyboard and edited some php files! Just kidding.

In test mode right now. Even have a working US Map of locations: (the ones I've added so far that is)

https://goappleseednow.org/?page_id=77

Above page map is too small - still working on making it work on both phones and desktops.

Formatting is sucking though since I'm trying to make it work with mobile devices. I'd added 'media queries' to my css yesterday. Will add back. Man I hate programming for android and iphone devices.

Here's the home page - this is NOT what people will see. The US Map will still be used to direct people to the 'event sign up page' which is 3 levels down from the home page.

On the link above select the location. On location page select the date (event). Then you'll see the registration page with tickets. You can try and register using this bogus credit card number:

Credit Card
VISA
Expires
02/2022
CVS - any 3 digit number

However my Biggest problem is the paypal testing (sandbox) environment. They have been changing it up left and right the last few weeks. I hate paypal. You might get an error message during paypal test checkout. And then an hour later it works. That has been my biggest problem the last 2 weeks. I think my software is screwing up but it's paypal. However at least the 'live paypal' using real CC and stuff works. But crud - I like testing stuff.

Perfect timing.  The i-phone X is being released today and I will need a credit card number to get one for my wife.
"Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills."

Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian, AD 37--101, on the Roman military

Mrs. Smith

I stopped short of a dummy registration  (I'm at work)  but it LOOKS great,  and tree links appear to be functioning. You're amazing,  Scuzzy!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

scuzzy

Fixed a bunch of junk today.

You can still try to do a complete registration using test credit card. This will be a TEST using the paypal test system - not the real deal.

Just select a location. And then on the location screen select a date to register for. On the register screen just fill in the blanks. Use a valid address - it doesn't have to be yours. But it does have to be a valid address - both location and email. You can use a fake name though.  Use the 'use credit card - don't sign up for paypal account.

Test CC:

Visa Card#
Expiration Date
02/2022

You do need to use a valid address or the test system complains. Use your real email address and make sure that you get your 'tickets' emailed to you.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: scuzzy on September 12, 2017, 08:36:45 PM
Fixed a bunch of junk today.

You can still try to do a complete registration using test credit card. This will be a TEST using the paypal test system - not the real deal.

Just select a location. And then on the location screen select a date to register for. On the register screen just fill in the blanks. Use a valid address - it doesn't have to be yours. But it does have to be a valid address - both location and email. You can use a fake name though.  Use the 'use credit card - don't sign up for paypal account.

Test CC:

Visa Card#
Expiration Date
02/2022

You do need to use a valid address or the test system complains. Use your real email address and make sure that you get your 'tickets' emailed to you.

Got as far as filling in my info. Clicked the paypal link and the screen just refreshed. nothing else.

scuzzy

I still haven't made the new system live yet.

I made some modifications today as a 'fail safe' fallback just in case the new system has major problems and I need to revert back to EventBrite while fixing things. All it takes is changing two lines in a program to get our website to use the new system - EventsManager. Or to fail back to using EB. I wanted to do that since I'm a worry wart and hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Just to clarify things: Texas 2017 shoots have been added to the new system. The Texas 2017 shoots are also on EB.  Right now I have events for Texas on both EB (EventBrite) and EM (EventsManager) which is the new system. When I flip the switch to use the new system any events added to the new system will use the new system.

Events that DO NOT have an entry in the new system will continue to use EB.

I've also added Washington state 2018 events to both EB and EM. So they will get to join in on the fun. About to add some Ohio events too. So they too will enjoy, or not, the new system.

Steck

Kirby, let us know when the PayPal link is re-activated so we can test more for you!

scuzzy

Quote from: Steck on September 13, 2017, 11:26:21 PM
Kirby, let us know when the PayPal link is re-activated so we can test more for you!

You should be able to test right now - it is in test mode:

Try this:

https://goappleseednow.org/?event=waco-tx-appleseed-december-16-17-2017

Test CC #

VISA
Expires: 02/2022

Their test system is fubar - so enter your name and address. Doesn't have to be real - but some things are evidently checked - like an address, city & zip. I could write a book on this crappy test system.

And paypal is now making it really hard to pay unless you have a real paypal account.. DO NOT use an email address that may be the same as a real paypal account email address.

You have to read closely each screen to pay using test - it's actually worse that live.

The fact they keep changing it is worse - but give it a try - just read closely. Register using paypal test with the bogus CC card # above.

scuzzy

Added # of tickets left out of X number.

https://goappleseednow.org/?event=college-station-tx-appleseed-december-2-3-2017

Formatting changes. Almost decent looking now.

Still have to make nice for mobile devices.

Mrs. Smith

I haven't had a chance to look,  but I just thought about the promotional code field for member discounts,  etc. Will the codes still work?

scuzzy

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on September 16, 2017, 09:22:15 AM
I haven't had a chance to look,  but I just thought about the promotional code field for member discounts,  etc. Will the codes still work?

They should. I've probably missed one or three though.

Mrs. Smith

I just tried again to do a test registration using your links, and it still only refreshes the screen when I click your paypal link. Also, I don't see any place to enter a promo code. Is that later in the process?

scuzzy

I'm going live with this late tonight.