News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calera, AL Instructor Boot Camp, 12-13 Aug 17

Started by Maximum Ordinate, August 18, 2017, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

Our tristate Instructor Boot Camp was held at the fantastic Double Tap Training Grounds!  With air conditioned classroom, common areas, and the on-site bunkhouse, it's a great place to Appleseed!

On Friday, most of our students straggled in from a long day in the heat at CMP Talladega.  But Terri (TJ8) and Gary (Mixed Metaphor) had been hard at work getting the potluck dinner ready for us!  We had instructors from Georgia, Tennnessee, Alabama, and even Michigan.  Sadly, our sister from Kentucky couldn't attend - we hope your grandmother recovers quickly! 

Saturday was a full day of instruction, learning how to teach the Appleseed Way - with simplicity and precision.  We had a very special guest for lunch - Dolly Madison, wife of President Madison.  She told us about her life, including being married to President Madison, and the burning of the White House in the War of 1812.  Dolly was played by a talented young lady named Nancy, a reenactor from the American Village in Montevallo, AL.

Dinner was simple - carryout pizza. (Thanks Stace for running out.)  It was a good time to relax and tell extravagant stories of shooting prowess after a long day!  But the best part of dinner was welcoming David to the team, by awarding him a shiny new Orange Hat!  David has been coming to Appleseeds for almost five years now!  Welcome, SM911!

Sunday morning came around and we enjoyed the Tennessee Valley tradition of Waffle House.  After that, it was work, work, work!  Rascal21 helped by teaching about registration desk and the many ways we can leverage Applecore.  I was impressed with everyone's progress throughout the weekend.

Carding sights

Line error cards

Teaching positions

So many people to thank:

- DrJohn, Wreck, and PHenry for setting IBC standards I strive to emulate
- Our hosts, Butch, Kim, and Missy!  Y'all run a great place and we can't wait to return in January for the 2018 Instructor Boot Camp on January 20-21!
- Cokeguy, Bluegrass, and T.J.8 for helping to lead small groups
- Students for showing up motivated, prepared and, ready to learn.  You guys are the future Shoot Bosses of the program!  I am humbled by your energy and enthusiasm.

Liberty, yo!

-MO

P.S.  this old shoot boss was a little busy over the weekend.  I didn't get many pictures this time around, but I will send out the link to my dropbox for the handful of pics I got!

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Nashville Stage

Thanks to Maximum Ordinate for putting together a good instructor training class. He had so many tricks up his sleeve, I didn't know what was going to come next! The appearance of Dolly Madison was a pleasant surprise, and the "find the problem" game was challenging & fun. Double Tap's facilities were nice, and it was great to see so many of the middle Tennessee cadre coming out for the weekend. Having a chance to learn & run through the various blocks of instruction while away from students & the pressures of running an event is a great thing. Adding the experience of seasoned instructors & shoot bosses to offer suggestions & hear tall tales from really sealed the deal. I think my bowels have even recovered from eating Waffle House twice in one week.  ;)
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Ramblin' Wreck

You need to screw your courage to the sticking point and get better aquainted with Waffle House. You know you can't get promoted to red hat in the Tennessee Valley talking smack about WH. It's in the TVIPC.  $$-0

Quote from: Nashville Stage on August 18, 2017, 02:27:20 PM
Thanks to Maximum Ordinate for putting together a good instructor training class. He had so many tricks up his sleeve, I didn't know what was going to come next! The appearance of Dolly Madison was a pleasant surprise, and the "find the problem" game was challenging & fun. Double Tap's facilities were nice, and it was great to see so many of the middle Tennessee cadre coming out for the weekend. Having a chance to learn & run through the various blocks of instruction while away from students & the pressures of running an event is a great thing. Adding the experience of seasoned instructors & shoot bosses to offer suggestions & hear tall tales from really sealed the deal. I think my bowels have even recovered from eating Waffle House twice in one week.  ;)
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

PHenry

With KD at a nearby private airstrip - yes they is!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Old Navy Doc

This was truely a "not to be missed" experience. In a well paced (but intensive) COF, I was able to take concepts I knew but needed help to clarify them into confusion-free teaching modules. I feel much more confident in my ability to teach marksmanship and the critical mission and goals of Appleseed. If schedule permits, I'll be back.
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

woodstock16

Have to concur with Doc, this was a not to be missed experience. I see now why an IBC is recommended for instructors every 18-24 months. Simple and precise is not just a catch phrase. Seeing all the POIs from world class instructors then trying to replicate them without additions or deviating from the printed POI in the manual ensures quality control and consistancy. Thanks to M.O. and all the Red hats for their patience and sage advice. Looking forward to getting back on the trail.

Apparently, bad mouthing WH causes your gas block to fall off.  ^-^ Beats gas station hot dogs though..... :2t
Ramseur 3-17 RBC - Rifleman & Long Range
Long Range 7-17- RwQual & Long Range - Talledaga
Calera 8-17 IBC
TALLEDEGA- REQUAL & LONG RANGE- 8-17
Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Ramblin' Wreck

Now you really are talking smack when you talk bad about gas station hotdogs. I've seen MO eat some of those things that had been rolling since the Reagan administration. I've seen him forego a subway in favor of a GSHD. Don't make him angry, you won't like him when he's angry.  ;D

Wreck

Quote from: woodstock16 on August 19, 2017, 10:53:41 AM
Have to concur with Doc, this was a not to be missed experience. I see now why an IBC is recommended for instructors every 18-24 months. Simple and precise is not just a catch phrase. Seeing all the POIs from world class instructors then trying to replicate them without additions or deviating from the printed POI in the manual ensures quality control and consistancy. Thanks to M.O. and all the Red hats for their patience and sage advice. Looking forward to getting back on the trail.

Apparently, bad mouthing WH causes your gas block to fall off.  ^-^ Beats gas station hot dogs though..... :2t
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Maximum Ordinate

Talking trash about Chez Waffle and my gas station hot dogs?

It appears our IBC was an abject failure.  You people learned nothing of importance.   !@#)

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Ramblin' Wreck

Rustygun

Wow! What an experience! So much expertise on display from the Instructors. Really nice facility too. I learned a whole lot and it was a lot of fun too. I'm not getting involved in the breakfast feud though lol.

Seriously though the chance to learn in a relaxed setting away from the line but not the time monkey was invaluable. Learning the keys to bridging IMC and learning framing techniques and what not to say was huge.

Thanks to Rusty, Everett, and everyone who came. Awesome experience!

Mixed Metaphor

A huge heart-felt thank you to M.O. and all of the Instructors.  It was great finally meeting Rascal21!  The instruction was first rate.  Initially, it seemed like it was going be like drinking from a fire hose.  It was not.  The pace was quick, like an Appleseed event, but not too fast.  The Double Tap Training Ground facilities were great.  Thank you to Butch and Kim!

I like Waffle House.    O0
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

woodstock16

Some of us learned to love WH!! :1luvu
Calera 8-17 IBC

Nashville Stage

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Nashville Stage

woodstock16

That one was for Max Ord.  :bow:

The sun never sets over Waffle House; eclipses, yes; sets, wouldn't dare...  >:D
Calera 8-17 IBC