News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

6.5 Grendel?

Started by B.C., August 08, 2017, 11:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.

Greetings, has anyone had experience with an AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel? If so, what are your thoughts? Inquisitive minds want to know........any info either good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!!
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

The Wolfhound

Former Appleseeder and still contributor, SGTMACE, takes deer with his.. (.223 is not legal for deer in our state).  Plenty of oopmf and quite accurate as he has his set up.  Properly done it can hold under 1 MOA.  He could probably take a 4 MOA rifle and hold it under 2MOA, though so your mileage may vary.

smoakingun

the 6.5 diameter bullet has been shown to be balisticly superion for a long time. the grendel cartridge is based on a ppc cartridge which was based on the 7.62x39mm.  My experience is based on shooting other peoples rifles, I like the cartridge better than the .556. Low recoil, bucks wind like it's bigger 6.5 relatives and it's BC makes the ar an 800 yard rifle. A lot of folks claim it is a softer recoiling cartridge than the 5.56 but I couldn't tell
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

Kennebago

6.5 Grendel hits a tremendous sweet spot in the power band, and has been prominent on my radar since I realized you could very easily build one on a CZ 527 action using their standard 7.62x39 bolt face and mags. It would make for a truly outstanding light rifle, easily capable of taking deer at reasonable distances and hanging around 168-gr SMK .308 load trajectory at 800 yards. With far less recoil, and out of a smaller & lighter action.

The only significant downsides are ammo cost and availability. First one is addressable by stepping down to 100-grain Wolf for bulk ammo. Second is just a function of time / wait-and-see.

Quote from: smoakingun on August 08, 2017, 11:30:59 PM
A lot of folks claim it is a softer recoiling cartridge than the 5.56 but I couldn't tell

Not passing the sniff test for me. The most common Grendel load is a 120ish-grain bullet @ 2700 FPS. That's about 56% more bullet than a 77-grain High Power load, moving at similar speed. In equal rifles, physics is going to dictate results.

Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien

Cable___Guy

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Mark Davis

The 6.5 grendal is a fine cartridge, efficient, low recoil, energy enough for hunting medium game, plus protecting home and hearth.

Unfortunately, in the AR-15 platform the rim diameter of the cartridge is larger than the 5.56 rim diameter.  This means the bolt which holds 55,000 psi must be thinner in the very most critical area.

In a world of margins, and tolerances the cartridge is considered "safe" in a AR 15, but your bolt life expectancy is shorter.

In one early 6.5 grendal that a fiend had, he needed to replace the bolt at anywhere from 800 to 1200 rounds.

I have not followed recent developments in this rifle and cartridge combo, perhaps the problem has been cured with modern metallurgy.   

Ox

I built one, but ended up stripping it down and selling it. For me the cons weren't worth it. Expensive ammo and components, expensive and finicky mags, and stories of busted bolts/lugs. Also, 2200ish fps is a bit lackluster to utilize the high BC 6.5 projectiles.

IMO, you can build a lightweight big bore 6.5 CM,  that is far superior and not have all the problems of trying to stuff too large of a cartridge in to the AR15.

Kennebago

Quote from: Ox on August 09, 2017, 01:53:41 PM
I built one, but ended up stripping it down and selling it. For me the cons weren't worth it. Expensive ammo and components, expensive and finicky mags, and stories of busted bolts/lugs. Also, 2200ish fps is a bit lackluster to utilize the high BC 6.5 projectiles.

IMO, you can build a lightweight big bore 6.5 CM,  that is far superior and not have all the problems of trying to stuff too large of a cartridge in to the AR15.

What barrel length?
doch zou hij beter zien

Ox

Kennebago

Should be long enough - seems odd you got 2200 FPS out of it, I would have expected more.

The 2700 FPS numbers quoted by Alexander Arms are, to be fair, out of 24" barrels.
doch zou hij beter zien

Ox

I was running off memory and looking again you are correct, I was on the low side. I was using 123 grain AMAX, which should have given me around 2550 fps out of a 20".

Still though my point remains,  there are better alternatives for the price IMO, especially if long range paper punching is your game. It's a compromise caliber, which I just could never get in to. YMMV

B.C.

Thanks all for your thoughts, I'm thinking a 24" barrel.........

Engineer shooting

Quote from: B.C. on August 10, 2017, 05:57:34 PM

7.62 recoil getting to you?    ;D
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

B.C.

Quote from: Engineer shooting on August 11, 2017, 07:49:33 PM
Quote from: B.C. on August 10, 2017, 05:57:34 PM

7.62 recoil getting to you?    ;D

Never! The AR10 is one my favorite rifles for sure, there's nothing like getting on a mat next to my comrads on the line and sharing some hot 7.62 muzzle break wind and shockwaves of love. :1luvu If nothing else I enjoy clearing the lines at public ranges and becoming perversely delighted in the looks of disgust and being asked if I had to shoot "that thing" here, indeed yes I always reply.......anyway, the thought of long reaching and high velocity 6.5 rounds from a light, compact AR15 platform intrigued me. I'm thinking a barrel, bolt face and two mags is all I need to convert over a safe queen 5.56. Oh, and a thousand dollar scope too!