News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club July 29-30, 2017

Started by NorCal22Gal, August 03, 2017, 02:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

AAR  Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club
July 29-30, 2017

I haven't yet found a more satisfying and fun way to spend my anniversary than to spend it teaching folks to shoot better and telling them about the history of this great country of ours.

We had 8 wonderful people out to learn some rifle marksman techniques.  4 of them were returning students, the other 4 were new to Project Appleseed, but not to the ways of running their rifles.  This group as a whole (right down to 12 yr old Owen) grasped what we were teaching right away and began putting it good use.  Groups shrank quickly.

We stopped for lunch and took full advantage of the shade in the picnic area of the range as temps climbed.  After the first 2 strikes were told, it was back to the line for some more shooting.  We got in 2 AQT's that afternoon.  Jason, a returning rifleman, repeated his rifleman, but posted his personal best of 221.

Other scores were in the mid to upper 100's, edging toward the rifleman ranks.

We ended the day with the red coat, 3rd strike and awarding of the young patriot's patch to Owen. 

Everyone returned on Sunday morning ready to get going, so that's just what we did.  Refining techniques and reminding students of others they needed to make sure they used.  Questions were asked during review times, good questions, that gave students what they needed to put more pieces together.

Jason, repeated rifleman again, this time with a new personal best of 225.  Now, if I can just get him to take a hat.....

J and Jason left early due to long travel times to get home. 

The rest of us plowed through a few more AQT's. 

Due to the heat and humidity we took frequent breaks to stay hydrated.  It was certainly a blessing that our firing line is shaded. 

Chuck posted a 199, and would have had a nice rifleman score had he not had some ammo/equipment issues during stage 2.  The 2 shots he got off were perfectly side by side in the 5 ring.

All the students shot very well.  Ammo and equipment issues kept a couple from getting over the 200 mark.  Next time guys, next time.

Many thanks to you all for helping us tear down and clean up.

Many thanks to the Sea Cadets for cleaning the line and moving the benches for us after their event ended Friday afternoon.

And many, many thanks to my instructors.

See ya next time all.

Instructors

Laurie      NorCal22Gal   Shoot Boss
Joe      eaglescouter
Matt      Hey Apple.

The books I mentioned:  Paul Revere's Ride and Washington's Crossing by David Hackett-Fischer

Texas T

Congrats to our new (and returning) riflemen.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

HeyApple

Congratulations to all of the shooters on the line.  All made improvements throughout the weekend.  Many persisted through equipment issues an took them in stride.  I hope to see you all back at future events soon.  Thank you to Laurie and Joe another great event.

Matt - HeyApple

:F

NorCal22Gal

Have an update,  Jason took a hat...look out Appleseed, here come Ruthless Rufus!

Michael took a hat too, but I don't have a forum name from him yet to get him promoted!

TallSteve

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

blurred-iron

Many thanks to Matt, Joe, and Laurie for putting on this Appleseed.  Extra thanks to Joe for loaning me some equipment (which I have since purchased for myself - I won't make those mistakes again).  I really appreciated all the extra advice on everything from stock care to ranges, too.

This was my first Appleseed, and I had a great time and learned a lot - the days just flew by.  Thanks also to Hat Creek R&P Club for letting us hold the event there.  I really wish that I lived closer to that place. 

I've been practicing my sling use, and I'm really looking forward to coming back in the future to have another try at the Rifleman badge. 

Thanks again.

- Martin
Rifleman: Hat Creek 2018-10-26

NorCal22Gal

Hi Martin,

You did a great job at your first Appleseed.  Looking forward to seeing you again!

Laurie