News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Possibly returning to Texas

Started by Mutant Texan, July 15, 2017, 01:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutant Texan

I am from the DFW area.  I left in 1998 to attend college and relocated to Ohio in 2005 for a job. 

I interviewed for a job in Arlington, TX recently and I think that I have a good shot of getting the job.  I just searched the event site and don't see any shoots in the DFW area.  What is the reason behind this?  I could understand that finding a range in the DFW area to host an event may not be easy but simply going south or west of the DFW area would get you out into the rural areas quickly.

The closest city that I can find is in Waco.

I also was looking for info on an old shooting range near Grapevine, TX back in the 1990's.  It must have closed because I can't find it.  Are there any good ranges in the DFW area preferably close to the mid-cities that have a good outdoor range and allow FMJ?
"Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills."

Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian, AD 37--101, on the Roman military

floydf

Hands down, the best range close to the mid-cities is the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol range.  They have ~10 pistol bays, ~8 50 yd rifle lanes, ~8 100 yd rifle lanes, and ~4 200 yd rifle lanes.

Membership is open.  You have to jump through some hoops.  Show up at a 1st Wed of month meeting, show up the following Sunday for a safety briefing, show up for the following first Wed of month club meeting.

Cost is $200 per year.  There's a sign up fee, I forget how much, it's been several years.  Range is open and available pretty much when it is light.

They (we) are in the process of changing out baffles, so for now positions are bench and standing.  Once the new baffles are installed, full position is allowed (prone, seated).  Full metal jacket is OK (probably the only place in the metroplex where you can shoot it from a rifle).  Steel core (M855 green tip) is not because it puts gouges in the metal backstops.

When you're in the area, post me a PM and I'll take you out to get a look.  I like it a lot, and spend a good bit of time out there.  When I'm not out there, I'm sleeping, working, or reloading, it seems :)

Quote from: Mutant Texan on July 15, 2017, 01:04:10 PM
I am from the DFW area.  I left in 1998 to attend college and relocated to Ohio in 2005 for a job. 

I interviewed for a job in Arlington, TX recently and I think that I have a good shot of getting the job.  I just searched the event site and don't see any shoots in the DFW area.  What is the reason behind this?  I could understand that finding a range in the DFW area to host an event may not be easy but simply going south or west of the DFW area would get you out into the rural areas quickly.

I also was looking for info on an old shooting range near Grapevine, TX back in the 1990's.  It must have closed because I can't find it.  Are there any good ranges in the DFW area preferably close to the mid-cities that have a good outdoor range and allow FMJ?
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

Mutant Texan

That sounds like a very nice range.  I like that the renovation will allow prone/seated shooting because I have no interest in bench shooting.  I usually don't use the M855 ammo anyway because it is more expensive than the standard .223 or M193 ammo and  I would only want to use the M855 stuff in a KD event. 

I prefer the 7.62x39 caliber because my Mutant and SKS rifles eat it and nothing else.  I have conflicting preferences because I love the AR design over the AK but like the 7.62x39 over the 5.56x45. 

I just started reloading and have die sets for the 5.56x45, 300 Blackout, .308 and .30-06.  My plan is to convert my 5.56x45 brass into 300 Blackout and try it out along side my 7.62x39 rifles.

If I get the job, I will definitely look at this range.

AF5US

Mutant Texan,

It looks like Arlington to the Waco events is about a 2 hour drive - that's about the same as what I do from East Plano to Waco.  It's not a bad drive at all. 

Waco hosts an Appleseed event nearly every month.  It's a nice range; we shoot under an insulated overhang with a back room with heat & a/c, and there's camping available onsite as well.  We'd be thrilled to have you come check it out one month if you do move back.  PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about the facilities, etc.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mutant Texan

I was given my official notification of a job offer after interviewing for the job on July 10.  I accepted it and I am now in the process of figuring out my next plans of action.

I now have to move my house hold from Port Clinton, Ohio to Arlington, TX at the end of summer with the kids getting ready for a new school year.  Ohh well.  I will make it work.

AF5US

Welp . . . welcome back to Texas!  O0

Laredo

gonna jump in here...  because.. I am a displaced Texan...  and I am Jealous!!!

Congrats on the new job and getting back to Texas.

The stars at night are big and bright....deep in the heart of Texas.... 

That song will be stuck in my head all day now.

April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

AF5US

Laredo, I think there's a bit of irony at work.  I'm a displaced Illinoisian.  Thank you for your help as state coordinator there! O0

Mutant Texan

Quote from: Laredo on August 02, 2017, 09:33:30 AM
gonna jump in here...  because.. I am a displaced Texan...  and I am Jealous!!!

Congrats on the new job and getting back to Texas.

The stars at night are big and bright....deep in the heart of Texas.... 

That song will be stuck in my head all day now.

There are many reasons why I did not relocate my family to Illinois when I quit my last job at a power plant in Ohio back in 2015.  My family has been in Ohio the whole time that I have worked in Illinois.  My employer is not changing.  I am just changing locations to a different regional office and into a slightly different position.

Laredo, I am not sure what you do for a living, but if you can go to Ohio, I think you will like it a lot better than Illinois.  People don't believe me when I say it but Ohio is actually a much friendlier state to the Second Amendment than Texas.  Texas has a gun reputation that it does not deserve.  I fully intend to write my new representatives about this fact and encourage them adopt Ohio's greater freedoms.

At least I will be closer to my brothers and parents.  I might even be able to run down to Atascosa county and hunt wild hogs when I have long weekends.

colonial shooter

Congrats on your transfer, Team Texas can use another good soul! Lots of ground to cover, 1 more don't hurt as they say
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

RaggedHole

I just moved to the area as well and was going to drive down to TDSA in Ferris to shoot regular but Haltom city is only about 45min from Plano  and I like that you can shoot 4 position there. Do you know what the age limit is for young shooters? My daughter, almost 5 likes shooting here little pink suppressed rascal and I like would like to keep shooing with her. Thanks.

Quote from: floydf on July 15, 2017, 01:24:13 PM
Hands down, the best range close to the mid-cities is the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol range.  They have ~10 pistol bays, ~8 50 yd rifle lanes, ~8 100 yd rifle lanes, and ~4 200 yd rifle lanes.

Membership is open.  You have to jump through some hoops.  Show up at a 1st Wed of month meeting, show up the following Sunday for a safety briefing, show up for the following first Wed of month club meeting.

Cost is $200 per year.  There's a sign up fee, I forget how much, it's been several years.  Range is open and available pretty much when it is light.

They (we) are in the process of changing out baffles, so for now positions are bench and standing.  Once the new baffles are installed, full position is allowed (prone, seated).  Full metal jacket is OK (probably the only place in the metroplex where you can shoot it from a rifle).  Steel core (M855 green tip) is not because it puts gouges in the metal backstops.

When you're in the area, post me a PM and I'll take you out to get a look.  I like it a lot, and spend a good bit of time out there.  When I'm not out there, I'm sleeping, working, or reloading, it seems :)

Quote from: Mutant Texan on July 15, 2017, 01:04:10 PM

[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

floydf

TDSA looks good.  I'm not sure I know anyone that shoots there.

Several of the guys up here shoot at ETTS in Waxahachie.

There's a new one in Mesquite:  http://www.lonestargunclub.com/

There is a good bit of three gun going on at Proactive Defense north of Forth Worth.

Look up North Texas Lead Farmers.

There's no shortage of places to shoot.

If you want to check out HCRPC, PM me and we'll arrange something.  $10 for a visitor.

5yro would be young for the range.  Don't know if there's an absolute age limit.  The club has a very good group of mid ahd high schoolers shooting, and shooting well.

Quote from: RaggedHole on August 03, 2017, 03:23:11 AM
I just moved to the area as well and was going to drive down to TDSA in Ferris to shoot regular but Haltom city is only about 45min from Plano  and I like that you can shoot 4 position there. Do you know what the age limit is for young shooters? My daughter, almost 5 likes shooting here little pink suppressed rascal and I like would like to keep shooing with her. Thanks.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

RaggedHole

Much appreciated Floyd, I have probably looked at 30+ ranges online but it is hard to know where the good ones are so those recommendations are really great!

Quote from: floydf on August 03, 2017, 08:47:10 PM
TDSA looks good.  I'm not sure I know anyone that shoots there.

Several of the guys up here shoot at ETTS in Waxahachie.

There's a new one in Mesquite:  http://www.lonestargunclub.com/

There is a good bit of three gun going on at Proactive Defense north of Forth Worth.

Look up North Texas Lead Farmers.

There's no shortage of places to shoot.

If you want to check out HCRPC, PM me and we'll arrange something.  $10 for a visitor.

5yro would be young for the range.  Don't know if there's an absolute age limit.  The club has a very good group of mid ahd high schoolers shooting, and shooting well.

Quote from: RaggedHole on August 03, 2017, 03:23:11 AM
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

Texas T

Congrats on the move.  Wish it was me. Have some BBQ and good Tex-Mex on my behalf.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Mutant Texan

Quote from: Texas T on August 04, 2017, 08:38:49 AM
Congrats on the move.  Wish it was me. Have some BBQ and good Tex-Mex on my behalf.

I know that you are heavily involved in the Ohio Appleseeds but I don't thing that I have ever run into you at an event.

You should have learned by now that you have to cook your own brisket like me if you want good brisket in Ohio.  Three is plenty of hickory wood in Ohio too.  I still don't understand why people turn their smoked beef into bitter meat with that mesquite crap wood.  The only problem is that I have to smoke my briskets in the warm weather months and freeze left overs to get me through the winters because when the temps get too low, I can't maintain the heat in my smoker.

I am excited about the move but my wife is not.  She wants to stay in Ohio even though all of her family lives in San Antonio.  She says that she hates the heat yet she will spend about 6 weeks every summer in DFW and San Antonio seeing our families.  She also does not like the cold here and complains nonstop about it.  I just can't win.  :wb:

My wife and I both agree that we love the Ohio summers, late springs and falls.