News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Anyone up for a Ladyseed September 23-24?

Started by DrRichP, July 10, 2017, 10:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRichP

I have a range in Myakka City that is available on September 23-24. The range manager is also the chapter leader for the local Well Armed Woman chapter. I can get the range, but I'll need a female SB and staff to run it. Anyone able to commit? I need to know before I book the range.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

rambo granny

As much as I'd like to say go for the Project Appleseed ladies event in Myakka, Sept is not quite the time.
Neither Minutemom or myself can make that, Both Kim & Lori are signed up for Tallahassee the week before your proposed date. Look at the remaining female cadre: not all have been traveling outside their area to date.  Also look at the travel distance involved. Not likely for September.
We have a very small female cadre scattered over a very big state:
(Red & green hats)
Just Kim in Niceville  (pan handle)
Lucky Lori in Tallahassee
Minutemom in Gainesville
Rambo Granny in NE FL
Heidi Heidi in Palm Bay

(IIT Orange hats)
EmKay in Clearwater area
inSANEmom in Orlando area
Liesl Liberty in Palm Bay
Rifleman Rose in Palm Bay

(Blue hats)
green dragons in Gainesville,
Dawn in NE FL
Sumannieoak in NE FL
Minnesota rabbit in Volusia County (east central)
Gatorbait  in Palm Bay

The FL ladies events open to everyone (not private events) only started 3 years ago. The first event had a SB from WI. The first & second events also had help from GA cadre. THis year (which is our third year) will have had 3 events ( counting the Nov Orlando event) with only FL cadre used. That's also triple our average for a year.

RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

rambo granny

The good news... the Orlando TWAW chapter will be inviting Other TWAW members to the Nov Orlando event. The Orlando TWAW area leader is already signed up for it.  :)
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Minutemom

What Janet said.
We are spread a little thin right now.  Only 5 female red hats in the entire state, scattered across a very large area.  Right now we are pouring all of our efforts into promoting the ladies' event in November and securing enough instructors for that one.  That will make three this year!  Which is awesome, because up to this point we've only had one ladies' shoot in each of the previous two years.  But right now, we need to concentrate our efforts in order to be the most effective in our outreach to women.  We could use everyone's help in recruiting and keeping female instructors!  Believe me, I am committed to growing the Ladyseed program in this state.  We just need to be organized and smart about how we go about doing that!

Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

minnesotarabit

DrRichP - Thank you for thinking of the LS or LofL or whatever we are labeled currently. (Personally I like Appleseed, All Ladies Event!) As one of the AS core, and having attended all the FL LS events, we are working very hard to get the cadre increased in number. We have a lot of ladies thinking about stepping up, but most are moms and work as well, so sometimes timing is a challenge. The date is not too long after school starts. While your group might not have kids to worry about, many of the current cadre do, and are spread over a tremendous distance. What RG and MM stated is sadly, very true. We are very thin. This is even true for AC. I am just now getting out of rehab #3 for major reconstructive surgery and will attend in a walking boot (hope out of the wheelchair again!) for the November event, just before more surgery after Thanksgiving. If it were not for greendragon and teacherteach at the last event, I would have been toast, and the work would have fallen on the already spread too thin instructors.

What RG and MM did not tell you is they were the only female instructors available for the last LS event in ORL. They did a fabulous job, but they were beat by the end of the weekend. Thank the Good Lord above we have some fantastic support from "speak softly and carry a big bang stick" men like 9mm4545, cableguy, xsquidgator, smoakingun, and others (forgive me guys if I missed naming you) that selflessly pitch in to help us. And please know, it is not that LuckyLori, Kim, or others did not want to be there - they were running events elsewhere. Our female cadre in GA offered to come down, but our numbers just did not justify the drive and expense to them in all fairness.

We promise, we will eventually get to your range/area. We are trying to stay in areas of easy access and high concentrations of potential attendees at this time, and since we did the CFRPC Ladies Day and the last LS there, and had 100% of the ladies state they were coming again, plus the club that is participating, you can understand why it got scheduled there. We are also trying to reach as many of the "unchurched" as we can. We need more ladies on the line that have never participated in any event or even touched a gun. This is how our youth learn that riflemanship is a part of their heritage, liberties, freedoms, and responsibilities. And ladies that are even anti-gun are being turned around and brought into the fold. Many now feel safe and comfortable to defend themselves if necessary. You have no idea how important that is to some ladies in this day and age. And all go away with their eyes opened to what needs to be done in terms of citizen participation, pride in our foreparents, and the truth of what happened on April 19, 1775.

Thank you for thinking forward, and see if we can do something next year to at least get the ball rolling in your area. That said, after we have more bodies, or those willing to travel. I for one am willing to come help if I can, as I grew up on the way out to Myakka, so you are in my old stomping ground.

Meanwhile, we invite you and strongly encourage you to attend for a day or the weekend at the November ORL event. All senior instructors should drop in (hint hint pHenry et al...) to see Liberty in action with determined, open minded riflewomen in training! I for one believe what we teach is something every woman in America needs to know, practice, and become immersed in. I want it to be talked about in soccer mom groups and Sunday School. How to shoot a gun? No. Liberty? Yes.

I hear Lady Liberty, and she is sobbing...
minnesotarabit
AC
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

rambo granny

While Marilyn mentioned MM & myself as having done all the teaching modules at the first Orlando event, we also appreciated having Liesl step up as a brand new orange hat. Kudos are also in order for the blue hats. Marilyn, who has been challenged with massive orthopedic ailments & not able to do positions turned her attentions to helping with history-including strikes-in a very convincing manner. Her previous examples  led to both Green dragons & Liesl sharing some brave Women stories at the first Orlando event. Awesome!
By the replies, it is easy to see the passion for the ladies venue. As we have successfully dealt with a variety or challenges Ranging from ladies too intimidated to start out on a regular AS line to full blown phobias, we feel that these women can grow to populate our regular event lines and bring the families with them.
Having tripled our number of events this year, I would like to propose some ideas to consider toward keeping the momentum going as we continue our reach to the fastest growing segment in the firearms industry:
1.) since we have few women instructors who also work many regular AS events, and we are geographically spread out over a huge state, how about forming a think tank with a representative from the different different regions? For example, The opportunities and needs in the panhandle differ from east, west, central, & south & those who work the areas know them best. With small numbers of lady instructors, those who are able to travel need to avoid scheduling conflicts. Let's confer as to avoid scheduling duplicate times of events & best use of our Human Resources. Knowing our strengths & weaknesses, we need to develop our own strategy and timetable for expansion.
2.) if the AOC wants to help, what we need is PROMOTION, PROMOTION, PROMOTION to inform potential new students, some of whom in time will become instructors.
3.) effective communication between those doing the work in the field & the AOC working at the national level. Let's use our $ and our Human Resources wisely.

JustKim

I would always love to participate in Ladyseed events - AND more regular Appleseed events, but I am limited by distance.  We did make it to the Melbourne LS, but it was a LONG trip.  I am going to try my best to make the November Orlando shoot, but will end up having to take off probably Friday and Monday from work.  I also plan to have/host a Ladyseed the last weekend in March, 2018 at Hurlburt Field Rifle and Pistol Club - my home range - and am asking as many of our Florida cadre to help out - which I realize will require pretty much everyone to travel a long distance.  The range is VERY supportive - we just need to work out the specifics before I put it on the calendar.  As far as the Mayakka LS in Sept - i will be out of town - my father's 94th birthday is the day after that weekend.  Again - I am excited about what is happening with AS in Florida and will help out as much as I can!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

rambo granny

Thanks for your input Kim!
I remember that long drive you did & the students loved you! Thanks again.

What you said brings up some points I've been concerned about. Awesome you are working to set up your home range & are sharing the date as far out as possible due to the distance required for everyone. I once worked with Terry from Al at a GA ladies Appleseed. Not sure of her distance, but perhaps a possibility for panhandle also? I am interested in helping at Hurlbert too & yes it will be a long haul. Due to their clearance requirements, that will have to be started early.

Additionally, the Smoak's have graciously been annual hosts for ladies Appleseed so we need to make sure their date is set not too close to the Hulbert date. We have had good attendance there at each event.

Communication is key for all of us in the overal long range planning.

I also hear that the Hollywood range very much wants a ladies event. It's a hugely supportive range for the Appleseed program. That's another long haul, but it's an awesome venue & expanding to South FL with its many huge population centers is very important for long range program growth.

Something the AOC could be very helpful with (hint hint):
Arrange group rate accommodation as close to range as possible for events requiring long travel for female cadre. (Example Pan handle & Hollywood/south FL)
Promote in other states. FL has the advantage of vacation destinations!! If promo is done with long lead times, perhaps doing a ladies event plus backing up a family vacation to it would be very attractive to out of state instructors as well as our own FL cadre.

Bottom line: communication, a plan for wise use of Human Resources, regional input,  scheduling long range, & back up from AOC with understanding that the travelers with need to have a voice in expansion as to where & when.

Trisha

Quote from: DrRichP on July 10, 2017, 10:38:19 AM
I have a range in Myakka City that is available on September 23-24. The range manager is also the chapter leader for the local Well Armed Woman chapter. I can get the range, but I'll need a female SB and staff to run it. Anyone able to commit? I need to know before I book the range.

We have been trying to make a connection/partnership with the Well Armed Women's group so if this is the only date available it would be important to have a lady shoot boss there. Being that it is September, Idk if I'd be able to make that work since it's a few weeks into the school year and as a teacher it's a hard time to get away, plus I'll be doing a Ladyseed in Wi the weekend prior. Are we solid on this date or can it be moved a month or two?

minnesotarabit

Howdy ya'll -

First, my apologies to Lady Liesl and green dragon, I should have shouted out to them in my response. My bad.

JustKim - I will be there in March. Put me down to AC and do Strikes.

RG makes some excellent points. We do need better communication between regions, and this includes not only LS but AC and AS as well. We tend to bunch up in dates (of course Patriots Day it always is) and it spreads some folks really thin, or working weekend after weekend in a row, burning them out and decreasing on the lines.

Agreed on the accommodations idea, RG. That is an easy fix. We could also make inquiry for other discounts as well.

Also agreed on other states. As for panhandle LS, Gretchen, whyknott and Red Niva are all pretty close, and they would be an awesome addition.

Ms. Trish, so glad to see you, hope things are well. The Melrose shoot at Smoak's is the first full weekend in October. We would LOVE to see you again!!! Let me know if you need a ride from/to the airport. Rascal21 is trying to see about coming as well.

I agree with RG. Let's get together and work as a team to get better communication and organization between all the regions. We are a very large state and with just a little cooperation we can immensely impact AS/LS/IBC for the better.

Huzzah!

minnesotarabit
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

DrRichP

Hi Trish,

The range manager at Myakka  (Angie Weldon) is also the chapter leader for TWAW in Sarasota and she wants to do an Appleseed and also use it to build her chapter of TWAW. Alternate dates are not available as the range is booked up. In any case, right now the general consensus is we are spread too thin to support this. I don't know if Orlando will draw from Venice, Sarasota, Fort Meyers, etc. When we have more infrastructure we need to consider serving more geographic areas. Florida is a big state.

Quote from: Trisha on July 18, 2017, 06:09:24 PMWe have been trying to make a connection/partnership with the Well Armed Women's group so if this is the only date available it would be important to have a lady shoot boss there. Being that it is September, Idk if I'd be able to make that work since it's a few weeks into the school year and as a teacher it's a hard time to get away, plus I'll be doing a Ladyseed in Wi the weekend prior. Are we solid on this date or can it be moved a month or two?
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy