News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Photobucket issues

Started by Nashville Stage, July 06, 2017, 03:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashville Stage

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, Photobucket suddenly pulled it's ability to link images to 3rd party sites a few days ago, so you might see a bunch of broken links on forum posts where images used to be.

Photobucket is currently finding itself in a huge PR backlash over this, so who knows what will unfold in the next few weeks. If you used Photobucket to post photos to the forum, you might want to consider moving your images to a new hosting service & updating the old image links.

In the meantime, HTML links to Photobucket albums still seem to be working, just not imbedded "img" tags.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Super Trooper

It's unreal that photobucket wants people to pay $99/year for a service that many other sites offer for free.
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line. 
Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

TOMINCT

I've not been able to access the account for some time, so I've not submitted pics, unfortunately.

I've heard others say the cost was now over $300. Either way I'm not interested.

There ARE other places, flikr, that are doable from what I understand. If you know of others please post them here.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Super Trooper on July 06, 2017, 10:45:58 AM
It's unreal that photobucket wants people to pay $99/year for a service that many other sites offer for free.

It's actually $399 / year. They want you to upgrade to their highest level in order to use 3rd party hosting.  !@#)

It's sad, because Photobucket used to be one of the best sites for hosting photos. It'll be interesting to see if they go down in flames over how they handled their sudden & dramatic change in how they run their site. Of course, with free services there's only so much complaining that can be done.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Monkey

Quote from: Nashville Stage on July 06, 2017, 01:51:10 PM
Quote from: Super Trooper on July 06, 2017, 10:45:58 AM

It's actually $399 / year. They want you to upgrade to their highest level in order to use 3rd party hosting.  !@#)

It's sad, because Photobucket used to be one of the best sites for hosting photos. It'll be interesting to see if they go down in flames over how they handled their sudden & dramatic change in how they run their site. Of course, with free services there's only so much complaining that can be done.

That absolutely sucks.  Oh well.  The market will speak for itself.  #BecauseFreedom
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Super Trooper

Quote from: TOMINCT on July 06, 2017, 01:10:59 PM

There ARE other places, flikr, that are doable from what I understand. If you know of others please post them here.

There is also Imgur which is getting very popular.  Here is an article about 3rd party hosting alternitives to photobucket:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/

Also I logged into my photobucket account and the 99/yr plan allows linking, and the 399/yr allows 3rd party hosting.  So yes, to embed a photo into a forum post you'll pay 399/yr with photobucket now.  What a scam.
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line. 
Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

maxwell

It boggles my mind that people use photobucket, let alone like it. It always seemed like a cesspool of sketchy advertising masquerading as photo hosting, but YMMV.

I pay to host photos on SmugMug, so I have some measure of security and control over my content, and I've embedded links successfully. Imgur and already been mentioned, and I think Flickr and Google Photos (formerly Picasa) still have free offerings. Dropbox might still allow hosting galleries, too.

Texas T

I usually just upload my photos from my phone to my laptop, then post them from there. Seems to work out okay, without needing a third party...
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Monkey

Quote from: Texas T on July 06, 2017, 11:24:42 PM
I usually just upload my photos from my phone to my laptop, then post them from there. Seems to work out okay, without needing a third party...

The downside is that it eats up forum server space, which was the beauty of photobucket/imgur/whatever - let somebody else's server get filled up with photo data.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

scuzzy

Quote from: Monkey on July 12, 2017, 12:58:46 PM
The downside is that it eats up forum server space, which was the beauty of photobucket/imgur/whatever - let somebody else's server get filled up with photo data.

That's true. But if people would resize their pics we have enough space to last for a long while to come. See this:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=51419.msg346083#msg346083

Also - you may be able to adjust your camera setting to take lower res pics and then you don't even have to resize.

One good thing about pics on our server - you don't have to worry about them going away such as photobucket.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.