News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek, KY, June 24-25, 2017

Started by dond, June 27, 2017, 12:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

What a relief, and what a great event. The remnants of Cindy were forecast to keep us wet and miserable for the weekend but she ended Friday evening at the location and the weather, and range, were perfect on both Saturday and Sunday. So were the shooters. We were worried about a low turnout but 3 signed up at almost the last minute for a total of 9. The instructors put in perfect performances and the shooters listened intently and absorbed the instruction as well, or better, than any group I have witnessed. Some were even observed taking copious notes. Therefore, the results should not be surprising. Out of 9 shooters, 5 earned the Rifleman Patch. One was a repeat but the other 4 were first time Appleseeders, and one had never shot a rifle before.  O0 O0 O0 :~  It was a pleasure to work with them, and the instructors. I know that some are planning to return for more Appleseeds and also to the KD event at Park City later in the year.

I believe that pictures are forthcoming.  O0

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Bill2728

Attended my first Appleseed event this past weekend at Knob Creek, Ky. The weather had been forecast to be severe thunderstorms and heavy rain with flashflood warnings but the system moved through quicker than forecast and Saturday and Sunday were as near perfect weather as you could ask for.
I can't compliment the cadre enough, personable, friendly, a joy to be around but above all else, knowledgeable with the skills to impart that knowledge.
My elbows are raw, knees and ankles are sore and my eyes are still tired from trying to focus on the front sight (I am old and so are my eyes) but I wouldn't trade those aches and pains for anything!
I and 4 others out of 9 earned our Rifleman patches.  Speaks well of the teaching skills of the Green, Red and Orange hats!  I noticed that our Blue hat was about as knowledgeable as the instructors!
I will be checking my schedule to see if I can make the one in September and may even attempt the KD event in Park City in October.
If you haven't attended one, you're missing a wonderful experience! Find one in locale and sign up...you won't regret it!
Don, Sarah, Bill, Sheep Dog and Pocketknife, I thank each of you for the great experience!

Bill

Texas T

Sounds like a great event. Congrats to our new riflemen!!   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

WmLyons

Bill, thank you for the kind words....and again for loan of your phone to call the hotel and save my cell phone from being lost.  I had a great time this past weekend.  I do at every Appleseed weekend. 

We had attentive students.  We had perfect weather.  We produced 5 new Riflemen including one youth who had never fired a rifle before. 

I am certain the Liangs would have continued to improve if they didn't have to leave at noon the second day.  We may have produced one or two more Riflemen.  I was very sorry to hear that William didn't feel well the second day but was elated when his father, John, made his Rifleman score. 

I do hope to see some if not all of the shooters at future Appleseed weekends.  I hope they will tell their friends and family and spread the word about Project Appleseed. 

I look forward to seeing any of you again, perhaps as soon as September in Jackson.  That would be a good warm up to the late September or October KD weekends coming up.

WmLyons

Wolfgangatom

A big thank you to Don, Sarah, Bill, Sheep Dog and Pocketknife! This was my first Appleseed and it was very helpful. I grew up shooting with my dad, as a boy scout, and even took part in an NRA HP shoot mentored by my highschool physics teacher. As an adult I've read the Art of the Rifle and tried applying it on my own. However, the coaching I received this weekend pushed me to shoot much better.

Alrighty, here's some pics...

Wolfgangatom

Pics

WickerMan

It was truly a great event!

My first Appleseed, and first time with any serious instruction in almost 30 years, but what an opportunity to learn and grow! I got more from those two days than I could have dreamed of. The instructors and shoot boss were phenomenal! Thanks to Don, Bill, April, and Pocketknife putting on such a great event!