News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Make sure to air out your rifle cases after a shoot

Started by Savage22, June 27, 2017, 12:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage22

Just wanted to remind everyone to make sure to pull their rifles out of their cases and let the case dry out after shooting in our wonderful high heat, high humidity Florida weather.

I uncased my rifle last night after this weekends 98% humidity shoot, and I found my rifle wet and some steel components flash rusting.   !@#)
They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
― Patrick Henry

TOMINCT

Yup, you don't have to live in Florida to have it happen either. Cool rifle from basement storage or case with it sitting in the sun will do it.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

The Wolfhound

Oh yeah! Had a shoot a couple of years ago where we had no shelter and a lot of rain. 2 and a half inches over the 2 days.  I got the rifles out of the cases (lots of loaners) and then had the cases drying for over a week.  Good thing there was a spare bedroom.  Rifles were clean and waiting for the cases to finish drying.  There is nothing like pulling the screws on a rifle and having water pour out of the stock.  Nope, nothing at all.

PHenry

roger that. Very frustrating. I am always so busy, sometimes I forget - bare minimum is to pull them out and get some oil on them / let them air out. Takes five minutes, but failure to remember results in cussing later.  :wb:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

DrRichP

Agreed. When you get your loaners home, spray them with WD-40.

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

308LIBERTY

Glad you said something. I was totally beat when I got home. After reading your post, I went and pulled my little Henry out of the case and there was a small little spot of rust just starting on the barrel. Ack!
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

PHenry

WD40 is excellent for water displacement, but keep it away from ammo as it is also an excellent penetrant! The Army uses quart spray bottles of CLP and cleans their M4s in the shower - ask me how I know.  ^-^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Laredo

**What DrRichP said**

I keep a can of wd40 in my AS range bag.  If there is high humidity or even chance of rain, I spray my barrels down with a light mist of wd40.  Since doing that, I have never had rust/pitting...  even when drenched in torrential rain.

Before that, I would get surface rust on my marlins.
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Marquis de M

---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

jmdavis

Always close the case when you have the rifle out at a shoot. This prevents debris from getting inside and helps to keep the cases dry.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner