News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Blue Ridge, GA (Power House Range), June 24/25

Started by CokeGuy, June 26, 2017, 10:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeGuy

Saturday weather was intermittent light rain all day, but we had the line covered with popups. The shooters came prepared to learn and maintained their enthusiastic participation throughout. Even Larry enjoyed watching his family learn and shoot even though his physical limitations forced him to "retire" after a couple of ups and downs. However, with a shooting bench on Sunday, he was shooting 4 MOAs. It was a real pleasure working with the youngsters and seeing them progress. Beyonka, you can be very proud of your boys! Although we only had one Rifleman score, a number of shooters improved dramatically. Having two members of the Georgia Tech Shooting Club was a bonus for me and Ramblin'Wreck! Phill was "knocking on the door" with a score of 208. And we discussed doing an Appleseed for the entire team in the near future. Young Peyton stayed the course for the full two days. Our Rifleman, Lena-218, (yes, she scored better than her Rifleman IIT husband), also asked for an Orange Hat. Huzzah! This was a very special Appleseed for me because my two mentors (Ramblin'Wreck & DrJohn) we both there. It was even more special because other good friends came to help. The result of having 2 Senior Instructors, 2 Shoot Bosses, a Red Hat, and 2 IITs was numerous accolades from the shooters not only for the excellent instruction, but also the detailed history. Ramblin'Wreck delivered an excellent First Strike, and followed in the afternoon with an excellent KD presentation. I am sure we will see many of these participants at future Appleseeds, and a number of them may choose to become instructors.

Guardian

Congrats to Lena for her accomplishment! Thanks to her for joining the team! We need all the help we can get.

It was a fantastic weekend spent in the company of friends, new and old! The rain was just enough to keep the temperature comfortable most of the weekend.

It was good to see centerfires on the line! Dave, Evan, and Jarrett were cutting trees down with their concentrated fire, seriously. Guys, we hope others will follow your lead! We hope to see you at a KD soon.

Mark, thanks for hanging out with us. We hope you'll come back.

Jim, you persevered through the weekend in spite of your frustrations. That's the spirit of our forefathers!

Peyton, your persistence was admirable and it was good to see you enjoying shooting.

Joe and Carol, you both made tremendous improvement and I hope you saw that.

Thanks to all the shooters for coming out!

Texas T

Way to go, Lena. Thanks for stepping up. We all appreciate your willingness to step forward. Good luck on your journey.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Ramblin' Wreck

This was one of the most fun events I've done in a couple of years. Great range, pretty good weather (we didn't drown or bake), experienced instructor crew that has worked together before and a great shoot boss. The students gave us a teachable attitude and they improved quickly. I look forward to seeing them all again and some of them soon at a KD.

Wreck

Setting up the line on Saturday.

JJ takes an orange hat first thing Saturday morning.

Guardian teaches the Six Steps of firing a shot.

DrJohn explains Talking Targets. You friends and family might lie to you but your target never will.

The line boss stays on the line.

In standing bring the rifle up to your eye, don't bring your eye down to the rifle.

DrJohn and Guardian

Our younger shooters getting their Luther Blanchard patches at lunch Sunday.

DrJohn gives the 2nd Strike of the Match

Couldn't shoot till noon Sunday so we did extensive review from Saturday. Cleveland uses TPI to review sitting.

I think Beyonka just found her favorite position for shooting stage 2.

The couple that shoots together is always happy. Even when your wife shoots a higher qualifying score than you did. Congrats Lena and JJ.

Results of using an AR15 chain saw at an event. This was behind the target line.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

DrJohn

Thank you, Wreck, for the excellent pictures. And I strongly agree with Everett, this was a most productive and very enjoyable event. Valerie, you are an inspiration with your excellent shooting and your refusal to be discouraged by one glitch after another in your quest to shoot Rifleman. Your determination to become an Appleseed instructor is most commendable and I look forward to seeing you in an Orange Hat very soon. Bill, you are an excellent shooter as well. Any plans to change your hat color?

Rob and Phil, you were both excellent shots before you came and we appreciate your attendance. We hope perhaps to see more Georgia Tech club members in the future. You guys are good!

Mark, your two sons are fine young men and all of you were a pleasure to have. And they and Dave, all excellent shooters, have shown me a unique and effective way to cut down a tree in the absence of a chain saw or an axe! Mark, we missed you Sunday and you are to be commended for your cheerfulness and persistence Saturday in the face of much frustration. You will make a fine Rifleman.

Lena, I was highly impressed with your beautiful shooting and so happy to have you qualify Rifleman. I will look forward to working future Appleseed events with both you and J.J.

Carol, it was priceless to watch your improvement between Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. You will be giving Joe a run for his money in the marksmanship department, a fact I am sure he is proud of. Larry, your family is exemplary and your grandsons and daughter are learning to shoot in the same manner you did so many years ago, continuing a fine family tradition. Thank you all for your encouragement and support.

Jim, it was a pleasure to watch you and your fine young son Peyton shooting together. You did about as well with a tube fed rifle as can be done at one's first Appleseed event, and as soon as Peyton grows into his rifle, he is going to be awesome.

I was mostly on the right side of the line over the weekend and didn't get to work with those of the other side as much as I would have wished. If I left out any names, please indulge me and forgive the oversight. It was not intentional.

As for all Appleseed events, I came away having made new friends and with a renewed appreciation of the people of this great nation. Blessings to all.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....