News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lynchburg, VA July 24-25

Started by FiremanBob, June 26, 2017, 12:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiremanBob

A small but outstanding group of nine patriots gathered at the Izaak Walton League on Saturday morning, having been spared the torrential rains that fell slightly to the north overnight. Six were first-time Appleseeders.

I think I can say that we all had an excellent event, as proved by the scores and by the proficient and safe handling of rifles and equipment which the students quickly learned. I thank every one of you who put such determination into your learning. I am confident that everyone there has the potential to qualify as a Rifleman.

Highlights: Three students earned Rifleman patches, including two of our beginners, and others were close to qualifying. Jo earned her patch on the very first AQT fired on Saturday afternoon with a solid score of 216. How could it be possible that she had only fired a rifle once before? Casey, also a beginner, posted a 211 on Sunday, avoiding the ritual anointment with North Bridge water. Finally Jay, on his third Appleseed, posted a 213 and even better, volunteered to join the Corps and took an Orange Hat.

Dangerous Cook's telling of the First Strike in the role of Ruth Harrington was spellbinding.

Sgt Mace gave a compelling KD lesson and allowed students to try his M1 in the seated position at the actual distance of 200 yards which put smiles on faces. After that, it was natural that nearly everyone asked for a CMP training certificate.

Tube Fed Guy passed his IIT2 PC, and Slightly Sharp Shooter passed her Applecore RSO PC. Huzzahs for them both.

Thank you all for making this such an enjoyable and safe shoot. Many thanks to Tim and IWLL for hosting us at their fine club.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Texas T

Sounds like a great event. Congrats to our new Riflemen, and thanks to Jay for stepping forward to take a hat. I have found that, the more I study, the more I learn, the more I teach the more I learn, and the more I learn, the more I enjoy learning more. I hope that you have a similar experience.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Monkey

Quote from: FiremanBobFinally Jay, on his third Appleseed, posted a 213 and even better, volunteered to join the Corps and took an Orange Hat.

YAAAAAAAAAAAS!

Thanks Jay for stepping up!

HUZZAH!
HUZZAH!
HUZZAH!
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

The Wolfhound

Best line from the event: Jo after firing the M1 Garand, "I gotta get me one of those!"

Best "Lightbulb moment" of the year: Casey going from a 109 to a 211 in 3 AQTs.  The sling does work!

Indeed a well focused group.  Kudos to Richard for being game to finding the adaptive position that would work for him.  Nothing could be taken for granted but his willingness to try.