News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Parma, ID, June24/25, 2017 AAR

Started by Prescott, June 25, 2017, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

This weekend was held the first Appleseed event at the Parma Rod and Gun Club.   This was the first event in Southern Idaho since 2015!

Earlier in the week I was excited that we were going to have a decent number of shooters at the event.  However, on Friday I received a call that 2 shooters were going to have to reschedule due to a work conflict.  Then as we were doing check ins on Saturday morning, we had 3 no-shows just leaving us with 2 participants.

Regardless, Mike and Barry were very attentive students that got a lot of quality one-on-one time with the instructors.   Even though they were both already Rifleman, they still showed improvement in their shooting skills.   Since they were already Rifleman, the instruction was tailored to the areas that they needed improvement, and they got a lot of trigger time to practice their marksmanship techniques.

Both of the shooters requalified their rifleman scores.   Mike shot a Rifleman score with both a scope on his rifle and he then removed the scope and shot Rifleman with Tech-sights.   Barry had previously shot a Rifleman score with iron sights, and wanted to see how easy it was to achieve it with a scope.   As expected, he shot a Rifleman score with the scoped rifle.

On Sunday afternoon, to give these Riflemen a bit more of challenge, we set up a mini KD.   We placed backers with the 100 yard scaled targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards to shoot a scaled KD.   This proved to be much more challenging than they expected.   They were both shooting their iron sights, and with the low amount of sighting system rise over the muzzle, the bullet drop was more than expected.   It took a couple AQTs to figure out the correct amount of hold over at those distances.  Once they had that dialed in, the scored quickly increased to the high 190s with one score breaking the 200s.

I would also like to thank Vicar for coming out and helping at the range this weekend.   He also recently moved to Southern Idaho and wanted to get involved in the program again.  He did a fantastic job on calling the line, clearing the line and teaching the 6 Steps to Firing the Shot.  I look forward to working more events with you. Huzzah!

I had an enjoyable weekend with these shooters and hope to see them again at another AS event.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

wstrngnnt

I had a great time shooting this weekend, thankfully for running the shoot. Shooting the mini KD was a blast, made my desire to shoot a real KD gross even more.

Thanks again.

Prescott

Glad you came out.   At the next event, hopefully I will get someone from Idaho to show up! 

Are you going to the AS event in Missoula in late July?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

wstrngnnt

Quote from: Prescott on June 26, 2017, 12:54:56 PM
Are you going to the AS event in Missoula in late July?
Would love to, but have a family vacation planned that week. Great falls KD is the next one I could hit.

peterlandsiedel

I'll be shoot bossing the Great Falls KD event.

We only have 10 slots students, so if you're interested in going, signing up early is the way to go. Hope to see you there.