News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dangerous Old Men

Started by Bazooka Man, June 07, 2017, 10:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka Man

Well, I guess that in order not to offend, I must include Dangerous Old Women too.  We've all heard the dangerous old men/women stories. As a way to encourage older shooters to sharpen up their rifle skills, maybe there needs to be a special way to recognize these seniors as being a Dangerous Old Man/Woman once they earn a Rifleman Patch. Just brainstorming.
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleer™ Patch (220)

DrRichP

I like where this is going Aim Small Hit Small. I often tell the stories of Prudence Cummings Wright, Sybil Ludington, Nancy Hart, and Margaret Cochran Corbin.

When you write "maybe there needs to be a special way to recognize these seniors as being a Dangerous Old Man/Woman once they earn a Rifleman Patch", what were you thinking? Something like a special Grey colored Rifleman's badge for those over 65? Something like that or something different?
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Nashville Stage

Maybe have a patch where "Rifleman" is in large print.  **) >:D
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Laredo

I actually laughed out lout at that!... 

good one.
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Texas T

Quote from: Nashville Stage on June 08, 2017, 02:32:39 AM
Maybe have a patch where "Rifleman" is in large print.  **) >:D

Too funny. Being of that age, I'd vote for it if given the opportunity. But then, maybe the assumption would be that we'd used larger print targets, so I guess I'd have to rethink this.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

goodoldfriend

I like the idea of a grey RIFLEMAN patch.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Nashville Stage

Another variation idea for the suggestion box: Make a silver Rifleman patch, and have an added line underneath that says "Dangerous Old Man" or "Dangerous Old Woman".

Or, make the silver Rifleman patch with the normal design, and then make a separate silver rocker patch that goes underneath that says "Dangerous Old Man" or "Dangerous Old Woman".
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Bazooka Man

I kinda like the patch and rocker idea. Maybe silver or gray with "Dangerous Old Men"  or "Women." I loved all the replies.
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC

DrRichP

Hmm. How about a flat Grey rocker the reads "Dangerous Old" and can be put on top of a Rifleman's badge, so it would read 'Dangerous Old Rifleman'?
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

eaglescouter

A grey or silver rifleman patch is a cool idea.

However the concept of a "Dangerous" patch is troublesome.
I do not need society to know that I was deemed "dangerous" by a marksmanship organization, and I certainly do not want to know what havoc that could cause in a courtroom with a less than 2A friendly prosecutor following an armed self defense incident.

I do fully support the concept of strips to go under the rifleman patch.
Senior
Junior
Iron Sights
Optics
Bolt Action
Semi Auto
Full Distance
Rimfire
Centerfire

Until I get access to a time machine the 'junior' strip will elude my grasp, but I would attend events and strive to earn (and wear) all of the others.  And I know others who would pay to attend more events if they could earn 2 strips per Appleseed.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

DrRichP

Quote from: eaglescouter on June 08, 2017, 10:37:29 PMHowever the concept of a "Dangerous" patch is troublesome. I do not need society to know that I was deemed "dangerous" by a marksmanship organization, and I certainly do not want to know what havoc that could cause in a courtroom with a less than 2A friendly prosecutor following an armed self defense incident.

Fair enough, Dangerous anything is off the table.
DrRichP

Bazooka Man

So the next step is to remove "Dangerous Old Men" from the Appleseed Course of Fire?
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC

eaglescouter

Quote from: Aim Small Hit Small on June 08, 2017, 11:22:42 PM
So the next step is to remove "Dangerous Old Men" from the Appleseed Course of Fire?

Those distinguished gentlemen were  in fact dangerous old men.
I have no issue with that designation from a historical perspective.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Nashville Stage

I think having "Dangerous Old Man / Dangerous Old Woman" as a separate rocker is a nice compromise. It's humorous & gives credit to those who earn it, yet gives each person the option to wear it (or not) as they see fit.

hogfamily

If we are talking patches.

I would like to see a Daughter of Liberty patch.
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Yankee Doodle

So, while understanding and acknowledging the potential litigation piece - surely there's something that can be done.  I honestly think that if it ever came up, given it's place in the heritage portion of our program it wouldn't be something insurmountable in either legal or PR space.

But if it is that serious of a concern, why not an "Alarm Lister" rocker or some such.  Perhaps as separate wording on the bottom of the Rifleman patch (RIFLEMAN - Betsy Ross Flag - ALARM LISTER)?

After all, that's what all the Dangerous Old Men were in the historical context - and they proved their mettle was equal to that of the Minutemen and colonial militiamen.

The silver/grey Rifleman patch is a great idea regardless of whether or not there's a DOM/DOW patch or rocker....offered as a choice to those 65 and over who shoot the Rifeman's Score.
Young Members Committee -National Society,  Sons of the American Revolution

Interested in the SAR?  Shoot me a PM and I'll help you on the path to Being Revolutionary!

"Nil desperandum, -- Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it."
― Samuel Adams

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"  ~Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775 at St. John's Parish Church, Richmond, VA

First Rifleman: Ramseur- 26 June 2012
Requal/Orange Hat:  Charlotte - 19 April 2015
Red Hat: 27 April 2017
Shoot Boss: 10 February 2018
KD Qualified:  Ramseur -  30 December 2018

Twineagles

Quote from: DrRichP on June 08, 2017, 10:04:55 PM
Hmm. How about a flat Grey rocker the reads "Dangerous Old" and can be put on top of a Rifleman's badge, so it would read 'Dangerous Old Rifleman'?

That would get my vote
Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Dude

Why not just use DOM/DOW, and let them explain when people ask...... ?
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Bazooka Man

Lots of input here. I'm happy to see the interest in this issue. It appears that "Dangerous " anything is off the table. Maybe this will work? Everyone at their first Appleseed heard the colorful story of Samuel Whittmore and at age 80 how he fought the Redcoats. How about a new Rifleman's Patch called the "Whittmore Patch or Rocker?" Gray/Silver Rifleman patch/rocker with lettering across the top reading "Whitmore-Rifleman?"

Whittmore-Rifleman!  That should get all you potentially dangerous old men back on the range.  ^:)^
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC