News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Suldersville, MD (Delmarva Sportsmans Assoc); Sat May 13, 2017; AAR

Started by WhyWon, May 14, 2017, 08:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhyWon

Three shooters, MDshooter, CatGravity, and I made it out for a pre-Mother's Days modified Known Distance 1-day event during a rainy, windy, chilly overcast day in the low-50s.

This was my first time at Delmarva Sportsmans Association in Sudlersville on the eastern shore of Maryland,  a well-maintained active club with an active events schedule.  [Check out their Facebook page].

We did our morning briefing and having heard the 3 Strikes, I gave everyone a copy of latest edition of The Lexington-Concord Battle Road: An hour-by-hour account of events preceding and on the history-making day, April 19, 1775 (which used to be available in 2016 directly from Concord Chamber of Commerce but it looks like their on-line store is still off-line).   

Afterwards, shooters zeroed at 100 yards, checked their dope for 200 yards, and then did one AQT.  We broke for lunch, for an abbreviated history lesson, discussing General Thomas Gage's order to Lt Col. Francis Smith (page 7) and young Elizabeth Zane's role at the Siege of Fort Henry.  Following lunch, we did three more AQTs.

The Delmarva Sportsman Association long-distance range has a maximum distance of 200 yards.  Mike (MDshooter), our event host, and I set-up full size "D" paper targets at 100 yards, my full-size "D" steel targets and scaled paper targets to simulate 300 and 400 yards - all at 200 yards.   

Two shooters (Jake and Mike) were certifiably Service Rifle ringers, scoring excellent groups at both 100 and 200 yards with iron sights in hazy conditions.    Both scored Rifleman during all four modified KD AQTs, with our remaining third shooter just missing it by one point twice.

As a closing surprise, Mike (MDshooter) had made scalled "Morgan's Shingle" targets from black foam core board, which we posted at 200 yards as an end-of-day challenge to close our event.  Of course, the wind and rain then decides to pick up again, gusting around 12 mph.   Once again, Jake does a phenomenal job, nailing the shingle with his Service Rifle (see the photo below).

Many thanks:
- To Delmarva Sportsman Association for use of their range and clubhouse
- Mike (MDshooter) for all his help and creativity
- CatGravity for instructing and helping us, and of course
- Our three attendees who were all just nice people to spend the day with.

Thanks again everyone and I hope to see you all again soon on the path to gunlightenment.

V/R,

WhyWon
NRA Patron • GOA Life • SAF Life • MSI Life • VCDL • RWVA
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Ramseur, 2-12 !

BeSwift

Sounds like you did an outstanding event in difficult conditions (I was out in it too, at Marriottsville)... I'll look forward to picking your brain about this when we next cross paths...  Thanks!!    BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations