News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Danville, IL, April 29-30, 2017 AAR

Started by TheEditor, April 29, 2017, 11:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Day One:  Congratulations to our 7 shooters (we had 5 pre-regs), who showed up in the rain, with the forecast for the last three days showing a 100 percent chance of rain Saturday and Sunday.  The forecasters were right on the dot, as it rained all morning and misted and threatened rain all afternoon. 

Our shooters exhibited persistence, teachable attitudes, and good spirits despite the weather. 

Anshutz signed on at the last minute an orange hat, and provided invaluable assistance, both to the shooters and in watching the line while I helped shooters. 

Our thanks to Danville Rifle and Pistol Club for hosting us; their new and improved facilities (clean warm well lighted classroom just steps from the line, graveled firing area that withstood the wetness well) helped make this a successful shoot. 

We shot one AQT today, I've attached a picture of it.  I'm not making this up - the shooter's name was John Adams.  He is an experienced shooter, but this was his first Appleseed, and his first AQT.  250 points.  Rifleman! 

Tomorrow we expect similar weather; we're going to ignore it, work around it, and shoot some KD. 

Looking forward to it. 

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Rev.357

Wow!  Great work John and John. Be careful out there. The front came through Mattoon  like a house afire about 6.  The system stretches from Austin to Indianapolis. But if you're shooting 250, it's like the Bishop's round in Caddyshack.  I don't think the really heavy stuff is going to come for quite a while. 
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

TheEditor

Day 2 - a lot of fun and a lot of progress. 

Four out of seven shooters returned for day two, with the rain pouring down this morning, after winds strong enough to overturn one of the two porta-potties on the range. 

The rain abated somewhat, and we were able to get in three AQT's this morning.  Two previous Riflemen requalified; Colt and Terry.  Terry achieved two personal goals as well, qualifying with iron sights and a bolt action. 

Caleb, who fought equipment problems yesterday but made good progress, scored 201 on the first AQT.  John, our Rifleman from yesterday, helped outfit Caleb with an excellent rifle and even more excellent coaching, and Caleb shot a 240 on the only AQT we did this afternoon.  Thanks, John, and congratulations Caleb. 

We shot some KD this afternoon, and Caleb sighted in his .270 at 100, then started banging the steel with regularity at 200 and 300 meters.  Colt made hits at 200 and 300 with an Enfield and a Mosin, and then put 7 out of 8 on the steel at 300 with my Garand!  Caleb also shot my Garand and made good hits at 300. 

Kudos to our Sunday shooters, for showing persistence and ignoring the rain and wind to participate in America's Heritage. 

The History was well received, and Caleb is planning on getting a Garand from the CMP. 

Thanks again to Anschutz (Frank) for sharing the instruction duties with me, and thanks again to Danville Rifle and Pistol Club for accommodating us. 

And thanks to all of you who make Appleseed happen across the nation.

TheEditor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Colt45

I want to say I really enjoyed the chance to shoot at 200 and 300 yards (and my one very satisfying shot at 100 yards that knocked the steel target right over), as the range I belong to is sadly only 50 yards. Being able to play with rifles at more than point blank range was a treat for me. So, thank you John and Frank for running the show, the Danville Rifle and Pistol Club for providing the range, and everyone else for being in such good spirits despite the wonderful weather.

Colt45

Don't see an Edit button here, so...

I happened to take a few pictures with my cellphone. In an attempt not to make them take up all the space on the page, I put them all together and shrunk them a bit. You can see that things were a little rainy, particularly next to the downspout.

Shooter30-06

Congratulations to all the shooters and instructors on their perseverance.  A big congrats to the new Riflemen.  John, when you shoot a 250 on your first AQT you deserve to be called President Adams!  Perhaps the handle of a forum name?  I hope no one was in the porta potty when it blew over! :)
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

MCZplus

Great shooting!!!!
What was John Adams using to shoot with ((cal, ammo), model, optic/iron)?
Mike
1st Appleseed: 2015-10-03_Volga_IA
3rd Appleseed/Rifleman(216/219): 2017-09-23_Volga_IA
5th Appleseed/Rifleman(225): 2019-09-28_Volga_IA

Nashville Stage

TWO FIFTY! WOW!  :bow:
That's awesome!
Very nice shooting, John Adams. I'd frame that target & hang it.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."