News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Never Forget Never Surrender..

Started by Josey Wales, April 19, 2017, 09:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josey Wales

Project Appleseed has made many Americans reunite with their collective American heritage. April 19, 1775 is a date I  and many others will never forget.  Let us not walk softly into the future but with the harsh reminder of our collective heritage. May God bless all patriots that swore an oath to our Republic both past and present,  Amen..

..Strength and Honor, Josey Wales..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Bob S

I'm trying to post some pictures of an amazing memorial. In Ft. Green Park, in a Brooklyn neighborhood is a crypt filled with the remains of about 11,500 Patriots. They died on prison ships off the Brooklyn Shore - Wallabout Bay. They were starved, beaten, and died of disease. More Patriots suffered and died on the Prison Ships than all the battles of the American Revolution combined. They refused offers of release, if they renounced American Independence.

The 5 photos are 24 bit JPEG's,  about 1MB  each. I can't find help on the forum.
Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages.
                                            ~ General George Washington

PHenry

There's iron in your words sir!  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Charles McKinley

Hi Bob,

I have a terrible time posting pics but here is a link to the parks website:
https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/fort-greene-park/monuments/1222

Josey Wales, Amen.

CM
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Bob S on May 04, 2017, 07:19:51 PM
I'm trying to post some pictures of an amazing memorial.
(snip)
The 5 photos are 24 bit JPEG's,  about 1MB  each. I can't find help on the forum.

Here's a tutorial on posting photos: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23641.0

In a nutshell:
- Crop and/or compress the photos to 1024 x 1024 pixels or less in area, and 150kB or less in size (1 MB is too large).
- Then upload them to your photo hosting place of your choice: Photobucket, Flickr, Google images, etc.
- Once uploaded, copy the link addresses that point to those photos & paste them in a forum post.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Bob S

:F
One of the facts I didn't mention - the prisoners came from all thirteen colonies and at least thirteen different nationalities.
Thanks for your suggestions gentlemen. I have my work cut out for me.

Crazyduckhunter

Information and learning about events like this is what brought me to Appleseed! Thant you.

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Nashville Stage on May 04, 2017, 08:59:45 PM
In a nutshell:
- Crop and/or compress the photos to 1024 x 1024 pixels or less in area, and 150kB or less in size (1 MB is too large).

If you have access to it, PowerPoint works well for this. Insert your images and then you can crop and annotate. Once you have them the way you want them, choose Save As and then choose the jpg format instead of PowerPoint presentation. These will be an appropriate size for uploading.

- Then upload them to your photo hosting place of your choice: Photobucket, Flickr, Google images, etc.

Facebook works as well.

- Once uploaded, copy the link addresses that point to those photos & paste them in a forum post.

Make sure to use the address of the image, rather than the address of the thumbnail of the image.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Bob S

Here is a link to the beginning of an album - https://goo.gl/photos/4BKxWop1G8sa4GE76

Under these steps, behind the green door, is the entrance to the crypt, where the remains of 11,500 Patriots are laid to rest. Did they know what would become of their suffering? The next photo is an inscription from the base of the monument. The diorama depicts, British guards watching, as prisoners buried in shallow sand graves as many as ten dead prisoners per day (for the duration of the war), on the shores of Brooklyn. The pistol is a replica of the firelock carried by General George Washington during the American Revolution.

Bob S

PowerPoint sounds like a nice touch  O0

Nashville Stage

Quote from: St8space on May 04, 2017, 10:42:41 PM
Facebook works as well.

Hrm... I thought Facebook links from outside domains would typically break, especially if the person clicking didn't have a Facebook account.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Kholin

If the issue is just resizing teh image, Faststone photo resizer will let you specify how to resize the images, point it at a folder, and it resizes everything there into another folder.  I use it on all my photos after events to get them forum-sized.

Kholin
---
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."― Tom Paine

"We must be willing to pay a price for freedom." -H.L. Mencken

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." -H.L. Mencken

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Nashville Stage on May 05, 2017, 12:50:41 AM
Quote from: St8space on May 04, 2017, 10:42:41 PM
Facebook works as well.

Hrm... I thought Facebook links from outside domains would typically break, especially if the person clicking didn't have a Facebook account.

I was not aware of such an issue. I've been using fb for my posts and, thus far, have not had any feedback regarding missing images. I believe instructions elsewhere in the forum suggested the use of fb, hence why I have been using it. I did have an issue of an image disappearing, but I believe it was because I got in a hurry and accidentally used the thumbnail link instead of the link to the image. Any more explanation you can provide would be appreciated, even a link to an explanation would be cool. I may just switch to Google anyway, because I am not a huge fan of fb.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: St8space on May 05, 2017, 10:58:04 AM
I believe instructions elsewhere in the forum suggested the use of fb, hence why I have been using it.

The forum post suggesting fb for hosting images is in the aar sticky posts:
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23641.0

Oddly enough, the images in that post are no longer visible (at least not on my phone). Lulz. Sure enough, I looked back at an older post of mine with many images and 3 of them are no longer visible. Guess I need to select an alternative moving forward...thanks for pointing this out Nashville Stage.

Nashville Stage

Yeah, Facebook seems to be a moving target (pun intended). When you finally figure something out, they change it on you.

I didn't realize that Facebook was mentioned in the tutorial. Perhaps it's time to update it. I've discovered a few things about how the forum software displays photos best (1024 x 768 is optimal). I should add that information in there, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob S

For now I've been able to create an album using Google, create a link in one of my prior posts, and view the photographs.  ^:)^  Success  ^:)^
In a nutshell the pictures are created than stored on a third party server. Than linked to the forum. How and Who, there are many choices. Now I'll be able to take the focus off the process and put it on the content. Thank You all for your suggestions. When I became familiar with the Prison Ships story and access to the monument is so routine - a neighborhood park. It added another level of appreciation for the cost of our independence.