News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2009 Plans for Missouri Appleseeding

Started by Greg in MO, December 30, 2008, 04:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg in MO

Hey gang,

I had a nice chat with Fred last night and then a followup with Chris.  Chris is super busy with work at the moment, so I figured I would step up and try and get the ball rolling, and let folks know where we stand.  We need to hit the ground running this year.

The gist of it is that Fred wants us to do 30 Appleseeds in MO this year.  He wants 60 in 2010.  I know it is a daunting prospect, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best to meet that goal.  We can't have some place like CA (or god forbid, IL) outshine Missouri this year.

At the moment we have 4 shoots and a RBC scheduled at the (not quite built) DAR in Osage Beach. 

We have recently acquired a range in far NE MO, and one near KC.  So that makes three.

To hit 30 shoots this year, we have to do a number of things:

1.  If possible, we have to have more shoots at our semi-existing DAR.  That means it has to get built ASAP.  We have a scheduled work weekend Jan 31-Feb 1 and you need to be there to make sure it gets done.  Without that DAR we are sunk.  Longshot will let us know what he needs prior to that weekend, but get yourself there and help where you can.

2.  We have to have at least a couple more places to shoot.  We have done great picking up 2 new ranges in the last month, but we will be lucky to have 4 shoots at the gun club near KC, so even if we could have 10 at both the DAR and the private land in NE MO we won't make it.  Get your butts out there and find us some places to shoot!  And yes Rebel Yell, I'm looking in your direction  ;D.  With 5 ranges, we only need a shoot every other month at each, and with more it becomes even easier.  If you know of a possibility, contact Chris or myself and we will get there ASAP to do an evaluation and fill out the paperwork.  Places near Springfield and STL should be a priority, but anywhere would be great at this point.

3.  We currently have (to my knowledge): 1 Shoot Boss, 2 Red hats, and 6 or 7 IITs in the state.  Obviously not enough.  Fortunately, most of our IITs are close to RH status.  Try and get to an early shoot this year and complete your steps (study that history!).  Travel out-of-state if you have to.  Travel is a good thing, you get to meet a lot of great instructors out there.  We need more shoot bosses, 'cause Longshot can't cover a shoot every weekend.  But you have to have your RH first. 

We need more IITs as well, so push people to take the Orange Hat.  Tell people your positive experiences as an instructor, and get them on the path.  Encourage folks that are headed in the right direction to practice and dry fire so that they can take the hat at their next Appleseed (that means you Ms. Kori  ;)).  The more instructors we have the fewer weekends we each have to travel.  Especially encourage any women that have shown any interest in the program to become an instructor.  How great would it be to tell the rest of the country that we have more female instructors than anywhere else?  If we have at least 4 people willing to register for an IBC we can make it happen, even if we have to have it at my house.

4.  We have to do a better job with promotions, and I have dropped the ball in this category as much as anyone.  Time to pick it up.  If you know of a gun show scheduled for your region, let Chris or someone know so that we can get promo material (and hopefully a table) there, especially if there is an upcoming shoot scheduled in that area.  We need to push all the avenues we can, using Craigslist, community calenders, flyers at gun shops, radio call in's, whatever, to get people out to these shoots.  Hit your favorite other gun forums hard to get the word out.  Don't let them off when they claim they already know how to shoot.  Post the positive articles we have had written about us lately.  Push the FREE for women and children HARD. 

5.  We can't afford to wait until April to have shoots in MO.  If we lose January-March, and November, December we have lost almost half the year, and our instructors forget everything we've learned.  Fred has already said that cold is no excuse, and the NM boys (and others) have shown that people will show up even if it's cold.  If we need to schedule snow/ice days due to travel concerns so be it, but we can't wimp out just because it is cold.  Heck, Ben loves to camp in the cold!  So find us some place we can shoot in Feb/March! 

6.  Remember folks, this stuff isn't going to do itself, and "someone else" isn't going to do it for us.  We are all busy, and we all have other commitments in life, but if we help each other out we can get this done and put our State and Country on a better path.  Besides, do YOU want to be the one to explain to Fred why we didn't meet our goals? I know I don't  &)...

Finally, best wishes to all of you for a Happy New Year that will be chock full of Appleseeding.  So get ready, 'cause here we go!

Greg

ben1775

Agreed. I've already been leaning on my Dad to have an AS on his place, its not ideal but we can get 20-30 on a line and have camping accommodations for at least that many. I've already convinced him to have a mini, lets hope I can get a little more out of him. His place is around 10 miles from Cameron so pretty good for the KC/St. Joe area. No promises.

Fred

Quote from: Greg in MO on December 30, 2008, 04:20:09 PM
The gist of it is that Fred wants us to do 30 Appleseeds in MO this year.  He wants 60 in 2010.  I know it is a daunting prospect, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best to meet that goal.  We can't have some place like CA (or god forbid, IL) outshine Missouri this year.

Mainly, he doesn't want you MO guys sitting around next Dec, 30 Appleseeds under your belts, and someone saying, "I bet we could have done FORTY...", and people starting to sniffle, a little.

BTW, what happened to your moxie? If someone says you can do 30 (note: I did not say "try for" or "see if you can..."), then one of you oughta swagger a little and say, "don't insult the Great State of Missouri - you say 30? Well, then, I say we'll do FORTY!" And then do it.

...With 5 ranges, we only need a shoot every other month at each, and with more it becomes even easier.  If you know of a possibility, contact Chris or myself and we will get there ASAP to do an evaluation and fill out the paperwork.  Places near Springfield and STL should be a priority, but anywhere would be great at this point.

"It becomes easier..."?

OK, MO guys, let's perk our ears up, and get crackin' - anything that's easy should be something to inflame you into some real activity. :) (BTW, no 'fun' intended about that statement - it is easy!)

3.  We currently have (to my knowledge): 1 Shoot Boss, 2 Red hats, and 6 or 7 IITs in the state.  Obviously not enough....

Let's see, ten instructors, each doing ten AS/year (a low average, I may add) = 100 Instructor-Appleseeds for MO. With thirty Appleseeds in MO in '09, that means three instructors available for each. Very doable!

4.  We have to do a better job with promotions...

Listen to Greg. He's spot on - it makes the difference!

5.  We can't afford to wait until April to have shoots in MO.  If we lose January-March, and November, December we have lost almost half the year, and our instructors forget everything we've learned.  Fred has already said that cold is no excuse, and the NM boys (and others) have shown that people will show up even if it's cold.  If we need to schedule snow/ice days due to travel concerns so be it, but we can't wimp out just because it is cold.  Heck, Ben loves to camp in the cold!  So find us some place we can shoot in Feb/March! 

Another one hit right outta the park! Appleseed has to be a 12-month program (wait until we get a hard hold in Alaska! :) ). HAS to be. So get your minds and attitudes adjusted now, for the long haul.

6.  Remember folks, this stuff isn't going to do itself, and "someone else" isn't going to do it for us.  We are all busy, and we all have other commitments in life, but if we help each other out we can get this done and put our State and Country on a better path.  Besides, do YOU want to be the one to explain to Fred why we didn't meet our goals? I know I don't  &)...

Worse, how'd you like to have to explain it to your kids, when the ship sinks - and even if you can finesse that, how will you ever explain it to the toughest person of all - yourself?

Best not to have to face THAT.

:)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

ben1775

Ok, after a little more work on my Dad he is 99% committed and is just dragging his feet now (my Mom's on board so the decision has really already been made ;)). So we need to evaluate his property and decide if it's up to snuff (I believe it is). The only issue now appears to be parking especially if it's really wet, but a Rifleman adapts and overcomes so no problem O0. I will be up there for some shooting on new years day so if anyone cares to join me and evaluate feel free to PM me. I will also be available Saturday if that works better.

Ben

stopemnow2008

If we don't care then how can we ask someone else to?

wcmartin1

Quote from: stopemnow2008 on December 30, 2008, 10:44:47 PM
:)Just let me know what I can do. @@)

Welcome, Ma'am.

Great attitude!  I think you're in the right place.  O0
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Greg in MO

Ben,

Outstanding!  I knew you came from good stock.  I will give you a call and we'll figure out which day will be best to come check the place out.

Stopem, welcome aboard!  PM inbound, so check your messages.

Greg

cmidkiff

Hey Folks... Thanks for the thread, Greg :)

Fred:  We're busy here... no time for these long, drawn out conversations... don't you have other states to poke?  How's South Carolina coming along?

There's a Missouri Carry Christmas Party on Saturday, at an indoor range in St. Joseph.  I'll be meeting with Stu, the land owner of the range in N.E. MO there, and discussing dates.  Also, I'll be discussing indoor Mini-AS's with the range owner.

Ben:  I'd be happy to take a look at your possible location... PM me with your number, perhaps I can make a run up that direction tomorrow.

I had a good conversation with Longshot last night.  The new range is still 'in the rough', as they say.  He's going to get with Thor (who is, after all, the land owner) about getting the ground cleared.  For the work weekend, we need chain saws, shovels, rakes, and hands to man them.  I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of orange hats down there in late January working that raw land into the DAR we need.

Stopemnow:  PM Inbound.  Happy to have your assistance.  Texas county, right?  Hour and a half SE of Springfield, less than that from Ft. Leonard Wood... sounds like a great place for a shoot to me!

MemaJean

Hey There,

Just a word on the matter of promotional materials.  Mema Jean and I have been working on a media kit.  We have put together a disk of 11 items so far that we have edited for clarity and ease of use.  Each item can stand alone or be put together for particular groups. Its a work in progress and is on its way to Sam and the Colonel.  We are continuing to work on it and will send updates ASAP. The goal is to have all materials available on one disk to access, so that we have consistency. 
I just wanted you to know we are working, and still trying to find places for shoots and learning how to set them up. We are still here!!!  O0

Dug'in

Fred

If this disc turns out to be of use, let's be sure to let other states know about it - and even copy some for them...

Thanks, CMK - I needed to be pointed back toward SC, a state I thought I had almost given up on...but I'll continue to "look in" on MO from time to time... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

ErikAnderson

I have been included previously, but make sure I remain on the PM list for the work detail info at the DAR at the end of Jan.  I have an extended startup which may fall during the same time, but nothing is set in stone.  If I'm not in Florida, I'll be at 'the beach'.

rangerron

I am just a couple of hours from the Osage Beach range. What kind of help is needed for the Jan 31 work day? Equipment, tools, etc?

Greg in MO

Bring a chainsaw if you have one, and a shovel.  Longshot will be along presently to let us know if we need anything special.

Looking forward to meeting some of you new folks.

Greg