News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City KD May 20-21

Started by Minutemom, March 15, 2017, 11:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minutemom

Could someone please tell me more about this event?  Are instructors allowed to shoot?  I've never shot KD before (just got my first CF rifle recently!), nor have I instructed at a KD before.  I noticed that there are no students signed up yet.  I might be interested in coming down for this shoot, especially if I might have an opportunity to shoot KD!  Is the instruction any different from a regular AS?  Thanks for your help!  I feel like a newbie here  :-[
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

B.C.

Hi Chris. A known distance shoot is pretty straight forward. It's typically for instructors and riflemen only. Think of the event as a full distance AQT using full size D targets. The basics of battle sight zero are rolled out and taught how to apply hits at 100, 200, 300 and 400. Under the assumption that your scope over bore height is standard a 25 zero will be the same as a 300 zero with 55 grain 223/556. Here is the KD COF: 10 rounds at 100 standing 2 min. 10 rounds at 200 with transition to seated and mag change, 2 and 8 55 sec. 10 rounds at 300 with transition to prone and mag change 2 and 8 65 sec. 10 rounds at 400 in prone 5 min. Sound familiar? Here is the secret sauce to using battle sight zero: 100 - aim at lower 3rd of the D. 200 - aim at lower 3rd of the D. 300 - aim dead center of the D. 400 - aim at the "head" of the D. Real simple and real fun indeed.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Minutemom

That sounds awesome!  So if I sign up in TIPs, am I signing up as a shooter or an instructor?  If I want to shoot, would I sign up like a non-instructor would?  I'm not sure how all this works!  Thanks for your excellent explanation Chris  :)
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

308LIBERTY

PHenry should be the shoot boss for this event, so you might refer any questions about how you should sign up to him. Hope to see you there!

Quote from: Minutemom on March 15, 2017, 04:51:51 PM
That sounds awesome!  So if I sign up in TIPs, am I signing up as a shooter or an instructor?  If I want to shoot, would I sign up like a non-instructor would?  I'm not sure how all this works!  Thanks for your excellent explanation Chris  :)
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

airplanejoe

This event has great potential.

Will it be conducted on the renge Appleseed normally uses (100 yd) with targets scaled to the different distances; or will it happen on real time distances using the 1000 yd range?

AJ

308LIBERTY

I've been promised the 600 yard benchrest range for this event. It also has a raised shooting area out in front of the benches, which we use for CMP competitions. I'm going to try and arrange at least 1 golf cart to haul gear. As long as the weather cooperates, it should be a great event.

Quote from: airplanejoe on March 16, 2017, 01:58:46 PM
This event has great potential.

Will it be conducted on the renge Appleseed normally uses (100 yd) with targets scaled to the different distances; or will it happen on real time distances using the 1000 yd range?

AJ
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke