News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Go Check Your Links

Started by 308LIBERTY, March 01, 2017, 01:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

308LIBERTY

Anyone who has placed links to our website in other forums, FB, ads, event calendars, etc, please go check to make sure the links still direct to our website. FB admins, the "sign up" button may need to be fixed. If all you ever link is the web address (appleseedinfo.org or appleseedusa.org) you will be fine. But if you linked directly to the calendar or other pages, you may find the links broken and it would be good to fix those as soon as you are able. Thanks.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Guntuckian

Yep.  Most of the links broke on FB.  I fixed a bunch of them last night.  The sign up and book now links were broke in almost all cases, if linked to other than EBrite.

--gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Maximum Ordinate

Thanks, 308. 

How to Prepare & direct links to EIPs are changed. 

No point in trying to give a direct link to a state schedule anymore.

Also, there are no longer specific pages for the following, so you'll need to improvise:

- IBC/RBC schedules
- How to Prepare for RBC
- How to Prepare for KD

Any old QR codes are going to be broken as well.

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

scuzzy

Quote from: Maximum Ordinate on March 01, 2017, 02:51:59 PM

I might, repeat might, be able to fix that but there's no guarantee. Wordpress, our new site, does some of what I can URL mangling. Not pretty. I was checking into that last night to see if I can make direct links work. Not sure. I'll give it a shot once I get some other stuff fixed but don't know if it's possible.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Engineer shooting

Quote from: scuzzy on March 01, 2017, 04:16:18 PM
Quote from: Maximum Ordinate on March 01, 2017, 02:51:59 PM

I might, repeat might, be able to fix that but there's no guarantee. Wordpress, our new site, does some of what I can URL mangling. Not pretty. I was checking into that last night to see if I can make direct links work. Not sure. I'll give it a shot once I get some other stuff fixed but don't know if it's possible.

The two "what to bring" links are returning a 404 page cannot be found error message.

Here is some basic info on what to bring:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

Here is RBC-specific info:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/bc_whattobring.html

Can this thing be put on hold until ready for prime time?
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Engineer shooting on March 01, 2017, 06:14:45 PM
The two "what to bring" links are returning a 404 page cannot be found error message.

Here is some basic info on what to bring:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

Here is RBC-specific info:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/bc_whattobring.html

I concur with my esteemed colleague from Florida.  Not ready for prime time.  We can't be expected to scour and update links all over the internet.

Graphics are beautiful, layout is smooth, content wasn't given enough screening from a customer-perspective.

P.S.  Scuzzy - thanks for scrambling to create a redirect to cover the newly-dead link in our trifolds.  Good job!   ^:)^
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

scuzzy

Put a URL mangle fix in place which will at least take care of 90% of links which I consider important:

Links to our schedule from other sites and in specific links to a particular event such as:

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=253&id_event=4041

I'll address other links in order of importance.

Quote from: Engineer shooting on March 01, 2017, 06:14:45 PM

There's times I wish that could be done. But without all of you guys hammering on what we have there is no way I'd have uncovered all problems on my own.

Heck - I found problems last night not yet reported. And dang if when I got up this morning I couldn't remember where. lol. We'll get most bugs hammered out though.

Yes - there are things I don't like too but the problem is that there is no way to please everybody. If we went through committee we might have something in the next 5 years we could all agree on. From a programmer/sysadmin view it gives me indigestion. It doesn't take well to traditional programming.

At least most everybody seems to like it.

Engineer shooting

Quote from: scuzzy on March 02, 2017, 04:50:52 PM

From a programmer/sysadmin view it gives me indigestion. It doesn't take well to traditional programming.

Scuzzy should have first dibs on any format / language / ......  :bow: :bow:

Just my two cents worth.

In the early dawn of microprocessors, I took a graduate Electrical Engineering class. I implemented an Intel 8080 solution to all the problems. A question asked by the professor at the end was "why did you chose the 8080"? My answer was because I didn't know any better. Got an "A".
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

scuzzy

Quote from: Engineer shooting on March 02, 2017, 06:46:09 PM

Scuzzy should have first dibs on any format / language / ......  :bow: :bow:

LOL - they thought I was crazy when I said it should be done in 80686 assembly language. Turns out apache, the webserver, does support that. Just kidding.

Oh well - php ain't bad. WP (Wordpress) makes it difficult though.

But at least lots of people know WP so there's continuity if I get hit by a bus.

We'd be in a bind if done with assembly language. Nobody knows that nowadays. Even hard to find a decent C++ or PHP programmer.

308LIBERTY

Regardless of the speed bumps, the new site looks great and Scuzzy is a hero for getting this done.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

stoneknives

Quote from: Three'oEight on March 03, 2017, 09:42:30 AM
Regardless of the speed bumps, the new site looks great and Scuzzy is a hero for getting this done.

Yes indeed. ^:)^

H

(recovering assembly programer)
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Minutemom

I love the new website!!  It looks fantastic!  Thanks to everyone who contributed!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,