News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka-Manatee, FL - Feb 25-26, 2017

Started by 308LIBERTY, February 27, 2017, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

308LIBERTY

Though I was worried about the turn-out, our students pulled through and made this a very successful event. We had zero no-shows and 3 walk-ons, for a total of 12 outstanding Patriots, who showed a great deal of enthusiasm and tenacity this weekend. We had two new Riflemen and a few repeats. Congrats to Aaron and Angel for earning their patches and Mike C., who not only qualified with a CF for the first time, but also took up the blue hat. Huzzah! Andrew impressed us with new qualifying scores with both a CF bull-pup and then a bolty on Sunday. Mark P showed his usual talent and is getting his daughter Hallie off to a fine start as well. Always a pleasure to have the Rawley family, on their way to becoming a whole family of Riflemen and women. Matt, Manny and Mike P., joining us for the first time, are already rapidly improving and Tom, a fine gentlemen of Liberty, joined us at home on the range, camping out. All our welcome to do so in the future.

This was, by far, the smoothest event I've had since becoming a shoot boss, and I have to give all the credit to the outstanding men at my shoulder, Henry, Ken, Mike J. and now Mike C. When I look to my left and right, wondering where the heck my RSOs are, not seeing them because they are down in the dirt with the students, they are doing it right.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Minutemom

Sounds like a great shoot!  Good job everyone, and congrats to our riflemen!  Thanks for stepping up, Mike C. and taking a blue hat!  Welcome to the family!!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Navy Goat

I'll probably get a bit long-winded as I'm prone to do.  Bear with me. :)

This was my 4th event and I seem to be developing a pattern of qualifying Rifleman every other time.  It was a fine group of individuals to spend the weekend with, and I'm looking forward to seeing them again at future events. 

I'm going to focus a bit more on my decision to don a Blue hat though.  Overall, I've had nothing but positive experiences at every event so far because of instructors like Sly, Dwight, Ken, Henry and Mike, and also because of the like-minded students as well.  To the point that I kind of chatter endlessly about the program to anyone who will listen.

Personally, I don't really have a burning desire to pick up an Orange hat.  That's just me.  Truth be told (warts and all) even if I did have the desire, I've seen firsthand what can sometimes happen when someone does pick up the Orange hat.  Suddenly it's hard for them to get behind a rifle at an event when the instructor/student ratio is a little lopsided.  I've heard (and frankly, made) the comment 'I'd like to volunteer but then I won't get to shoot anymore.'

Then I learned about the Blue hat, and the dim little lightbulb in my head finally lit up.  Hmm, let's see - Blue hats focus a bit more on promoting the program; they cover the admin bits before and during an event; and they can step in as an RSO?  Hey, that's my speed!

And what's the outcome?  Well, as Dwight indicated, pretty darn positive.  Sure, he had to walk me through the admin side of an event and there were a couple of bumps along the way.  I know I still have a ton to learn there, but now he's got another resource to lean on. 

Plus, guess what happens if a Blue hat covers the line for a bit?  The Orange hats get to spend more 1:1 time with students.  That's a huge win for everyone.  And, depending on the overall situation, instructors have a better chance to get behind a rifle at some point during the weekend.  That definitely goes a long way towards solving the 'I won't get to shoot anymore' concern.

So, long story short about volunteering (too late, I know) - there are other options besides the Orange hat.  If there's a desire to give back to the program, there's a way to make it happen!

Marquis de M

Good deal Chewie!
Every step and action helps!
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

OldSwabbie

Although I didn't score well, during this event, I still learned skills that will make me a better marksman, and I still had a good experience. Many thanks to Three'oEight, for running a great shoot, and to all the other instructors, for their positive reinforcement, encouragement and instruction. (I can be a little negative and hard on myself, as you may have noticed. ;))

It was great meeting new fellow patriots and lovers of liberty, especially Andrew, Matt, Mike the Marine, Chewie and Manny. Thanks again to Chewie for getting my car started. You rock, Chief! :D Congrats to Angel and Aaron! ^:)^

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the April Myakka City event, due to a prior commitment, but I hope to make the May event. I will be practicing, that's for sure!

See you in May...?
OldSwabbie

BaldEagle

Congratulations to our new Riflemen Aaron and Angel. Goes to show you how persistence pays off!! Good job to our repeat Riflemen for honing their skill. Our Shoot Boss Dwight "308" was correct it was a GREAT event!  The weather was perfect, everything went smoothly, and best of all was the improving marksmanship and fellowship listening to the stories told of the events of April 19, 1775! I am indeed privileged to work with such fine patriots, students and instructors alike.

Mike C. Congrats on picking up the Blue Hat. You're are correct. Many hands make light work.

I look forward to seeing everyone at future events.

Huzzah!

Ken

OldSwabbie

I see that the May event is KD, so I won't be at that one, unless you need help, in some way. Looks like June is next for Myakka, for me.

B.C.

I have a whole lot of love for the blue hats, I wore one myself for about a year. In my humble opinion all shoot bosses should make it a non-negotiable requirement that all color hats must shoot at every event. (Of course this may not be an option with a large amount of students with little instructors) Those who may not agree need a hug and a fruit basket.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"