News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - NRA Headquarters Range, Fairfax VA February 20-21, 2017

Started by Monkey, February 22, 2017, 10:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkey

Fourteen eager students modified their normal weekday schedules to participate in Project Appleseed VA's 2017 inaugural event at NRA Headquarters Range, Fairfax, VA.  Nestled beneath the iconic NRA Headquarters and Firearms Museum, the range proved an outstanding venue to learn about the basics of rifle marksmanship and how this marksmanship is weaved into the cultural DNA of our free people.

After a thorough safety brief, Day 1 provided a condensed course in developing a proper prone position.  Despite only a couple of hours of on-deck marksmanship instruction that first night, the diagnostic Red Coat targets showed significant improvement, and only continued to do so during Day 2.  After quickly absorbing and applying instruction on the standing and sitting positions, the students commenced a series of AQTs, yielding 3 Riflemen!

Interspersed throughout Day 2, the students learned of the huge role that April 19,1775 played in shaping the events of the world during the telling of The Three Strikes of the Match.  They even appeared a little amused with Monkey's sound effects as he told the stories of the Dangerous Old Men!

Overall a great event at a great venue with even better students!
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Monkey

Some pics.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

navybowhunter

Sounds like it was a great event!

Need to get up to one of the upcoming events at that range.

R/
Chris

KenGilcrest

I had a great time and was really impressed with the progress my niece made. REALLY impressed.

I have been to lots of Appleseeds but I am not an instructor of anything. But, I kept telling her, these guys do this all the time and they can get you dialed in. And, they did. My two guests can't wait to go back and do it again and get that Rifleman patch.

BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

FiremanBob

Ken, your niece is an excellent student, and her ability to focus on continuous improvement and not get flustered was a fine example for all.

What I like best about Appleseed is all the great people I get to meet and work with.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville