News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Palm Bay January 21-22

Started by malabar, January 23, 2017, 03:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malabar

The girls made this weekend shoot. We had a 10-year-old rifleman (er, riflewoman), and a new orange hat. The story of the Salmon family is the stuff of Appleseed Legend: The whole family came to Appleseed when Heidi Rose was eight. Over the next few shoots, Mom, daughter and 90-yar-old mother-in-law all shot a rifleman's score -- but none of the men did. Mom HeidiHeidi started on the track to being an instructor, while Heidi Rose came back again and again and again, shooting and helping out her community.

Having just turned 13, Heidi Rose became eligible to take the Orange Hat. We're all terribly proud of her.

And of mom, too. She's currently working to earn her spurs as a Shoot Boss..   

Dad brought little Libby to Appleseed to light a fire under her. By 10 a.m. Saturday morning she was ready to leave, but she hung in there and began shooting better and better. By The end of the day Sunday, she was a 10-year-old rifleman. 
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

brockkl

Libby was simply amazing. I stood in awe  :bow: of her marksmanship. I hope her Dad will support and encourage her until she's old enough to go to the Olympics, as I think she will medal there. All the ladies there this weekend have pretty much proven what I have always known. For whatever reason, girls are better shots than guys. My wife is Japanese, and when she moved here I took her to the range and handed her my 22. By the end of the day she was shooting better than me.

Thank you to all the red, orange, blue, and no hats. We had a great time, and learned. I left a little early cause of ongoing back issues, which at a certain point, I started  :DH:
And again, I expect to see Libby in competition in a few years of training.Or maybe a military sniper that we'll never hear from again, under the mantle of military secrecy.

Mrdann

What a great and humbling weekend! Thank you Tom, Dennis, Dave, David, Gary, and everyone else. A special thank you to Heidi Heidi. And a very loud HUZZA for Heidi Rose. "Whoooooooooooooose rifllllle is this!!!???"  **)

Brian and I were humbled by our lack of Rfleman patches upon departure. So, we're coming back in February.

See you guys again soon....
"Give Peace a chance!"
I'll cover you, with my rifle, in case it doesn't work.

brockkl

Quote from: Mrdann on January 26, 2017, 07:30:54 PM
What a great and humbling weekend! Thank you Tom, Dennis, Dave, David, Gary, and everyone else. A special thank you to Heidi Heidi. And a very loud HUZZA for Heidi Rose. "Whoooooooooooooose rifllllle is this!!!???"  **)

Brian and I were humbled by our lack of Rfleman patches upon departure. So, we're coming back in February.

See you guys again soon....

Humbling isn't the word for it. My first Appleseed was last October, and I badged Saturday AND Sunday. So as you can imagine, I came into this one all kinds of cocky. Then the wind started pushing my barrel all over creation. As they say, "Pride goeth before the fall". I had fully intended to practice, dry fire and practice more then come back to this event and dazzle everyone with my awesome marksmanship, and my tack driver modified 10/22. I did the practice, and the dry fire, and I could show you some nice targets from that. But it was the wind!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And that would be a good story, if it wasn't that little chick-a-dee Olivia  :bow: What a natural. Even though she was allowed to use a steady rest (Which is fine by me, it's a great confidence builder.) it was obvious she's a natural.

As for your lack of patches, they did mention that some people go back again and again and one of the Orange hats in October took 7 tries to patch. That's fine, keep practicing, keep going back, and you will get it. There would have been more patches, if not for the FReeeeking wind. This is what I can do under "perfect conditions": And we see those every day, correct?

brockkl

As for your lack of patches, they did mention that some people go back again and again and one of the Orange hats in October took 7 tries to patch. That's fine, keep practicing, keep going back, and you will get it. There would have been more patches, if not for the FReeeeking wind. This is what I can do under "perfect conditions" And we see those every day, correct?:
Couldn't find the edit button. If you can't see it, the left 2 targets are missing their bulls
[/quote]