News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NYE KD Pelham, TN 12/31/16

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, January 01, 2017, 03:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

This is the third year we've either started the new year or ended the old with a KD at the Elk River Training Center in Pelham. We do these as one day events just to give instructors and previous Appleseed attendees a chance to qualify or re-qualify so instruction is limited.

We began the day with the traditional instructor breakfast at Waffle House (is there anywhere else?) on Monteagle. Registration started at 7 and we were immediately into the one instruction block of the day on trajectory delivered by Maximum Ordinate and choosing how to shoot the KD.

The weather was threatening all day but aside from the ground being a little soggy and some early sleet weather wasn't really a factor. Our 17 shooters confirmed 25 meter zeros and we moved back from there. The first KD was shot moving out from 100 to 400 with sighters at each stage as we moved. We managed to get in two more that day using the walk-and-shoot method with no sighters.

According to the ol' Wreck's notes we had one new KD Rifleman and 4 re-quals before we were done.

Thanks to Maximum Ordinate, Hard Bean, EddieB, keep_smilin_texan and SureshotSpartan for giving up a day watching football to work the shoot. Thanks also to the shooters who decided coming to practice the skills their forefathers had in abundance would be time well spent.

Next KD in the Tennessee Valley is April at CMP in Talladega. See you there.

Wreck

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Dracomeister

My first KD and I had an absolute blast! Weather was brisk, sleet in the AM and plenty of mud to wallow in but God took pity on us and kept the rain off until we finished. Great group of instructors (yes Boss, my scope was in fact canted about 1 degree) and a fine bunch of shooters. I'll have to do it again! Thanks for a GREAT day!

Just a couple of photos of our 13 year old Rifleman at his first KD (said it won't be his last!)

My Oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America has no expiration date!

Maximum Ordinate

It was a fun event, perhaps because of the sleet and the intermittent rain.  Adversity creates greatness!   :)

I think the Fitbit logged about 4 miles.  We got in three AQTs with a "walking firing line".  That wouldn't have happened without great attitude and motivation from all the shooters.  Everyone hustled when they needed to.   :bow:

My thanks to the Elk River Training Center in Pelham for hosting us! 

-Rusty

P.S.  I'm still coming North for a blue patch!   ;D
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

AH1Tom

This was my first paper KD. I was spoiled on my first one since it was at the CMP Marksmanship Park in Talladega.
Lots of walking, which I can definitely use after Thanksgiving and Christmas. As usual at an Appleseed event it was a great group of people, both shooters and instructors. Even though I have not yet been able to get the coveted long distance rocker to add to my collection I have learned more about my rifle and my skills continue to improve.