News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CO check in who's here

Started by Wade, December 23, 2008, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiehunter

biathalon - I'm not sure about biathlons, but a buddy and i are going out to some Nat Forest land west of Lyons, CO tomorrow AM.  It's supposed to be in the 60s in the metro area, so the mountains should be comfortable.  How far from you is Lyons?

CT9A - I haven't talked to any shops, but we should look into getting a table at both Tanner and Crossroads.  Let me finish the flyers and we can start talking to shops.  You want to start doing the legwork to see what it takes to get a table at the shows?  Probably be like $50, and we'll need to get a banner and some signs.  
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/

CT9A

Sounds good, I'll start calling around and seeing what info. I can dig up. 

East of Lyons or West?  I'm going up tomorrow with my brother and one of his buddies and might be going there (we may go to Pawnee instead, not sure yet).  We'd be going to the area dubbed "the north shooting spot". 

zombiehunter

West of Lyons, and "the north shooting spot" is exactly where we were.  Conditions were great: snow's melted from mostly everywhere and the ground is dry for comfortable prone shooting.  Have fun if you guys head up there; weather's supposed to be good again tomorrow.

CT9A

Awesome, good to hear.  We'll be up there on Sun. morning for some trigger time.  Thanks for the update on conditions.

zombiehunter

I posted a revised flyer and started new thread with appropriate topic description: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5373.

CT9A - How was the range yesterday; many people out?

CT9A

Looks good to me, has all the information and such. 

The range was BUSY!  When we finally decided to pack up and leave there were almost 30 people there other than our little group.

CT9A

Well, I got some information on the gun shows. 

Tanner - 1 x 8' table = $70.00.  $5 discount if payment is received at least 7 days prior to show date.  This is for an aisle table, wall tables cost more.

Crossroads of the West - 1 x 8' table = $90.00.  $10 discount if payment is received 15 days prior to show date.  This is for an aisle table.

Anyone know the name of the gun shows going on in the 'Springs?  I'll get a hold of them too.  I'm trying to get in touch with the show managers to see if we can get a discount or something.

zombiehunter

Quote from: CT9A on January 20, 2009, 08:11:34 PM
Anyone know the name of the gun shows going on in the 'Springs?  I'll get a hold of them too.  I'm trying to get in touch with the show managers to see if we can get a discount or something.

Great work CT9A!   O0

I found this in a co-ar15 forum post from 9-17-08:

Prospectors Sertoma Gun Show at the Phil Long Expo Center
1515 Auto Mall Loop, Col. Springs, CO 80920.

For tables or info call Elden or Sylvia Leasure at 719-630-3976

CT9A

Good deal, I'll give a call in the morning. 

zombiehunter

Sweet.  Let us  know what you find out! 

Does anyone in CO have an Appleseed banner or dispaly materials for gunshows?  I've got a Gadsden flag and Betsy Ross flag that we could use.  Anyone else have other Rev War era flags or other materials?  Maybe we can get a couple hires photos of last years CO Appleseed from boulderphoto and we can make a couple large prints?  Perhaps one of the firing line and maybe some of the instruction?

Link to boulderphoto's shots from last April: www.Boulder-Photo.com/AppleSeed

CT9A

For the Prospectors Gun Show it's $50 for an aisle and $55 for a wall, no discounts for early payment and no discounts for us being with Appleseed.

zombiehunter

Sounds like we need to have a fundraiser... Who's up for a bakesale?  What about a carwash?   I'll do it topless  **)

Seriously though, does anyone know if there is national Appleseed money for buying space at shows?  Or does each state have their own budget for recruiting?  Or do the local Appleseeders generally pony up the cash to get a table at local shows? 

Franktown_Kid

Hello all.

Well I'm officially back from a long "vacation". It's good that while I was gone you've been working on this thing.

So who wants to do the Tanner Gun Show the weekend of 31st Jan / 1 Feb? It's in North Denver and it's one of the larger ones - 700 tables.

I called Tanner Gun show this am. They are sold out of tables for the 31st Jan / 1 Feb weekend. I got on the waiting list. They may call me in an hour, or 10 minutes before the show starts, or not at all. It'll be $65 if it happens. I'll figure out the money for the first one. Then we'll see.

Does anyone want in, knowing it may not happen, may be on short notice, and knowing it's on the weekend of the Super Bowl??

The Tanner Gun Show runs from 9-5 Saturday, 9-4 Sunday. Setup is from noon to 8 pm Friday, Takedown right after the show ends Sunday.

The way I've done this before, is to set up shifts so each person also has time to see the show. We need to have two people per shift so the booth is still manned if someone needs to get something to drink, or go to the bathroom, etc. Since we're exhibitors, we get in free. Parking is free at Tanner.

For those who don't know, Tanner is held in the Denver Merchandise Mart, on the left (as you face it from 58th) back side, it's called the Pavillion. You get off I-25 at the 58th street exit and go east. Turn North immediately onto the street in front of the taco place. Drive to the back and park. It was on your right.

Friday for set up -  Noon - 8 pm - actual time will depend on who volunteers and when they can be there - probably 2-3 hours the first time - this factors in some waiting around. I'd like at least one person to help, preferably two. This is a good way to see what's there beforehand and cherry pick the offerings!

Shifts during the show. Two people per shift:

Saturday am - 8:30 am - 1:00 pm          4.5 hrs
Saturday pm  - 12:30 am - 5:00 pm       4.5 hrs

Sunday am - 8:30 am -  1:30 pm           4.5 hrs
Sunday pm - 12:30 am - 6:00 pm          5.5 hrs includes take down, bring work gloves and winter gear. They open the doors to the outside so vehicles can drive in and out, it's night, and it can get pretty cold.

I'd like to get everything figured out regardless of whether we actually can do it, so we'll be ready for the next one. If we can do this one, we'll have a smoother operation for the next one, which'll be closer to the time the Colorado shoots start up.

While two people could work all weekend and do this, I figure we need about 8 folks to make it pleasant enough that someone would do it again. You'd work half a day, and have a half a day to see the show, which is barely enough. Then the other day you can go to church, do chores around the house, and go sight in that rifle you bought.

What say you? If they call back do I tell 'em we'll be there?

"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them, and these will continue till they have been resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress." - Frederick Douglass

zombiehunter

Welcome back Franktown Kid!  I'll be in Omaha next weekend, so I'm not much help for the upcoming show.  But let's definitely get a table at the next one (Mar 21-22) - I'll even kick in and split it with you so you don't have to carry the cost by yourself.  I think your division of labor with 4 teams of 2 looks good, and I'll commit myself and a buddy to at least one of the shifts for the Mar show.  Since he and I are close to the Metro area, we can take the first Saturday shift of the Mar show so others who have a longer drive won't have to get up at o'dark-thirty. 

CT9A

I'm in for whatever.  I have a couple of medical issues that will constrict what/how long I can help out, but as long as my body holds together, I'll do what I can.  Financially, I can't commit to much of anything, I'll try though.

cornstalker

Hi everyone. My first post on this forum. ColoradoPete steered me here and I like what I see.

If it hasn't already been done, I am pretty sure I can get a stack of brochures in the two most prominent gun stores in Colorado Springs.

I am also a member of Frontier Sportsman's Club and will gladly pitch the the idea of hosting a shoot to the board if y'all want me to.

Chad

zombiehunter

Welcome cornstalker!  That'd be great if you could hit the Springs stores.  Don't use any of the draft flyers just yet - I talked to Franktown Kid a couple days ago and the shoots aren't going to be down in Canon City, plus some of the dates are changing.  Kid worked like crazy to get the Patriot's Day shoot on April 18-19 at Ben Lomond Gun Club and I believe he may have have gotten a commitment for May, too.  Plus he's trying to get some other ranges to pick up the other shoots.  Kid will have more info next week and then we can revise the flyers and start canvassing the state.  Stay tuned.  O0

And speaking of other ranges, it would be awesome if Frontier Sportsman's Club would be interested in hosting a shoot.  There's a lot of good info and suggestions around here on how to get clubs/ranges interested in hosting.  Here's a great place to start.

Again, welcome to the team!

Z

Colorado Pete

Good to see you here Chad! If you're free to shoot at Frontier Sat. 2/21 let me know, I'm planning on going there with Franktown_Kid (our state coordinator) that morning. Would be good to get you two introduced.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

RifleWoman

Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

cornstalker

Count me in for 2/21. Name the time and I'll be there.

Could someone please tell me what an AQT is?

zombiehunter

Quote from: cornstalker on February 14, 2009, 11:21:02 PM
Could someone please tell me what an AQT is?

Army Qualification Target.  Scaled targets to represent 100 yd, 200 yd, 300 yd, and 400 yd when paper is placed at 25m. Stages are fired from standing, sitting, and prone.  Here's a good post explaining shooting and scoring an AQT.

You can get them from Fred. O0

Wade

Dang it
I allmost wish I was stuck in denver again (for just a weekend tho and Defently NOT under the same circumstances as last time I was stuck there) Ya"all have Fun there  O0.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Colorado Sam

Im out of the springs, and was able to make it to the shoot that Franktown-kid hosted (I was the idiot who broke his ankle two days before the shoot  and got to cheat on the standing portion by using crutches :))

A friend and I are putting the roofing on the high poer range at Ben Lomond in a few weeks. So the caretaker and board of directors might be a bit more receptive.

I'll talk to Bill as soon as he gets back from Arizona about it.

RifleWoman

We are in at Ben Lomand.  All the shoots are going to be there.  I've updated the information page to Ramah, CO.  Hope you can make it.
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Colorado Sam

Glad to hear Ben Lomond has great facilities. Me and several friends will be there.