News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CO check in who's here

Started by Wade, December 23, 2008, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade

Hey all

I am here for abit any one up for a mini shoot this weekend ?

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

TaosGlock

Long Rifle an IIT is in Boulder. Just saw him a couple days ago here in NM.
Might give him a PM. I will do the same!
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

CT9A

Denver metro area here.  Just joined, first post. 

Wade

WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

RifleWoman

Wow, one person checks in from Colorado?  This is very sad  :'(  Wade's just a visitor here so he doesn't really count as a Coloradoan but if he's here much longer it will  ;D

Yes, I live in Colorado but I'm having a hard time claiming it.  I've tried to get Appleseeds going here but I get some really stupid reasons why we can't hold an Appleseed at this range or that.  ???  It's all very frustrating.  I was even able to get one setup in California but not Colorado.  There's something wrong with this.  !@#)

If it wasn't for Franktown Kid we'd still not have had an Appleseed here.  Thanks to him and his willingness to let us use his farm, we'd be worse off that South Carolina.  Now at least we've got a few folks that are Appleseed minded.

Only having lived here for a little over 3 years, I have to ask, WHAT'S WRONG WITH COLORADO?  I wear my Appleseed t-shirt at least once a week, and nobody asks me about it.  I try to talk to everybody I know who owns a gun and only one guy and his 2 daughters have ever come to an Appleseed (but he was a friend of mine when we both lived in Utah so they aren't from here either).  I'm beginning to think I live in waste land of doofus couch potatoes. 

What are we going to do here folks?  How are we going to plant seeds in Colorado?  ALL HANDS ON DECK!! We've got bailing to do.

Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

CT9A

I've seen lots of interest on some of the other forums and local to CO only, but at the same time, it seems like no one ever does anything about it.

I would have participated in the one the Franktown Kid hosted, but it was just too far from home for me at the time.

I agree, something needs to happen, but I'm not sure what.  Maybe some flyers at some of the local gun shows or something.  I'd be more than willing to help out as much as I can.

Is there anything saying that we can't do it at a public range like in the Pawnee Grasslands somewhere, or maybe some of the shooting spots outside of Lyons?

RifleWoman

Well the Pawnee Grasslands is federal land and you'd have to have a permit to do a organized event.  Plus it's not regulated and we'd have to compete with all the guys who go there. 

I've tried the Weld County range and a few others down this way. No luck.  I've put stuff in Jensen Arms, Gun Sport in Boulder, and The Front Range Gun Club (the indoor range in Loveland).  I guess there is a small chance of getting one in Greeley this year, but I've not heard anything back on that.  It would be nice to have one on this side of Denver. 

I had to drive all the way from Longmont to Worland, WY to attend my first Appleseed.    :P 

I guess we keep plugging along.  I know that Franktown Kid is going to have more shoots this year, but only one event location for a place like CO is embarrassing.  :-[

It's not a problem to shoot on priviate land if we can get permission from the owners and not upset the neigbors, so if you know of any places maybe you can get something set up.

Wade

Two men  have stepped forward so far to get Free Marksmanship coaching (mini's are normaly like that, free),anymore? pm me.

I don't know Riflewoman I had to drive 1690 miles to my first Appleseed shoot "Devilla TX 11/07" a week long Riflemans Boot Camp, Perhaps CO is just a little slow starting out I think it Will get going this year 2009 I have a Good feeling about the 2 that have step forward so far.

Wade
WOOF!

Colorado Pete

Yeah sometimes I wonder about this state....heheheh. But there are a few of us hiding in the sage and scrub oak who think Appleseed is a good idea. There is a very large and varied shooter/competitor population here, what with IPSC/USPSA, 3-Gun, highpower rifle, silhouette, and all the big game hunters. I think the problem is that word has not spread here yet.  I shot IPSC and highpower rifle for years and never heard the name mentioned until 2 weeks back on the internet.

Boulder Rifle club has 200 yards.
Aurora Rifle club has 200 yards.
Colorado Rifle club has 1000 yards with beautiful fully enclosed pits east of Denver.
Buffalo Creek gun club has 600 yards up in the mountains.
Ben Lomond Gun Club out east near Ramah has I think 300 yards.
Frontier Gun Club in Falcon has 300 yards and is building a new range location which will eventually have 1000 yds with pits.
Pueblo West Sportsman's Association has no less than five separate rifle ranges from 100 yds to 420 yards.
All of these are on or near the Front Range where most of our population is.

I have shot at all of the above except Boulder, and am a member of the latter two. Sounds like Appleseed needs to be presented there on their meeting nights. Gotta find out when they are, haven't been to either one in a while. I'm new to Appleseed, maybe one of you CO folks could help me figure out a good sales pitch? Seems to me we could have at least one range in the Denver area and at least one in the Colorado Springs/Pueblo area active.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Trin Tragula

Fort Collins here.  Just joined recently. Wife and I are going to the shoot in Douglas, WY in May, 2009.
My black rifle only "looks" evil.  It's the man behind it that counts.
Don't be afraid of me just because I have a black rifle.  Be afraid of those who would oppose freedom and what this country stands for.

RifleWoman

Welcome to Appleseed.  Were hoping to have some Appleseeds in Canon City, CO this year.  Well, I'm very sure we will, I'm just waiting for the dates to get them on the schedule.  If you know of any places down your way, it would be great to get more Appleseeds going in the state.

I just joined as well.  I am from Colorado Springs.  I was going to sign up for the april appleseed in Raton, NM at the whittington center.

Where was it done in Canon City?

I also belong to the Ben Lomond Range out in Ramah.  Anyone approached them about doing a shoot there?  Not sure how many folks they could handle, maybe many in their berm area, if these are 25 yard shoots.  There is camping out there too on the property.  They have done boyscout shoots in the past and have hunter sight in where there are many folks.

Thanks
Robert

RifleWoman

The one in Canon City is on a private farm.  It looks like there will be one there for April 19th.  Franktown Kids place.  He's a member of Ben Lomond also and is working on getting the rest of the Appleseed events there.  Hopefully that will work out.

Wade

Well all
Its been fun meeting new friends here and seeing old ones , but I have just taken delievery On my new to me Truck.

See ya all  next time Im here for abit O0.

Wade
WOOF!

Puff-TMD

Still looking for a Colorado flyer team volunteer.

:)  ;) :)  :D
"Liberty means responsibility.   That is why most men dread it."  --   George Bernard Shaw

CT9A

Quote from: Wade on January 06, 2009, 09:59:03 PM
Well all
Its been fun meeting new friends here and seeing old ones , but I have just taken delievery On my new to me Truck.

See ya all  next time Im here for abit O0.

Wade

Take care and safe driving, Wade.

walrus

Castle Rock here. Was also going to look at going down to Raton for the shoot there, but Canon City is closer. I don't see any info on the official schedule, though. Can anyone point me to a link? Heard good things about the Ben Lomond club, and better about the Colorado Rifle Club. Not a member of either, though.

RifleWoman

Canon City isn't on the schedule yet, but should be really soon.  Franktown_kid is out of town for awhile so when he gets back we'll get that information up.  He's also working on Ben Lomand.  Should be going good down that way.  need more on the north end of Denver though.  ;)

Quote from: Puff-TMD on January 06, 2009, 10:23:32 PM
Still looking for a Colorado flyer team volunteer.

:)  ;) :)  :D

I am not sure what that is?  could you elaborate or is it a joke I am missing?  Thanks!

CoLJ

Hi all from Gilpin county.  Thanks funfaler for hooking me up to the board, and a shout out to Colorado Pete.

lj

RifleWoman

Canon City is on the schedule now,  Hurry and sign up.  ;)

zombiehunter

Okay Colorado, it's on like Donkey Kong.  No more snoozing.  We can't expect to recruit anyone without marketing materials.  I figured it shouldn't be too tough, so I took a stab at a draft version of a CO Flyer.  Note it's DRAFT.  I want your input on content - I'll work out a visually appealing layout after we have content.

Putting on our marketing caps, here are the basic reader's questions I think a flyer should answer:

• Why should I care about it?
  • What is it?
  • Where is it?
  • When is it?
  • How much does it cost me?
  • Where can I get more info?

I hashed out the attached pdf fairly quickly, and it can certainly be improved (instead of just using the graphic, perhaps make reference to RWVA, etc.).  Give me critiques on "What is Project Appleseed?"  How would you briefly describe Appleseed?  Again, after we've got content details nailed down, I'll work on layout and prettiness. 
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/

Colorado Pete

Hey CoLJ, good to meet you Sunday!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

CT9A

Looks good to me.  It had all the necessary information on it.  As for how I would describe it, I've yet to attend one  :-\ so I'm not too sure on that.

funfaler

Corrections to the flyer

Kids under 21 shoot FREE.

All current Military (Active, Reserve, Guard) shoot FREE

Keep in mind that 99.9% of the folks reading this flyer will have no clue who "Franktown_Kid" is or how to contact him.

Try "CO@Appleseedinfo.org" for contact emails, that should go to Franktown_Kid.

Email this flyer to puff-tmd here on this forum, he can add it to the shoots Event Information Page.  Or put one he has made on there.

Good work.

The CO Appleseed team looks very promising!  The idea that there are 6-8 folks in the Den area that are willing to work on new locations and promotions, really puts CO leaps ahead of most other states.

We discussed getting 4-5 shoots set up and completed before end of June, and working on an Instructor Course and another 5-6 shoots after that, maybe more!

You all want to make it happen, it can happen easily!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

zombiehunter

Thanks CT9A and funfaler.  I'll update the age, details of active military, and the contact email (the FranktownKid text was just a placeholder and I was hoping someone would chime in with a Colorado Appleseed email, as you did  O0)

I'll prettify it with graphics and layout this weekend, so there's still time to give me your $0.02 (even if you haven't been to an Appleseed, yet  ;)), just get posting!

biathlon

I'm in Laramie just north of Fort Collins. I'll be at the Sydney Nebraska Cabelas early Febuary and will post flyers there as those folks are supporters of Appleseed. I know a lot of Coloradans shop there and maybe that would help. I love to go to the Appleseed shoots whenever I buy a new rifle as it's an excellent venue to give 'em a shakedown. ;)

zombiehunter

Awesome; thanks biathlon!    I'll post a revised version when it's finished.   O0

biathlon

Ya know, Fred's pushin for some winter shoots and Colorado definetly has winter. We could have a snowshoe shoot or if I'm not the only skier we could do a "Biathlon" Appleseed too in the cold.

CT9A

Has anyone talked to the folks at the shops and larger stores around?  Maybe we could put up some flyers on their walls or leave a stack on their counters.