News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Loaners for October 29-30 Piru

Started by cooler2442, October 01, 2016, 08:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooler2442

Will there be loaners available for the Oct 29-30 Piru? I forgot to put in my Eventbrite that I may need one. I'm bringing a 5.56 rifle but not 100% sure if I'll be able to use it all weekend. Do I need to buy the 22lr ammo before hand or will I be able to buy it on-site for the loaner?

I also have a friend whois shot guns in Florida before but doesn't own one here and he's interested in attending but would need a complete loaner + purchase of ammo. What would be the best way for me to get him setup?

whangdoodle

Loaners will be available at Piru. Bob 210 is the shootboss for the event and you can message him to confirm the loaners. It might take a while for him to reply as he's a busy guy. Ammunition will not be available for sale at the event. You will need approximately 400 rounds for the weekend per shooter. I would call it safe with 500. Bulk ammunition is fine to learn on but better stuff is more consistent. Bring chairs, lunch, sunscreen, eye and ear protection, a shooting mat (or something to avoid lying on rocks), and lots of water. There's a more comprehensive list here: https://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html.

As for your rifle,  look into getting a GI sling for the event if you don't have one already. Having your rifle zeroed at 25yds will also make your first day easier. Also, we like center fire guys on the right side of the line, just FYI for when you're setting up in the morning.

Any other questions, let me know. I'll check this thread periodically.

cooler2442

Quote from: whangdoodle on October 04, 2016, 03:58:05 AM
Loaners will be available at Piru. Bob 210 is the shootboss for the event and you can message him to confirm the loaners. It might take a while for him to reply as he's a busy guy. Ammunition will not be available for sale at the event. You will need approximately 400 rounds for the weekend per shooter. I would call it safe with 500. Bulk ammunition is fine to learn on but better stuff is more consistent. Bring chairs, lunch, sunscreen, eye and ear protection, a shooting mat (or something to avoid lying on rocks), and lots of water. There's a more comprehensive list here: https://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html.

As for your rifle,  look into getting a GI sling for the event if you don't have one already. Having your rifle zeroed at 25yds will also make your first day easier. Also, we like center fire guys on the right side of the line, just FYI for when you're setting up in the morning.

Any other questions, let me know. I'll check this thread periodically.

Thank you for the detailed reply. So I'm good to tell my friend that he can sign up and he just needs to buy 500 rounds of ammo and bring the typical items to appleseed(mat, protection, etc) since he doesn't own a gun?

whangdoodle

Yep, have your friend sign up. We got him covered. You too if you want to swap out rifles sometime during the weekend.  Also, all the loaners are 22lr just in case there's any question. Last shoot at Piru, round count was 327 I believe for the weekend. 400 rounds should be good. 500 is just the safe bet. One thing that no one mentions is that having a little table for your magazines, ammo, and lunch is very nice to have. A cooler works too. I've got one of those folding chairs with a folding table on the side that's really convenient. But I'm fancy like that.

edit : (Current interpretation of California Law now prohibits instructors from loaning rifles at events.)

cooler2442

Forgot to ask but is the S&W M&P 15-22 still banned from Appleseed?

eaglescouter

Quote from: cooler2442 on October 06, 2016, 02:00:24 AM
Forgot to ask but is the S&W M&P 15-22 still banned from Appleseed?

Yes it is currently banned.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

cooler2442

Is this good ammo to order for the event? I don't have a 22lr gun so haven't ordered ammo for it before.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/36452

whangdoodle

The Federal Automatch is ok. The CCI standard velocity and mini mags are better.