News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed Certificate as proof of training for FL CPL?

Started by berkowwm, August 10, 2016, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berkowwm

Hi everyone!

I apologize if this topic has been addressed already somewhere on the forum, but I was unable to find it in the search.

It's been a year and a half since I participated in an Appleseed event, and I forgot whether or not we were given certificates for participating. If so, I was wondering if such a certificate is acceptable as 'proof of training' for a Florida CPL application, and if there is any way to have a certificate re-printed?

I have had an active Michigan CPL for several years, but can't find my old training certificate to use in my application for a Florida CPL since moving to Gainesville.   I did participate in a weekend Appleseed event in Gainesville back in March of 2015, and I have all my targets and my Rifleman patch, but I can find no certificate!  I am really trying to avoid taking another basic handgun class if possible, but I will do whatever I can to get my CPL up-to-snuff in Florida!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I appreciate any information that anyone can provide!

Sincerely,

Bill

First-time Appleseed: March 21, 2015
Best target: 227!  ^:)^   

2 clicks low

No. Appleseed is not an approved course. If it was taught by a SB who also happened to be an NRA instructor he could issue you a certificate. I have done it a few times and use my own certificate with my NRA credentials.
FROM FLORIDAS FAQ:

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A
copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
• any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
or a similar agency in another state;
• any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
• any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors
certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
• any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security officers, investigators, special
deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
• any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified
by the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

malabar

To summarize what 2clicks wrote: It's not the COF, it's the instructor. You must have a certificate of training from a state-certified or NRA-certified instructor.  So if your Appleseed instructor also is an NRA instructor, he can issue a separate certificate. It must be signed and list the certification number of the instructor.

Not sure if it's necessary, but I always include language like this on the certificate....

The successful completion of this course, as demonstrated by the award of this certificate, attests that the recipient has met the minimum requirements of Chapter 790.06 (2)(h)(3) F.S.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

2 clicks low

Malabar is correct in the reference to 790.06 in the certificate.
Attached is the certificate I've been using for a decade, insert your Name & Number
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

berkowwm

Thank you very much for the replies and the information!  I thought that might be the case but I definitely wanted to check, since some of the wording on that Florida web site can be a bit confusing for the uninitiated.

I really appreciate your time!