News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, NC Riflemans Boot Camp October 16-21, 2016

Started by Engineer shooting, August 05, 2016, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

Part regular Appleseed weekend   :---

Part KD, earn a patch   O0

Part IBC, move up a rank   ..:..

Camping, shooting,  story telling, something for everyone. Get out the word!     ~~:)
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Henry Foxall

"Tell the men to fire faster and not give up the ship. Fight her till she sinks!"(Attributed to Captain James Lawrence, USS Chesapeake v HMS Shannon, June 1st, 1813)

The ship is sinking - bailers needed. Apply here!

RaggedHole

Finally got the sign off from the wife and signed up tonight! Excited about a fun road trip over from Washington. If anyone is coming in from out of town looking to split a hotel room or is somewhere along the way and want to join in let me know, its gonna be a long ride... Hope the well pump gets fixed I heard it is down, it would be fun to camp out there for the week!
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

Schooner

I just signed up !!  I am looking forward to getting active in the program after a LONG year of inactivity.  Just picked up (my first) AR too, a M&P 15.  I cleaned the rifle and then took it to the range last night for first rounds.  It ran flawlessly on Wolf Gold 223, and while that first Redcoat looked pretty rough, after sighting in and a few practice stage fours, I ALMOST cleared my closing Redcoat.  12 of 13 in the red, with one round JUST outside the 300 yd target.  And no 30cal fudge-it tool in sight, more's the pity !  Rang the bell on the shingle, though.  It was a very good night.

A question for the Forum:  I was running Wolf Gold 223, which is 55 gr FMJ.  I will be buying ammo again this week in prep for the boot camp.  The 55 gr wolf did fine at 25 yd, but I expect to be going out further that week.  Would you recommend a 62 gr for the KD range ?  Are the steel core M855 and variants allowed on the range ?  I will also be bringing my 10/22 and bags of Remington golden bullets, of course.

I hope to be camping for the boot camp week and the AS weekend following.  Is there anyone I should ask or send a heads up their way?  I would like to pitch a tent for the week.  I am looking forward to a learning time, a bump in my ITT rating, an improvement in my AQT numbers, and most of all, an opportunity to serve.

~~~~~~~Schooner

RaggedHole

Awesome man! I will be there too camping, just emailed to get some more info on the shower situation since the well was down but hopefully it is back up now. Should be a great week of fun :--- :--- :--- 

Wold Gold shoots just fine and as far as bullet grain goes it all has to do with your barrel twist and what it likes best. I believe the MP15 and MP 15 Sport both have a 1:9 twist which will stabilize a wide variety of bullets. For accuracy M855 ball is not a great choice at all when compared to most every other load, it shoots pretty poorly but Federal, PMC, & Wolf Gold are all good choices for 55gr. http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/

When I get a new rifle I buy about a dozen different brands of ammo in different grains and lock my rifle into my P3 Gun Vice [to eliminate as much shooter error when testing: http://www.ctkprecision.com/p3-ultimate-gun-vise.aspx] and shoot 4, 5 shot groups for each box of ammo. This is a great first step to accurize any gun, and you will be amazed the difference in your groups and find the right ammo for your rifle. I also find for 22LR that CCI Standard, Wolf MT, and SK Standard produce far tighter and consistent groups. I really like growing as a shooter so by using a little better ammo I can really find out when it is me or the rifle and when/how to correct, YMMV.   

Quote from: Schooner on September 24, 2016, 03:59:38 PM
I just signed up !!  I am looking forward to getting active in the program after a LONG year of inactivity.  Just picked up (my first) AR too, a M&P 15.  I cleaned the rifle and then took it to the range last night for first rounds.  It ran flawlessly on Wolf Gold 223, and while that first Redcoat looked pretty rough, after sighting in and a few practice stage fours, I ALMOST cleared my closing Redcoat.  12 of 13 in the red, with one round JUST outside the 300 yd target.  And no 30cal fudge-it tool in sight, more's the pity !  Rang the bell on the shingle, though.  It was a very good night.

A question for the Forum:  I was running Wolf Gold 223, which is 55 gr FMJ.  I will be buying ammo again this week in prep for the boot camp.  The 55 gr wolf did fine at 25 yd, but I expect to be going out further that week.  Would you recommend a 62 gr for the KD range ?  Are the steel core M855 and variants allowed on the range ?  I will also be bringing my 10/22 and bags of Remington golden bullets, of course.

I hope to be camping for the boot camp week and the AS weekend following.  Is there anyone I should ask or send a heads up their way?  I would like to pitch a tent for the week.  I am looking forward to a learning time, a bump in my ITT rating, an improvement in my AQT numbers, and most of all, an opportunity to serve.

~~~~~~~Schooner
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

MinuteManMike

I'm coming in for this one too.  Getting kind of nervous, not sure why.
Born 2.3 miles from where the SHRTW rang out.  The echoes there still ring.

RaggedHole

I saw there were only 32 tickets left, must mean we have a lot more that the 7 we had when I signed up, that's awesome! Anyone know our numbers?

MinuteManMike

Would anyone know somewhere nearby I could pick up TSR200 TECH SIGHTS for my 10/22?

And if so, would someone be able to install it at the Appleseed meet some evening?

I thought my new rifle came with a fiber-optic front sight but the site had it listed wrong.

I don't think I can order a set and get it delivered in time.

Engineer shooting

Quote from: RaggedHole on October 10, 2016, 10:35:09 PM
I saw there were only 32 tickets left, must mean we have a lot more that the 7 we had when I signed up, that's awesome! Anyone know our numbers?

16 so far, should be an epic time   :~
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Thaddeus

Quote from: MichaelMaier on October 11, 2016, 10:52:24 PM
Would anyone know somewhere nearby I could pick up TSR200 TECH SIGHTS for my 10/22?

And if so, would someone be able to install it at the Appleseed meet some evening?

I thought my new rifle came with a fiber-optic front sight but the site had it listed wrong.

If nothing else we can get you a set from the Appleseed Store on Monday - the warehouse is just a few miles down the road and we can do a walk--in purchase (not the usual practice but can make it work for an RBC!)

PatD

Quote from: MichaelMaier on October 11, 2016, 10:52:24 PM

I'll be there (our first appleseed!) And ill have a set of punches with me. Happy to help you get squared away if you can find a set of sights.

hawkeye

The Range has working water and the shower is set up. Steve
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Engineer shooting

Quote from: hawkeye on October 14, 2016, 05:31:23 PM
The Range has working water and the shower is set up. Steve

I just checked and the forum name "The Man" is available if you want to change!   :bow:

MinuteManMike

Just got home and changed my Forum Name to MinuteManMike, as I'd hoped.

Engineer Shooting:  please tell LL I scored my patch and thanks to you both for your instruction help and advice.

Also, Poladeus(????) ran my level 0 (I think).  Please confirm with him.

I don't remember who is who on here vs. their real names.

RAMSEUR 10/16!!!!!!!!!!  Hip Hip Huzzah!

PatD

We also just as got back in the early hours of this AM. This is Pat, and I know Jillian registered on the car ride home and I'm sure she'll post soon.

Thanks everyone for the awesome time, we really enjoyed ourselves. I'm pretty sure on the ride home Jill convinced half her coworkers to come do a weekend with us for the next go round.

We've both been shooting for a number of years, and seeing our improvements over just the week is a testament to what a great program everyone put together. We want to sincerely thank everyone who donated their time to help make this happen, we couldn't have done it without you. I personally want to thank you for getting Jill so much more into a hobby I love  ;D

RAMSEUR 10/16!

MinuteManMike

50ClicksToZero: What was it you used to mount the front sling mount to your Takedown?  Would you have a specific item you can share?

PatD

Quote from: MinuteManMike on October 23, 2016, 03:51:47 AM
50ClicksToZero: What was it you used to mount the front sling mount to your Takedown?  Would you have a specific item you can share?

The one on Jill's rifle was this:
http://amzn.to/2ewibKg

Be aware we had to take a file to the front barrel band (the 2 sides the screw passes through) to make it fit, and I used a drill press to put the hole in the stock. Nothing about it worked without perminately modifying the gun. Also the sling attachments are only 1", and the GI sling is1.25". You'd need to replace the swivels that come in the kit with these to make it work:
http://amzn.to/2ejJjhV

My rifle had a very elaborate plastic ziptie system that worked just as well, along with 1 of the above swivels.

MinuteManMike

Thanks, 50.  I will almost certainly put those on my Takedown and put a sling and scope on it.