News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Battle of Athens

Started by Live Oak, December 18, 2008, 11:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Live Oak

A small bit of little known or spoken of somewhat modern day Tennessee history that proudly followed in the footsteps of the Minute Men of Concord. 

These Americans Patriots were some of the Tennesseeans of McMinn County, located between Chattanooga and Knoxville, in Eastern Tennessee involving the two main towns of Athens and Etowah on August 2, 1946.

What is a VERY sad commentary that comes with this rememberance is that to this day MANY county governments and municipalities STILL behave as undemocratic, corrupt, totalitarian, tryrants while its "citizens" are oblivious, look the other way, or allow their tacit approval much in similar fashion to the loyalist at the begining of the revolutionary war.  The lesson seems to have been lost, NOT learned, OR not passed down to those who came later.   :( 

http://www.constitution.org/mil/tn/batathen.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_%281946%29

Edmund Burke is said to be credited with the quote "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".  Whomever is the originator of this statement, their spirit rings true with those who are believers in liberty as our founding fathers did.

note to moderators:  I was not sure if this was appropriate for the history section which seemed to be geared towards revolutionary war history so I posted it here to help fire things up in this section.  O0 Please feel free to move it to where you think best. 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Junior Birdman

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Live Oak

I did a number of board searches for this subject and nothing came up.  Never hurts as a reminder and now the board search engine can get some tuning up as well.   ;)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Junior Birdman

Sometimes the search engine won't crank.  :)

Thanks for the post though!  It's great American history in the true vein of the founding fathers dream. JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

AlphaCharlieEcho

Search-Fu is a acquired trait... it will come grasshopper  O0
George Washington

Mark Davis

JB's link will not come up for me, sez "off limits"

Cal 7.62

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

therealsteamer

Halsyon005

Virtually the same thing happened in Somerville, TN.  

In the late 1940s, a group, or mob rather of armed veterans placed the court house under siege  :sos:
due to the Lord High Sherriff  ~~:) @&)    
stealing elections by stuffing the ballot boxes and conducting secret counts of the results.  !@#)

The affair was finally resolved when the State police seized the ballot boxes and in fact it was revealed the Sherriff had lost the election.  ^:)^
"Choose the hard right, over the easy wrong."  US Army NCOA

"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

The most fundamental right - is the right to exist; it is the right not to be exterminated - - Sarah Connor

magnificant Tales of Survival at www.jerrydyoung.com

"I'm not complaining, you have to expect the first Apocalypse to be a little rough on people, once we get a few of these under our belts, I'm sure things will smooth out nicely."  MikeyEllis

What ever happened to "Live Free or Die"?  Have we forgotten, or do we just not care anymore?

Halsyon005

And today if the same thing happened    :sos:

Those that were not shot and killed by the ATF   :---   ..:..

Would land in Guantananmo as domestic terrorists  ++)

How far we have fallen  :wall:
"Choose the hard right, over the easy wrong."  US Army NCOA

"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

The most fundamental right - is the right to exist; it is the right not to be exterminated - - Sarah Connor

magnificant Tales of Survival at www.jerrydyoung.com

"I'm not complaining, you have to expect the first Apocalypse to be a little rough on people, once we get a few of these under our belts, I'm sure things will smooth out nicely."  MikeyEllis

What ever happened to "Live Free or Die"?  Have we forgotten, or do we just not care anymore?