News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Question on bringing Grandson to Appleseed

Started by NightFisher, July 07, 2016, 12:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightFisher

My 17 year old Grandson and I are coming to the Charlottesville Appleseed this weekend and I just thought about the fact that he is still a minor.   :wb:  Is there a form or other requirement that I need to bring with his parents signature for the event?  I did not see one when I did a quick browse on the AS website.

Weezer

There is a waiver for minors; however, I'm not entirely sure you need it since you're the grandparent.   We usually only require those when a minor comes alone or with a friend (and not a family member).    Let me ping Scuzzy and get the final word on that, but I think you're okay.   
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

scuzzy

Each state has different rules. I would probably be OK to just bring him out. BUT - you know how laws are these days.

Go to the link below and look at #5 on the list. Print out the liability waiver and have the parents fill it out - just to be on the safe side. That said - arrgghh lawyers.  :wb:

http://appleseedinfo.org/confirmation.php

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Weezer

Thanks, Scuzzy!    You're like a walking encyclopedia of Appleseed knowledge.   :bow:
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Rev.357

How did that 17year old shooter make out this weekend ?
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

NightFisher

Rifleman....  147 on Saturday, studied the How to fire the Shot and Common Firing Line Errors Saturday night and shot a 211 on his third AQT Sunday. ^:)^

Texas T

Awesome. Understanding the basics, and doing a little work to ensure that they become a part of the process of firing the shot, can really make a difference. Congratulations to your grandson.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

NightFisher

I am really proud of his accomplishment.  I also found that he is a real asset at an Appleseed, you just have to teach him one additional firing line command, Go Fetch....

Go downrange and fetch our targets, I'll stand here in the shade and load our mags.
Go fetch us water, I'll stand here in the shade and load mags.
Go fetch stuff for the instructors and help them set up / pull down, I'll stand here in the shade and pack our stuff.

There is a pattern to these commands.

Rev.357

Phenomenal.  My guess is, he will continue shooting. Couple that with the respect this young man clearly has, and there is hope for our country and our world. Many today do not know what they are about and never will. This man knows. My Dad always said, it does no good to say go ahead boys.  You have to say come on boys. It's pretty clear that Grandpa knows what he is about as well.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1

Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

Messer

Well - as one of the folks working the line at this shoot - it was a pleasure to meet & work with you both.

And Congratulations go to both of you for making Rifleman!  ;)

Your Grandson was a good student - he had a great attitude, and took coaching well.

Hope to see you again,
Bob S.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

The Wolfhound

Indeed, both grandfather and grandson know well what they are about.  I wish I had caught on to your forum presence before the day after the shoot.......
I was fun working with you both.

NightFisher

Thanks for the kind words and great instructions this weekend.  On the way home Devin told me that this was the best trip ever, he had a great time.  He was thrilled when I let him shoot my rifle with a scope and he made  his 211.  I was relieved that I could take his rifle and qualify right behind him with his irons to show him the old man still had it.

NightFisher

Quote from: NightFisher on July 12, 2016, 12:43:11 AM
I was relieved that I could take his rifle and qualify right behind him with his irons to show him the old man still had it.

One more thing on this, it gave me a great talking point with him on its the Rifleman, not the Rifle that makes the score.

Rev.357

You got that right.  All across this great land of ours there are closets full of unscratched rifles fully accessorized with bling and froufrou.  I am always impressed with shooters who distinguish themselves with with a jar (just another rifle).