News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega CMP KD May 28-29 Observations

Started by Bazooka Man, June 04, 2016, 01:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka Man

From what has been posted, it appears that AS rules state that transitions will not be allowed with ammunition in the rifle. OK, I understand that...rules are rules. Well, if that is true, why is transitioning allowed with tube fed rifles with ammunition in the tube? Do the rules state that it is OK IF THE PLUNGER IS NOT INSERTED? Or, is that something that some AS Instructors decided that is safe, even though it is not in compliance with AS rules? Are all instructors knowledgeable enough to know that a particular tube fed rifle cannot chamber a round unless the plunger is inserted? I believe you would find that some tube fed rifles CAN chamber a round with the plunger out. Who is responsible for this departure from the rule requiring no transitions with LOADED rifles?  #)
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleer™ Patch (220)

dond

On pages 22 and 23 of the IM, transitions with tube fed rifles are to be done with ammunition in the tube, the plunger locked, the flag in, and the safety on. Loading will begin when fully in the sitting or prone position. At that time the flag is removed, the safety taken off and a round chambered. With the flag in during the transition a round cannot be chambered. With mag fed rifles the mag may not be inserted before the loading process begins. There is nothing specifically said about not transitioning with ammunition in the rifle. That is simply a natural assumption when talking about mag fed rifles. It is best to refer to the IM instead of what someone else may say.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Bazooka Man

Dond,
Thanks for the explanation. I am not an AS Instructor therefore I don't have access to the manual you referred too. Apparently I am not the only one who should refer to the manual. Also, I see no difference in what you described with the tube, ECI and safety than the 2 round clip, bolt over ride, safety and incorporation of an ECI with the M1. For what its worth, the M1 does not use an external mag. It uses a clip to fill the internal mag. I'm  through  :DH:
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleer™ Patch (220)

Torin

Not to change the subject, and not to be critical, just want to point a few things out from Rusty's earlier post.

Quote from: Rusty on June 06, 2016, 12:55:15 PM

We spent some time in the classroom Saturday morning explaining the difference between the traditional paper AQT targets and what we've improvised for shooting at Talladega.  The sizes and shapes are different, but the electronics allow us to score accurately to areas we define.  Appleseed's standard is 4MOA - hitting a man sized target out to 500 yards but the paper target is a little bigger - so we adapt the rings to as close as we can.   

Í understand the 4 MOA standard, but the size used for the electronic targets at all but 600 yards - in terms of width - just did not come close to the 24 inch wide D-model target used at other ranges. It is a substantial difference, readily apparent to anyone who has attended a KD shoot that used D-model targets. The potential overlay of D-model targets is good news, but curious as to how the electronics are going to score those hits. 

We planned and shot 4 AQTs with plenty of time for prep, hydration, and target resetting.

AQT #3 was never completed - we went to 600 yards at #3 and that 600 yard shoot became the first round for AQT #4.  End of the day, we only shot 3 AQTs.

in Liberty,
Rusty
[/size]

I also saw on here somewhere that someone said we shot 350 rounds. I fired 270, including all AQTs and did not shoot - maybe - 6 sighter rounds. I can't imagine how anyone fired more that 300-310 rounds. People tend to exaggerate this number.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
― John Philpot Curran