News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shooting after Appleseed

Started by Specialkay, June 02, 2016, 02:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Specialkay

I'm looking for a little bit of direction, and I'm hoping some of the extremely experienced individuals on here can help guide me.

I don't have a whole lot of rifle experience. I learned how to shoot in the scouts. I originally lived up north outside of Philly, and rifle ranges weren't very common. I got more comfortable with pistols, as I can find a pistol range a lot easier (and cheaper) than I can find a rifle range. Options on rifles opened up when I moved to central NC though.

Wanting to get more into rifle shooting, about a year ago I found Appleseed when I asked a few people about a good introductory rifle marksmanship course. I had a blast, and went to my second AS where I got my Rifleman patch. I volunteered to be an Orange Hat, and I believe I'm waiting on forum access before I can move forward.

But I don't really know where to go next. I'd like to do a KD event in the near future, but other than that I'm a little bit without direction on where to go. It may sound stupid to some of you guys, I get that, but I don't know what to do to improve my marksmanship skills.

I'm not much one for competitions. Never really have been. I have a stressful, competitive job, and I don't really like doing that in my time off. Although I enjoy pushing myself, and getting better. So while CMP or HighPower sound like options, I'm just not too sold on the idea.

So what do you do after you go to Appleseed (aside from the instructor part, which is really about giving back and the heritage, less on the improving your marksmanship side) to improve your shooting?

Do you just go to a range and put a few hundred rounds a month down range? Sounds fun, but I don't really know what I'm working toward. If any of that makes sense.
May 2016 - Rifleman - Ramseur (216)
June 10, 2017 - KD Qualified - Ramseur (33/40)
June 11, 2017 - KD Perfect Score - Ramseur (40/40)

SteelThunder

No I don't have too many ideas...except:

Winterseed
Infernoseed
KD
Go back to 25M Appleseed - perfect your score
More KD
Appleseed with iron sights (if you used a scope) or with a scope (if you used irons)
More KD
Appleseed with a centerfire
Appleseed shooting support side
Appleseed with a bolt gun
Appleseed with a different rifle
More KD
3-Gun
Precision rifle courses
Carbine courses
More KD
Go back to 25M Appleseed - perfect your weakest stage
Pistol courses
IDPA
More 3 gun

Shooting is like martial arts...there are many variations and even if you stay in a single discipline, PERFECT is an unachievable goal.  I have a stressful, competitive job too with long hours and frequent international travel.  I revel in the 3Gun competitions and formal training classes in other disciplines as a great release...totally occupies my mind and allows me to forget about that ugly thing we call a job.

ST2
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Luminous Rabbit

There are a fair number of rifle skills that the basic Appleseed doesn't cover.  You already mentioned a KD shoot, which will cover dealing with centerfire, drop, and doping the wind at least a bit.  Other things:
- target range estimation with irons, scope, and rangefinder
- getting appropriate drops for "in-between" distances
- target finding with the naked eye, scope, and binoculars/spotting scope
- positions not covered in Appleseed, of which I would say rucksack prone, bipod prone, and barricade are the most important
- pushing your rifle to distances where wind is more of an issue (>400 for 5.56, >600 for .308/.30-05)
- more precise than 4 MOA shooting (which goes along with the more precise positions)

Beyond that you're looking at peripheral skills, like stalking.

Mark Davis

Rifle competition in not like a stressful competitive job. Most the other shooters are glad to have you and friendly, kind of like appleseed.

Specialkay

Quote from: SteelThunder on June 02, 2016, 02:57:58 PM
No I don't have too many ideas...except:
. . . [insert laundry list] . . .

I was somewhat expecting a type of response like that.  >:D

I'm in no way saying I've mastered or am in anyway done with AS. I've taken it once with a bolt 22lr (and didn't shoot rifleman) and another time with a semi 22lr (and hit rifleman). I'll probably go back with a centerfire, and another time with a bolt, and another time with a scoped rifle. I think it would be very helpful to go through it again with different rifles I own.

But I was thinking more beyond AS. If that makes sense. It's a great course, and I have a blast. It's also a great course to do a refresher every six months or a year. But on a platform that I'm already familiar with but want to get better, I'm not sure another, or different, AS is really what I'm looking for.

Quote from: Luminous Rabbit on June 02, 2016, 02:58:42 PM
There are a fair number of rifle skills that the basic Appleseed doesn't cover.  You already mentioned a KD shoot, which will cover dealing with centerfire, drop, and doping the wind at least a bit.  Other things:

. . .

But is it better to pick one of those items at a time and work on them on your own?

Quote from: Mark Davis on June 02, 2016, 03:19:12 PM
Rifle competition in not like a stressful competitive job. Most the other shooters are glad to have you and friendly, kind of like appleseed.

My mentality may be different from what many High Power or CMP events are like. I realize that. But the heart pounding, hand shaking, nerves to get the shots off in the time allotted, isn't really what I enjoy.

But maybe I should try one before I attempt to judge them  ;)

Laredo

irons
KD
UD
Shooting with Friends
refining teaching skills
researching/reading historical rifleman teachings
Shooting with Friends

Some random thoughts:

What I have found is that the rabbit hole is REAL deep.  I hang around guys that are way better than I.  Just when I think I am becoming an expert (LOL), I learn about something else that I didn't even know existed about our art.... and the journey continues.  This really is a journey...  I remember when I heard about Parallax...  I thought to myself "holy crap - what the heck is this all about?!"  I just couldn't grasp the concept.  Now its silly... I get it. 

Because of the guys that taught me and continue to influence me - I can shoot 2-3 moa without trying real hard.  That is with just about anything you put in my hand.  25 meters or 500 yards.  I am content with that for now.  What I want to learn more about now is Unknown Distance and Ranging.  I hope to get better at that this year.  Who knows whats next.

Get involved with the people in your region in Appleseed.  Go to as many shoots with as many different SB's (if possible).  There is just a wealth of knowledge and fun to be had in this org.  As you hang around the more seasoned guys and gals, your shooting will improve beyond what you thought possible.  For new guys... You dont know what you dont know... so just go to a lot of shoots and you will find your way.  My recommendation (some may poopoo this) but go to at least one shoot a year as a shooter...  Its good practice, its fun, and its a good reminder of what its like on the other side... 

Here in the Wi, IL area, we do 'Breakfast Club'.  That is where we, as instructors, all meet once a month to shoot together.  We are all hard on each other and dont let each other get away with anything... thus we continue to improve...  We dont always hit it every month... but it is fairly regular.  Find some instructors in your area and start a breakfast club...  You will learn tons from them.  And dont forget the most important rule of all:  Don't take yourself too seriously and have some fun!!!

Hopefully you have not been waiting long for forum access.  If so, shoot me a PM and I will assist.
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Specialkay

Quote from: Laredo on June 02, 2016, 03:28:57 PM
What I have found is that the rabbit hole is REAL deep.

I think that's what my problem is. It isn't that I don't have options. It's that I have TONS of options. What next is the question.

Quote from: Laredo on June 02, 2016, 03:28:57 PM
Get involved with the people in your region in Appleseed.  Go to as many shoots with as many different SB's (if possible).  There is just a wealth of knowledge and fun to be had in this org.  As you hang around the more seasoned guys and gals, your shooting will improve beyond what you thought possible.  For new guys... You dont know what you dont know... so just go to a lot of shoots and you will find your way. 

In reality, that's why I offered to be an IIT. I learned as much in between AQTs as I learned shooting them. Sure I enjoy the patriotism, and the giving back. But with the home range 30 min away and an opportunity to learn from other Shoot Bosses, instructors, and IIT's, for free none the less, why would I say no?

Luminous Rabbit

Quote from: Specialkay on June 02, 2016, 03:28:30 PM
But is it better to pick one of those items at a time and work on them on your own?

I'm self-taught on most of those topics, so it's definitely possible.  You need a long range somewhere, ideally with some terrain features, and it's nice to have  a buddy to hide targets. 

Pelon

I enjoyed going to Bang Steel in VA.  You can find him online.  You will shoot from 100 to 1400 yards over 2 days.  He will help you make a range card for 'your' rifle.  If you set it up right and your rifle has enough come ups you can shoot at his 1 mile target.  6 of us Appleseeders went together and had a blast.  And yes 4 of 4 of us that shot at the mile target hit it.  (only one of our rifles had enough come ups to see the target so we had to all share that rifle).  He also has a ton of info online to read and learn.
Another option is to check into other .22 competitions in the state.  There you will be shooting from 25 to 200 yards at tiny steel targets.  You'll have more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  I was amazed what my .22 would do at 300 yds...  it was a little like firing a mortar but was fun to learn.  If you have trouble finding those rimfire competitions just PM me and i'll send you some contacts.

Pelon

henschman

Quote from: Specialkay on June 02, 2016, 02:45:33 PM
Do you just go to a range and put a few hundred rounds a month down range? Sounds fun, but I don't really know what I'm working toward. If any of that makes sense.

For me, the goal I'm working toward when I'm shooting is the same goal the founders had in writing the 2A: as a defense against tyranny.  I try to choose training, shooting events, and practice drills which advance that goal.  You could work on weapon manipulation, close quarters skills, long range precision/sniper skills, fire and movement (working some physical exercise into your shooting drills is a good way to train), low light shooting, small unit tactics, land nav, knife/hand to hand/weapon retention skills, force on force, any number of other things... whatever you think would make you the most effective as a defender of life and liberty you can be.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

DEH

Never stop learning.  There are many more schools out there. 

Never stop teaching.  You will continue to learn the more you teach.

Get on the appleseed trail and both opportunities will present.
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

jmdavis

You first need to decide what YOU want. We can offer you scores of ideas, but what is it that you want. Do you want to shoot precision? Do you want to teach? Do you want to train? Do you just want to have fun?

Shooting well is not about how many rounds you put down range. It is about the quality of how you put rounds down range. If you are in central North Carolina, go check out a High Power match at Sir Walter. Next year, take a couple of days to go to the Creedmoor a Games at Camp Butner. Shoot the field shoots at Ramseur. Take up precision pistol with a 22. Shoot zombie matches. There are many things that you can do. But knowing the people involved, one of the first that I would do, is take my center fire and pistol and do a field shoot in Ramseur.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Heavy Cav

Hone your skills as much as possible at Ramseur, best rifle instruction you will find for the price.  Scoring Rifleman is just the start.
22LR, .223, .308, 30-06, NEXT...

Agrivere

Quote from: Specialkay on June 02, 2016, 03:28:30 PM

My mentality may be different from what many High Power or CMP events are like. I realize that. But the heart pounding, hand shaking, nerves to get the shots off in the time allotted, isn't really what I enjoy.

But maybe I should try one before I attempt to judge them  ;)

I would definitely give the CMP or Highpower matches a try. As many know I shoot them a lot and love it. You can get many things out of it, but competition presents an opportunity to execute your skills in an environment where you have to deal with stress and time and anxiety and it will make you a better shooter. Plus you can help get those guys and gals involved in Appleseed.

It certainly might not be your cup of tea at the end of the day, but give it a try with an open mind and you might just like it. Camp Butner (north of Raleigh) has matches regularly and a lot of great guys shoot there regularly.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Guntuckian

Well, I have added shooting a Brown Bess musket, casting bullets, getting NRA Certs, starting to run a bolt gun, hand loading, traveling to new ranges and even states to teach and meet more Appleseed folks, and learning new oral history stories!  Rifleman is just a beginning.

--gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Burnett

If you fancy yourself a good shot, one thing I would strongly, vehemently even, suggest you avoid at all costs would be trying rimfire silhouette shooting. ‘Cuz what'll happen is you'll go to a shoot and look at the silhouettes and think "easy" and after you shoot a round and score an embarrassing low 2 or if you're really lucky, 3 out of 40 you'll realize that your opinion of your shooting ability was what I like to call "WRONG".
Then next thing you know you'll be building a rifle with a hair trigger and adding weight right up to 9 pounds 15 ounces so you don't go over 10 pounds. You'll be buying an expensive scope with adjustable focus and running your shooing info for a .22LR through ballistics calculators meant for snipers just so you can hit that damned chicken at 40 yards and make the little SOB stop taunting you. And it will taunt you.
Nope. Avoid rimfire silhouette no matter what.
Trust me.
O0

Creakyknees

Kay,
Glad you posted this thread. I found myself in the same situation a while back. if you want to improve your pistol shooting, my club hosts a monthly IDPA fun shoot in Reidsville. Very laid back and safe shoot. PM if you want to come out sometime and I'll give you the details.
Creaky

Specialkay

Quote from: jmdavis on June 02, 2016, 08:06:13 PM
You first need to decide what YOU want. We can offer you scores of ideas, but what is it that you want. Do you want to shoot precision? Do you want to teach? Do you want to train? Do you just want to have fun?

There are alot of really good ideas here. I appreciate all the options, suggestions, and contributions.

I think for me, I'm interested in learning to consistently hit targets, in tight groupings, at reasonable ranges. Assuming I can get that down fairly reasonably, I'd like to learn to do it at further distances, then under shorter time constraints. All while having fun.

In other words, I'm looking for phase 2 of Appleseed, if that makes any sense. AS taught me good fundamentals, to hit targets at 25 yds, under time constraints. I'd like to take that a little bit further. To learn to hit targets at 100 and 200 yards, with consistent groupings, under time constraints.

After that, I'm interested to see where the trail takes me.

So keeping that in mind, any suggestions on which direction will work a little more effectively than others? Understanding, of course, that there are several opinions on the matter :)

Specialkay

Quote from: Agrivere on June 02, 2016, 09:11:53 PM
I would definitely give the CMP or Highpower matches a try.

Seeing where I'm at, do you think that's a good next step?

I always assumed, and my assumptions very much could be wrong, that CMP or Highpower matches were a means of putting your skills to the test. A matter of putting pen to paper, to see if your training is accurate. But what if you haven't really trained?

I'm just concerned about going to a CMP match right now at this point in my journey. I don't think a CMP match is the best place for me to really first start shooting at a 100 yd target.

henschman

It sounds like what you are really looking for is a full distance Appleseed.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Heavy Cav

Do the RBC at Ramseur, you do a complete Appleseed, complete KD Appleseed, then run a complete Appleseed for training, and after that do the regular Appleseed on Sat/Sun.  Between all that you get to do target detection, range estimation, shoot all the way out to 500, and learn more about shooting then you would in actual Army Boot Camp.  Will be 8 days of training you can use to get to the next level.  Just ask anybody that has attended one.
22LR, .223, .308, 30-06, NEXT...

Specialkay

The RBC is going to be difficult for me to attend. My wife and I are expecting our first child on September 17th (or, + or -, depending, of course). I already know I'm going to be taking some time off for that, so about a month later to take a week off will be difficult for me.

Overall, it sounds like this is probably what would be best for me:
- I did a 22lr last two times I went to AS. I'd like to progress to centerfire.
- I have a .308 Remmington 700PSS, without a scope, a rack grade AR15, and an AR lower receiver.
- My eyes aren't horrible, but I've noticed I've been having some issues with stage 4 of the AQT. I'd probably do better with an optic.
- So, I can either get a scope for the 700, or build an AR upper that has a modest scope, to shoot out to 500 yds.
- Once I get that figured out, join a gun club or range and get comfortable with the rifle at 100-200 yds.
- Attend a KD event.
- Assuming I enjoy the KD event, perhaps attend a Bang Steel event.
- See where it goes from there :)

Sound like a suitable plan?

navybowhunter

CMP or NRA Highpower, likely in that order would be my suggestion.

Most CMP matches are held on the 200 yard line, Standing/Rapid Prone and Slow Prone, this is for JC Garand Matches/Springfield/Vintage Military and Modern Military matches.

It is a GREAT place to learn what it takes to perform well in the discipline, and dare I say a "Gateway Drug" to NRA High Power.

I know several instructors in here, that only shoot the CMP games matches and have not opted in yet on high power.  That is cool!  Whatever it takes to get you out on the line amongst like minded people.

A CMP match does not require a TON of shooting gear, and most competitors will loan you the gear required (spotting scope is one item that comes to mind here).

There is also a new CMP match (fairly new) called Rimfire Sporter, that is geared very similarly to the Appleseed AQT.  There are also M1 Carbine matches, that are shot on the 100 yard line, that mirror our AQT as well.

Lots of options, and lots of FUN to be had!

Specialkay: I'll be at Camp Perry the week of 25 July, Cadence on here and I will be teaming up again.  If you want, PM me, and I'll bring up a spare M1 Garand (if you do not have one yet) and we will get you shooting in the big dance!  It is AMAZING to see the Garand Match at Perry.

It is not about the score, it is about the experience!

Speaking more on the "Experience", what I found was that jumping in with both feet was a good thing in my case.  Prior to Appleseed, I was a "show up at range to sight in hunting rifle" guy.  Dabbled a bit in USPSA (pistol stuff).  After Appleseed initial experience (about a year) I found how much I LOVE shooting the rifle.  So....
Have a good friend that is a Distinguished Rifleman.  He suggested I get involved with CMP/NRA High Power.  I'm not one to do something "half ass", so....I asked him to come to my home, and logon to Creedmoor Sports and help me order the stuff I would need.

It was a heavy price tag, but that was for mostly across the course equipment.  Much of which I use at 200 yard only matches as well.  My first competitive match ever was the CMP Eastern Games at Camp Butner.  Kind of felt like I was getting thrown in the pool, as a toddler before I knew how to swim.  In retrospect, I would not have had it any other way.  SO many people helped me out, and continue to do so.  So....my point here is not to be intimidated by the big events.  Everyone needs to start somewhere.

At a local match I may have met 1 or 2 High Master shooters, and maybe 1 or 2 Distinguished shooters.  Compare that to a big dance like Butner or Perry, and wow!  Can't swing a wiffle ball bat at either venue without hitting a few High Masters or Distinguished Rifleman.  Also, the friends I have met that I continue to stay in touch with are awesome!

SO...my offer is genuine.  If interested in shooting a Garand Match at Camp Perry, I will help ya out!  Few things you would need to do, I can go over via a PM.  First one is logon to the CMP website, and create a competitor number (it is free).

Rest I can help you with via PM.

Anyone else interested, there is nothing wrong with going up to Perry to "spectate" either.  One could learn A LOT by doing just that.  Also, commercial row (the vendors) have some great stuff to sell, many times at a discount.  Best vendor there, in my opinion is CeCa and associates, form fitting earplugs!  They are awesome!!

R/
Chris 

R/
Chris

R/
Chris

hawkeye

Try the field shoots at Ramseur they are monthly and a lot of fun. Look on Home range events for a schedule and what we do at the events.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Specialkay

Quote from: navybowhunter on June 06, 2016, 08:48:01 AM
Specialkay: I'll be at Camp Perry the week of 25 July, Cadence on here and I will be teaming up again.  If you want, PM me, and I'll bring up a spare M1 Garand (if you do not have one yet) and we will get you shooting in the big dance!  It is AMAZING to see the Garand Match at Perry.

It is not about the score, it is about the experience!

I was getting all my paperwork together to submit to the CMP program to get my M1 Garand. I was waiting on my RWVA membership card (everything else was sitting in an envelope) when the CMP posted on their website they are sold out of M1 Garands. My chin hit the floor. I was very frustrated. Well, still am. But that's life. So no, I don't have one yet, and it may take me a considerable amount of time to get one :(

Anyway, that is an AMAZING offer, and I would like nothing more than to take you up on it. I'll have to check my schedule, but it doesn't look promising that I'll be able to attend. I already scheduled a vacation the week before, and was planning on attending the Appleseed event at Ramseur the weekend before. Taking that week off (or even a few days) to travel up to Ohio might be pushing it. But I'll push around and see if it's something I can get away with or not :)

Once I know a little more concretely, I'll let you know. Thank you so much again.

Specialkay

Quote from: hawkeye on June 06, 2016, 01:59:30 PMLook on Home range events for a schedule and what we do at the events.

I can't seem to locate information on the field shoots (although, admittedly I may not know where the right place to look for it is). Any help pointing me in the right direction?

hawkeye

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Specialkay

Thanks much hawkeye. Sorry I was too slow to find it (in retrospect it seems very easy and straightforward).

StevenK

We do reach these things at Appleseed. 
Quote from: Luminous Rabbit on June 02, 2016, 02:58:42 PM
- target range estimation with irons, scope, and rangefinder
- getting appropriate drops for "in-between" distances
- target finding with the naked eye, scope, and binoculars/spotting scope
- positions not covered in Appleseed, of which I would say rucksack prone, bipod prone, and barricade are the most important
- pushing your rifle to distances where wind is more of an issue (>400 for 5.56, >600 for .308/.30-05)
- more precise than 4 MOA shooting (which goes along with the more precise positions)

Beyond that you're looking at peripheral skills, like stalking.

navybowhunter

SpecialKay,

I would be willing to bet that at Perry, the North store would likely have CMP Specials in 30-06 for sale.

There are other ways to be eligible to purchase an M1 Garand, if you are waiting on the RWVA membership card.  Not really sure that is a requirement, I know we SB's have forms we sign routinely for students.

You can also (recommended) join the Garand Collectors Association (GCA), great group, and they publish an AWESOME quarterly magazine, that is chock filled with Garand history!

GCA membership can be procured online for a whopping $25 annually.

R/
Chris