News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifle for KD in NY

Started by sluggo, April 06, 2016, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sluggo

What rifles do you guys use for KD events in NY in light of the SAFE Act? AR's and M1a's are out, right?
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

Dude

A Garand would be ideal.  ;D
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

sluggo

Sure would be! If only I had one! :'(
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

Charles McKinley

Just come a little further south to a more free state.  We have shoots lined up in Western PA and Eastern OH.  You buy the ammo and I'll loan you a centerfire.  Only approved Garand food if you want to use my M1: new ammo sold by CMP, HXP Greek from CMP, or new M1 specific ammo like the Privi Partizan (PPU).

There are no shoots west of central NY I know of and we may be your closest shoots anyway.

Beaver Falls goes out to 300.  KD shoot at New Philadelphia, Ohio just went on the schedule.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

sluggo

What a kind offer! The Appleseed people I have met are really great people!- Very tempting-  But I guess the next question is; could I transport my own AR through NY if it is locked up, and not have to put you out?
-William Hazlitt

Charles McKinley

No idea!

If I go to Battle Road I will be renting a vehicle and buying new luggage for the trip through enemy territory.  I would never be able to confidently clear them of all ammo and spent casings.

It really wouldn't be putting me out.  When you are Shootboss most of the time your firearms miss the attention they should have.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Agrivere

Quote from: sluggo on April 07, 2016, 07:53:36 PM
What a kind offer! The Appleseed people I have met are really great people!- Very tempting-  But I guess the next question is; could I transport my own AR through NY if it is locked up, and not have to put you out?

Federal law applies if you are traveling through a state, so as long as the firearm is properly secured you should have no problem. No stopping in that state other than for simple things like food or gas, or the argument could be made that NY (in this case) was an additional destination and you were not just traveling through.

I'm still cautious though, as I've never felt like trying to explain federal law to some county cop on the side of a road.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

TOMINCT

AFAIK NY and Ct law are fairly similar. No 'new' banned items in the state. So if going to an event with your banned item you would be in violation of the law. Certain exemptions in Ct, but this is the short version.

What about a no 4 MK1? No issues with that and I thought there were some in the Great White North!
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

airplanejoe

Quote from: Agrivere on April 08, 2016, 07:21:21 AM
I'm still cautious though, as I've never felt like trying to explain federal law to some county cop on the side of a road.
Even to a state highway patrolman on the side of an interstate.aj

sluggo

Quote from: TOMINCT on April 08, 2016, 10:22:28 AM
AFAIK NY and Ct law are fairly similar. No 'new' banned items in the state. So if going to an event with your banned item you would be in violation of the law. Certain exemptions in Ct, but this is the short version.

What about a no 4 MK1? No issues with that and I thought there were some in the Great White North!
For sure I have a No 4Mk1* marked "US Property" (Savage)-too bad 303 is so expensive to shoot! :-\
-William Hazlitt

Charles McKinley

Reload or rebarrel to a more available calliber.

Guntuckian

In my No. 4 Mk1*, I can only reload S&B brass twice.  On 3rd reload, I get numerous head separations.  Have picked up some new Starline brass to experiment with, to see if it can do better.  Will be interesting to see what the difference might be.  No noticeable defects in S&B brass on starting 3rd reload.  (Primer pockets on S&B brass, though, have had to be reamed slightly deeper on first reload , for US made primers to seat properly. ). All that being said,  this is my favorite bolt action!

-gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

sluggo

Yes they are really fun rifles.
Do you neck size only? -that helps, some LE's have very loose chambers, so you are beat with not many firings
It is said that you can use a rubber o-ring to push the case against the bolt face to prevent the cases from thinning and stretching in the web area i.e."the O-ring method". The links to 303 british below discount the O ring method, but many other sites  endorse it.

http://www.303british.com/id29.html
http://www.303british.com/id69.html
-William Hazlitt

TOMINCT

If you can load for the 303 there's a lot of info out there to support you. The ones shown above are some good ones and there are others.

Think of downloading it a little also. A couple grains less powder can help. There's a lot of published info to help in this area.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Guntuckian

I neck size only.  With midrange loads.  Have a loose chamber, but headspace is fine. To conserve brass,  I have mostly switched to Ed Harris' "The Load" for the last few years.  It's a light Red Dot load that shoots well at 100 yards.  The brass lasts at least 4 reloadings that way. Also, I use AK 47 bullets, as they are cheap to handload in the 303 brass with "The Load".  YMMV.

-gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

crobjones2

PPU Ammo is a good price. It is what I use in my 2 smiley's
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP303SP180&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+.303+Brit+180grn+SP+20rd+Box&groupid=25
about the same price as new 308 ( non bi-metal)