News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Article promoting AS in Illinois - and two new shoots added!

Started by TheEditor, March 21, 2016, 09:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

The following piece was just published in GunNews Magazine, April 2016 edition. 

GunsSaveLife.com, publisher of GunNews, has been a strong Appleseed supporter since it sponsored the first Illinois AS in 2007. 

Also, two new shoots for 2016 have just been added to the AS schedule.  Help me promote these Central Illinois shoots. 

Here's the text of the article.  It's in the print edition right now; I'll update this post when it becomes available online in a few days. 

Appleseed - It's Not Just for Women and Kids 
by John Naese

Many of you may think you're familiar with the Appleseed rifle marksmanship program - two days of intensive rifle marksmanship training, with a few breaks to hear stories of the Revolutionary War.  But a few of you, I suspect, are not as familiar with the program as you think you are. 

The first myth:  "Oh, it's just a .22 program".  The second myth:  "Oh, it's a great thing for women and kids, but I already KNOW how to shoot." 
Let me dispel these myths.  Centerfire rifles are welcomed and encouraged.  The only reason for the predominance of .22's on an Appleseed line is the expense.  If you shoot your centerfire all day Saturday and Sunday during an Appleseed, you'll go through 400+ rounds; that's starting to get expensive at 75  cents or a dollar a round for .308, and even cheap .223 will run you 40 cents a round.  Since all of the Saturday instruction is done at 25 meters it makes sense to bring a .22 and a brick of ammo for Saturday.  On Sunday, however, if the range facilities allow and you've achieved sufficient accuracy to be sure of hitting the berm at the selected distance, we'll shoot longer ranges.  For the .22's on the line, 100 yards presents a bigger challenge.  If the distance is available, centerfires may be shot at 300 or 400 yards.     

As to the second myth, it IS a great program for women, young people, or any newer shooters with .22's; it teaches safety and marksmanship right from the beginning.  But it's ALSO a great program for all of you who KNOW how to shoot.  Wouldn't you like to shoot better, more accurately, and more consistently?  From field positions, standing, sitting, kneeling, or prone, not just from a shooting bench?  Wouldn't you like to learn how to SAVE money on ammo, by learning to zero your rifle in only one or two rounds?  You CAN do all this - if you check your ego at the door, listen to the instruction, and put it into practice. 

Appleseed instructors are volunteers, with extensive shooting experience.  The cost is quite nominal for the expert instruction you will receive.  And the stories of the American Revolution you will hear during the breaks will make you proud to be an American, and knowing that you're honoring America's Founders by learning marksmanship should make you feel even more pride. 
Here in Illinois, we have several Appleseeds scheduled in the next couple of months: 

Bonfield - April 16 & 17
Marion - April 16 & 17
Georgetown - April 23 & 24
LeRoy - May 21 & 22
Danville - June 4 & 5
Stockton - June 4 & 5
Waterman - June 4 & 5
Bloomington - June 25 & 26

How about it?  Bring a .22 for Saturday and a .22 and a centerfire for Sunday.  Heck, bring a centerfire for the whole weekend if you can afford to feed it.  The cost for adults is $40 for one day or $60 for both days.  The cost for those under age 18 is just $15 for one day or $20 for the weekend.  Both days are recommended, but if you can come just one day, make it a Saturday. 
Take advantage of this fine program close to home.  Do it for yourself, and bring a family member, a friend, or both!  For a complete description of the program, and to pre-register, go to appleseedinfo.org.  If you want to talk to a real person, contact John Naese at johnnaese1@comcast.net, or 217-840-0246. 

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

dond

This is a great article and should help AS immensely. However, the fees are incorrect and could cause some trouble.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Laredo

Great article.  Thanks for taking the time to promote AS. 

I will get the two new dates promoted on Facebook.  I will also link the article.

Again, thank you.

..I wouldn't worry about the fees...
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Shooter30-06

Guns Save Life has been a supporter and promoter of Appleseed from almost the beginning.  They meet monthly at six locations throughout the state and distribute thousands of copies of Gun News in which the above article was published.  The Appleseed schedule is always included.  At the Peoria meeting which I attend we always make a verbal announcement of upcoming events and point out individuals who have distinguished themselves.  GSL usually pays for two events yearly by paying all the range fees.  TheEditor has long been a Director of GSL and should be commended for his efforts.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Rev.357

It is no surprise that such a great article was posted by  TheEditor.  Yep, it's in the April Gun News, page 17, above the fold. There are pics of Shooter30-06 on pages 2 and 13, but TheEditor's article still makes the issue worthwhile. Appleseed events are also good check-ups for seasoned shooters. I had hunted and shot a lot, but never did much prone. Squirrels never returned enough fire to send me to a prone position. So bring that teachable attitude and iron sights or a bolt action,  ooh or a lever action. The worst that could happen is ending up showing off for the women and children.Maybe, if your lucky Shooter30-06 will tell about Washington's Crossing.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.