News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rules changes coming for McMiller?

Started by Leadlined, March 18, 2016, 04:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leadlined

Looks like we missed the DNR comment period; might have to contact your legislator/senator/governor on this one.  It's coming as a new administrative rule, not as a new law.  Not sure if this affects Appleseed there, but we probably should check.

as per
https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/public/RetrieveRmoDocument?nDocumentId=53417

page 13

(2) Property specific range rules.  In addition to the restrictions specified under par. (a), no person shall fail to comply with the following range specific restrictions at the McMiller Sports Center, Kettle Moraine state forest, Southern Unit:
(a) Only rim fire ammunition shall be permitted on the plinking range.
(b) Firearms may only be loaded with a single round of ammunition on all ranges except for the pistol range
(c) The possession or consumption of malt, fermented or alcoholic beverages is prohibited within the center during the hours the shooting range is open to the public.  These hours are posted at the center.
(d) No person may be admitted inside the fenced area of the firing line on any range, except the shotgun trap range, without payment of the appropriate fee.  On the shotgun trap range one puller per trap who does not shoot may be allowed in without payment.

Most of that is fine, but the 1 round at a time, for me, is my last visit to McMiller; it could be trouble for us if enforced for events like Appleseed.
If I knew the world was ending today, I would still plant another Appleseedling. 
-Martin Luther

7/5/2014, First appleseed
9/20/2014, Rifleman
4/19/2015, Orange hat
10/15/2016, Red hat
9/11/2022, Shoot Boss
7/9/2023, Pistoleer™/Pistol Instructor
....and still working on it

Kholin

It looks like rules of this nature do not generally come up to a full vote.  It will go to committee in both Senate and Assembly, who have 30 days to review and comment.  After that, the agency can file the rule.
QuoteEach permanent rule promulgation process begins with the agency's issuance of a "Statement of Scope," which is the agency's public notice that it intends to begin the development of a permanent rule.  The agency may submit an initial proposed rulemaking order to the Legislative Council Rules Clearinghouse no sooner than 10 days after the Statement of Scope is published in the Wisconsin Administrative Register.  The Clearinghouse generally submits comments on the initial proposed rule within the following 30 days.  Subsequently, the agency usually schedules one or more public hearings on the initial proposed rule.  Following the hearings, the agency may modify the rulemaking order based on the Clearinghouse and public comments.  Once it does, the agency submits the final proposed rulemaking order to the presiding officers of the Senate and Assembly for legislative review.  The presiding officers assign the rule to a standing committee that has 30 calendar days to review and comment on the rule.  Once the legislative standing committee's jurisdiction ends, the agency is free to file the rule with the Secretary of State.  Normally, the rule will take effect about 45-75 days later.
https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/public/FAQ#3, emphasis mine

Given that there were no comments during the comment period, it is probably safe to expect no changes before it makes it to the legislature.  It looks like the next step we can take is to follow this, and start contacting committee members and expressing our opinion of it when it makes it to them. 

For an overview of the process, and where we are in it for this rule change, see https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/public/Rmo?nRmoId=20177

I am also reaching out to Wisconsin Force on my own behalf, to ask them to follow up and apply pressure.

Kholin
---
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."― Tom Paine

"We must be willing to pay a price for freedom." -H.L. Mencken

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." -H.L. Mencken