News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

An AR question for my Oregon peeps

Started by Ironbar, October 23, 2015, 12:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironbar

I'm finally putting together an AR build that I can hopefully shoot at the December Appleseed at Douglas Ridge. My question is about mags.

Which is better for prone position, 10 or 20 rounders? I'm assuming 10 rounders would be a no-brainer, but do 20 rounders leave enough clearance to get your elbow under the rifle?

Thanks!

Kimber Custom

I like 20's. More purchase to take hold of during mag swaps. That and I fundamentally rebel against 10 round mags for political reasons :)

cdnnsports.com frequently 20rnd promags for $7 or less.

maxwell

I'm no Oregonian, but +1 to what Kimber Custom said, and the 20-round mags look better, too. I picked up a couple of 20 round AR-Stoner mags from Midway last summer, and I've been really happy with them. I can't get the 20-round mag directly over my elbow, but I have my hand up against the swivel, too. It's nothing like the 30-round mags which interfere with my sling (IIRC; I haven't used them in a long time).

Kosciusko

20-rd USGI work good

look on ar15.com   ,  sometimes you can find VN-era ones still NIB

Roland

Seconding all the above... with the exception of Promag. They have a reputation for bad reliability in everything they make.

I like magpul, c products, and the usgi 20 round mags. All can be found for around 10-12 bucks on sale. The quality is totally worth it.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Guntuckian

I like the 10 round mags for prone, but it is really a Ford/Chevy kind of question.  Personal preference.

-gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V