News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who's up for Anniston?

Started by Appalacious, December 02, 2008, 02:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalacious

I've got to have an M1- I can't take it anymore.
Anyone feel the same way?  If so, let me know.  I want to go this week or next.

J
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Southern Grey

I want one, too. I've been waiting for the 2009 RWVA memberships to be made available and have completed an Appleseed. I have inquired about obtaining the certificate of completion to use to join CMP to be able to acquire one for myself and for my wife (she's done all of the stuff, too.). No one from RWVA has ever responded so I don't know where that stands.

But if I can get my paper problems worked out I'd like to go to Anniston with some knowledgeable individuals to aid me in the selection of a couple of rifles.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."
                                                 -- Ayn Rand

Bama

I didn't notice this post till now, but I went an bought a Service Grade HRA on Dec 3rd, with a bit of ammo. Muzzle 1, TE 2. All HRA except FCG, Stock and Op rod. Great shooter. That day was swamped. It was the first day of in store sales for the Winchesters. Wanting a shooter, I couldn't care about who made it. Winchester service grades were a few hundred more than Springfield or HRs. Many good Service grade HRAs there.

Some field grades measured a 1-2 at the muzzle too, but I didn't mind an extra $100 to get significantly better finish.

I'm now addicted to CMP. I went again on Dec 10th and 18th, too. Have two HRA service grades now. They are supposed to start opening on Saturdays in 2009. Weds I think are usually best for selection, as they often restock in preparation for opening on Weds. There were several empty slots on the racks during the Thursday visit.

If you have not gone yet, do it!
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

Dinky Dao

Hey Southern Grey, I remember you from the Toccoa shoot last month.  :~

Well now, I see an M1 in your near future. 8) Give me a call (614-678-1933), or pm me with your address, and I'll get two CMP certs out in the mail to ya first thing in the morning!

How's that sound?  O0

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

Old Dog

Folks, if you haven't seen my advice on going to the stores before:

Choose for barrel condition, pretty stocks just get scraped and dinged up over time.  They have the muzzle wear and throat erosion ga. at the counter and the guys working there will be glad to either check the barrels or show you how and lend you a ga.  Just about anything else you can replace yourself, getting a new barrel is costly for the barrel and then you have to pay someone to install it properly for you.

Others have suggested checking the rear sight as well to make sure it funtions properly.  There are notches/teeth cut into the rear sight "ears" and they need to be in good condition, too, or the you won't be able to properly adjust the rear sight and have repeatable windage and elevation adjustments (I never thought of that so I guess I was lucky when I picked out rifles).

Get some ammo!!  It's the cheapest surplus you can buy when you get the Greek surplus from the CMP.  It's cheaper than .308 (7.62X51) or .223 (5.56X45).  Buy the ammo in the 8 round clips the first time and then after that just buy the ammo in 20 round boxes and reuse the clips (most folks say they never wear out - some match shooter report using the same 2 or 3 clips for 12 or 15 years of regular match shooting).

Have fun, buy a nice rifle (or three) and some ammo.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Appalacious

Quote from: Bamaboy on December 28, 2008, 03:28:43 PM
I didn't notice this post till now, but I went an bought a Service Grade HRA on Dec 3rd, with a bit of ammo. Muzzle 1, TE 2. All HRA except FCG, Stock and Op rod. Great shooter. That day was swamped. It was the first day of in store sales for the Winchesters. Wanting a shooter, I couldn't care about who made it. Winchester service grades were a few hundred more than Springfield or HRs. Many good Service grade HRAs there.

Some field grades measured a 1-2 at the muzzle too, but I didn't mind an extra $100 to get significantly better finish.

I'm now addicted to CMP. I went again on Dec 10th and 18th, too. Have two HRA service grades now. They are supposed to start opening on Saturdays in 2009. Weds I think are usually best for selection, as they often restock in preparation for opening on Weds. There were several empty slots on the racks during the Thursday visit.

If you have not gone yet, do it!

I was there the same day!
I got 2 HRA field grades.  Gauged around 2 for muzzle.  Seem to shoot fine, but I haven't measured accuracy yet.
I think I need one more, probably a service grade this time :)

I wonder if I saw you?  Who knows.  I wish I had more leave to go sooner, but I'll probably have to wait til spring at the earliest.

J

Southern Grey

Dinky,

We're haunting the mail box now. I sure hope a group junket from Georgia can be arranged. It would be good to make the acquaintance of other Apleseed type folks, too.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."
                                                 -- Ayn Rand

Buzzstrike

Be forewarned..

The CMP is a dangerous place............

For your check book...

The sight of all of those Garands, Carbines, 1903s, and if your lucky some M1917s, and Mossberg .22s OH and almost forgot .30-40 Krags.

Brings a tear to your eye.

Buzz.
Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

Southern Grey

-- Ayn Rand

wcmartin1

Quote from: Southern Grey on January 01, 2009, 12:41:53 AM
Are there ever any M1As?

Nope.  No M14's.  >:(

Don't get Fred started.  :o ;D
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Southern Grey

I sure was a'hopin' that they did offer 'em. The new ones are quite pricey at gun shows and there is little incentive for sellers to negotiate.

I'll keep wishing.
                                                 -- Ayn Rand

Appalacious

I sold my m1a when I got the garands.  Just didn't see why it was worth 4 times what I had just bought.

Now I have a camper!!
J
O0

Southern Grey

Like the chocolate vs. vanilla debate, it's really just a matter of preference. I actually want both and the M1A would have been my choice for first acquisition is all.
                                                 -- Ayn Rand

snaphook75

I will probably be making an early morning run from the NW Atlanta area on Thursday, 1/8 or Wed. 1/14. If anyone would like to join me, send a PM, and we'll coordinate. I would enjoy the company!

Piker

Know that this is an old topic, but I was in Anniston not long ago and since I was not in the Military, they wanted to see my Passport. A Georgia DL does not prove citizenship.

So, word of warning: if you do not have a DD214 or a Military ID Active or Retired, make sure you have a passport in hand before making the trip.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

DrJohn

A certified birth certificate is equally valid as proof of citizenship.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....