News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Potential Milseed - Planning & Discussion Thread

Started by Monkey, September 17, 2015, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkey

This thread moved from Instructor Board to Gen Pop to all greater visibility (i.e. Mike).

Summary of thread as follows:
--------------
Esteemed Virginia Instructor Corps,

I'm writing to solicit your participation in a short fuzed one-day Milseed I'm putting together for my VBSS (Visit, Boarding, Search & Seizure) team just prior to their deployment.

The Goods:
- I have the shooters
- I have the rifles
- I have the ammo

The Challenges:
- Dates: After some discussion, my primary window is be 06-08OCT.  Backup days may be in the following week; however due to predeployment leave, attendance may be hampered.
- Range: Trying to lock in a date on a range somewhere on the peninsula, to shorten the drive for anybody interested.   Alternate site may be C2 (which is a journey for EVERYBODY).  Results of research due to me on Friday.
- Instructors: Driven by the two aforementioned items.

More to follow, but I wanted to at least go live with the instructor solicitation.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

--------------------

Update 1 - 11SEP15

My team reports to me that range time for 6-8OCT is pretty much a non-starter.  Most anywhere that can support is booked through November already.

That said, there is an opportunity on 12NOV (Thursday) at C2 for the 100 yd range.  Waiting for the quote to come back, but unless it's completely outrageous (that is, more outrageous than it normally costs us to use the range), I'm going to book it. 

Excellent opportunity to perhaps perform a KD element.

I've reached out to Mike Davis and he is willing to help.  He offered up a Mil-specific course of fire; I'd be interested to see what that is.

More to follow.

"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

FiremanBob

I'd be glad to help if I can make the schedule/travel work out.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Monkey

I thought I had transmitted this earlier today, but I think the powers that be pulled the internet plug on me when I wasn't looking.

Update 2 - 17SEP15:

Dates:
- Now unable to support 06-08OCT15 as I had hoped, due to range availability.  First range available day is 12NOV15.

Ranges:
- Based on 12NOV15, two range options available: C2 and Academi (yes, formerly Blackwater)
- Decision Drivers:
* Distance: Both are equidistant from Henrico, VA (give or take 5 miles)
* Cost: C2 is ~$1K, Academi is about ~$600.  For either range, I need to get approval from Higher Headquarters to pay for a civilian range - required when military ranges are not available.  This is pending.
* Accommodations for Instructors

As a steward of your taxpayer dollars, I am bound to lean towards Academi.  However, if there is something compelling that would prevent instructors from working at Academi, then I would need to know that as well.

Instructors:
- *** FiremanBob and The Wolfhound have expressed interest; just want to make sure that Academi could be supported by you two.
- I'll be there in a dual-hat capacity
- Mike Davis has mentioned a mil-specific COF.  I think that would be fantastic.  Right now, I'm budgeted for 300 rds/shooter, but I think I can bump it to 500.  Will research.
- Planning for ~13 shooters now, a few more may come to the line.  Anybody who can support is welcome.

Welcome to hear your thoughts and suggestions as would put flesh to the bones of this plan.

Thanks for your support,
Monkey

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

The Wolfhound

Either range should work for me.  I really want this to work.  Consider me in.  If Mike or Bob wanted to join me for the trip down, that is an option. The van holds plenty, be it people or gear.

Monkey

Update 3 - 21SEP15:

Higher Headquarters has approved use of the civilian range.  C2 quote had to be reworked due to an administrative error; will lock in the range once that quote is back.

Thanks for your continued support,
Monkey

― Hyman G. Rickover

AMHLDO

Monkey,

Pretty sure I could make this work.  Would be an honor to help out

DEH

I was on the Ft Stewart team back in 09 and am currently on active duty in the Army.

If you need any assisitance, please let me know.
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

Monkey

Hurricane Joaquin has created a lot of churn with the command's schedule.

Looking to see of 12NOV is still viable.

More to follow.

― Hyman G. Rickover

Monkey

Update 4 - 19OCT15

The dust as settled - 12NOV is still a go!

- Need to set up an EventBrite date (per Scuzzy's guidance) to make it a legit AS event.
- I may need to gather info for an access list - Academi has some stringent security.

Please let me know if there's anything I'm missing or something you need me to do on my end.

― Hyman G. Rickover

The Wolfhound

misawa

JL

I could make 12 Nov work.  Would be an honor to work with active duty folks again!

The Wolfhound

misawa

I'm out.  Work in NJ got pushed to in to this week.  Dangit.

Monkey

Update 5 - 05NOV15

I was onboard the ship today to tie up some loose ends - here's where we are:

- Date is still a go; no last-minute schedule trainwrecks have been foreseen.
- Expect 12-13 shooters, about 300 rounds/each
- All weapons will be M4.  Some have Eotech, some have Aimpoints.  Will most likely need time to zero/re-zero
- I told the chief about needing swivels and mats.  They'll bring what they can, mats-wise; the chief was supposed to talk to some of his old contacts at EOD re: sling swivels.  We should plan to bring as many slings and swivels that we can muster.
- Chief didn't know which range for certain, but he took a certain amount of glee in finding a reason to call his Division Officer while on leave.  >:D

The info on the linked page that Scuzzy set up looks good - will push that out tonight to the ship as well.  May not get everybody signed up until the last minute, as a good portion of the team is on leave until Monday, and the ship will be very occupied Monday and Tuesday.

Here's what I have for instructor corps so far:

The Wolfhound - Yes
jmdavis - Yes
Monkey - Yes
JL - Yes?
misawa - No
FiremanBob - ??

Thanks for your continued support!

ATB,
Monkey

― Hyman G. Rickover

The Wolfhound

The shoot is up.  I have signed on as Shoot Boss.  Remember it is in the North Carolina list so this is an official border raid!

jmdavis

I would think that the M4's would have the front swivel, they may lack the rear swivel but we could work around that. Also we need to remember that the A2 and to a lesser extent the M4 will show some barrel deflection if the sling is too tight. This will show up in prone more than anything else. We need to remember that if we see multiple groups or groups with alot of stringing.

Based on past history the eotechs and aimpoints will definitely require rezeroing. We should also have at least one tool kit to make sure that they are firmly mounted, extra batteries might be nice too. At one past event 75% of the Aimpoints were not firmly affixed, very few had anything close to a zero, and some lacked batteries. I'm not sure what batteries these specific models use though.

We need to make sure that all of the Instructors can get on to Academi. For matches they usually require notification and a background check for entrance. It may be since this has been scheduled by the ship that we just need to be on the list.

That's all that I can think of for now.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

JL

AMHLDO

I'm signed up.  I'm going to be really rusty but I'll help out anywhere I can.  Hopefully, nothing major pops up at work.

Do we know how the line is going to be setup?
Are we going to do most of the day at 25 yards and then cap it off with some actual distance?

I'm sure there amy already be answers to these questions.  I'm just trying to get up to speed.

Monkey

Kirt,

Please send me your home address so that I may add you to the access list at Academi for the event.

I'm confirming it's at one of the carbine ranges at Academi.  If I don't hear from the ship by noon today (they're u/w on a final shakedown).  Depending on which range will drive if we do actual KD (which would be cool).

― Hyman G. Rickover

AMHLDO

Monkey,

Sent you an email on gmail.

I attempted to break through with Academi last year with no luck.  This will be a great opportunity to talk to them about 1 KD event per year or something.  We need to have our best salesman hats on while there.

Monkey

In the spirit of transparency, I was able to break through because the unit paid for the range time.  Went through all the proper legal channels (i.e. verified for the time frame, no government ranges were allowed).

Would be nice if some management would come out and watch what we do...  ??? O0

― Hyman G. Rickover

Monkey

Update 6 - 10NOV15

All,

- I've confirmed the range at Academi as Range 35.  Short description from their website https://www.academi.com/pages/facilities/moyock-nc/ranges/ranges-17-38
- I told them to start show up at 0745, so walking that back, I think that the instructor corps showing up at starting setup at 0700 should work.
- I've submitted information for jmdavis, The Wolfhound, JL, and AMHLDO.  If anybody else plans to come, please let me know soonest.
- I told them to bring their lunches; I'll be bringing cold cuts for the instructor corps as well as hydrating beverages (water, powerade, etc).

I've attached a map of the complex as well for your situational awareness.

― Hyman G. Rickover