News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Looking for a Marlin LTR Edition in Virginia

Started by motor_city_axel, September 12, 2015, 10:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motor_city_axel

Does anyone know of any gunshops (or individuals) within a reasonable distance (2 hours max) from Petersburg, VA that has a Liberty Training Rifle Edition Marlin 795 for sale?   I can buy a 795 at Dick's Sporting Goods and add the sling, extra mag and sights but it'll cost me the same (or more) and I'd rather have it all together from the start.  Unfortunately, I can't just have any local Marlin dealer order it since it's discontinued (correct?). 

My goal is to have it by next weekend so I can do the Appleseed shoot in Fairfax on 21-22 September.  I've always wanted to do an Appleseed shoot but didn't have a weekend to dedicate to it while home, but I'm at Ft. Lee for training for the next month so it's a perfect opportunity.   

Thanks for your time!
Axel

Monkey

Axel,

Not to say that your odds aren't good, but...I haven't had a lot of luck finding them in any LGS.  YMMV, though.

Wasn't clear by your post whether or not you're a local and have access to a rifle.  If not, several of the instructors usually bring loaners, if you ask.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

motor_city_axel

Monkey,

I'm not a local and do not have access to a rifle.  I'll reach-out to the instructors to see if borrowing is a possibility.  I didn't want to be presumptive that borrowing would be an option, so thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks!
Axel

motor_city_axel

I also saw the 'Gallery of Guns' link on the Appleseed page for the LTR Marlin (http://appleseedinfo.org/ltr-marlin.html).  I clicked on the link, put in the zip and up came several local gun shops.  I'm assuming that Gallery of Guns is just shipping it to the LGS.  Does anybody have experience with this process?  i.e. How long it takes, pitfalls, etc. 

FiremanBob

Rather than rushing in to purchase a rifle that is an unknown to you, you may do best to borrow a rifle for the shoot, see what others are using, talk with them, and make a more informed purchase decision afterward.

I like the Marlin 795 and I like the TSM-200 sight system. I'm not a fan of the 1" wide, slick nylon sling on the LTR. I think a standard cotton canvas sling is more comfortable and holds better on the arm.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

The Wolfhound

Are you signed up for the Fairfax shoot already? it has been sold out since May.  There is no room for overflow at that particular shoot.  I have an LTR and did purchase it via Gallery of Guns.  This is a great service and I cannot speak highly enough of them.  When there was a problem with my order (all the fault of the local gun shop) they sent a second rifle to a different dealer, next day air without any additional payment from me. I am a believer.  I expect to have my Marlin LTR with me at the shoot.  No one has requested a loaner, yet, so it is available. If you are registered for the shoot, you are welcome to use it.

motor_city_axel

I misspoke, I was looking at the Montpelier event not the Fairfax one.  I just signed up this morning and it has instructions for borrowing a gun.  I'm ready to purchase but it's more practical to borrow because I'm staying in a hotel room for the next month while in military training and there are downsides to keeping it in my car or the hotel room for the duration. 

I can't express how impressed I am with the quick and helpful responses from the Appleseed community. I appreciate it!

Axel

The Wolfhound

I will be Shoot Boss for Montpelier.  I will have My LTR and it is available to you.

motor_city_axel

Wolfhound:  I'll take you up on the offer! 

I'll just ask for you at the check-in.  Obviously, I'll bring my own ammo and other equipment.

Thanks!
Axel

Monkey

Quote from: motor_city_axel on September 14, 2015, 01:45:05 PM
I'll just ask for you at the check-in.  Obviously, I'll bring my own ammo and other equipment.

Won't be too hard - look for the guy in the green hat!

Quote from: motor_city_axel on September 13, 2015, 01:29:06 PM
I'm ready to purchase but it's more practical to borrow

Food for thought here:

Not sure where you are with respect to what kind of rifle you want to buy, but I would suggest to you that at least take the opportunity to see if the 795 is a good fit for you.  I bought a rifle for the purposes of shooting at Appleseed; when I finally got there, I learned that the fit wasn't quite right for my build.

Of course, my $0.02, and YMMV.

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

motor_city_axel

Well, I figure that I'll know if it is a good fit after 2 days!

Monkey

True dat.

You may even learn sooner than that and discover another rifle (e.g. Ruger 10/22) fits your need.  Or your frame.  Or whatever.

That said, that loaner rifle of The Wolfhound's has made a Rifleman or two, if I recall correctly.

― Hyman G. Rickover

The Wolfhound

I think my Marlins have made about 9 riflemen.  The LTR is the younger of the 2 so I think it has only helped make 3.  It should be adequate.

misawa

Just to add to the chorus, my LTR (which will hopefully be with me at the Montpelier shoot) is a wonderful fit for me, but I've seen other people struggle with it.  Good decision to borrow first - by the time you're done that shoot, you will be far better equipped to buy/build your own LTR from whatever works for you.