News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fred's Big Red M14

Started by viperrt1, September 05, 2015, 06:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viperrt1

Well I have finally started my M14 build.

So of course I call up Fred and sends me over a very nice birch wood big red stock. I couldn't be happer. It looks dam near perfect condition. So any ways being old it got bit of roughness to the finsh think of 400 grip sand paper so I hit it with some 1200 grit then some tung oil silky smooth now. just got done applying the second coat. One more to go.
But here what it looks now.
Thank you Fred for picking out a great stock

Don't panic just aim.

Laredo

April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Monkey

Hideous.

So much so that you have to be absolutely ashamed to own it.

PM me for an address to send it to, in order to save you from the shame.  ;) ;D
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

viperrt1

Thank you.

The tung oil lot more forgiving to newbies then other oils, stains, or finishes I have used in the past.
Don't panic just aim.

Fred

Glad you liked the stock.

A factory-fresh "Big Red" is noticeably rougher in finish than almost any other GI stock - altho I've seen samples where someone in the mil polished them to a very smooth, high-shine sheen...

They're the toughest/strongest wood GI stock you can find.

Fred
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

TaosGlock

That is nice!  O0
Mine had op rod dings from other M14's and all sorts of scratches and assorted holes. But I like it that way!
It looked like it had been thru a war. Hey wait.... ;)
I finished mine nearly similar to yours, buffing with 0000 steel wool between the 6 coats of Tung.
There is a pic of it on our latest AAR for the NRA WC.
The thing is huge and stable. Still holds 2 MOA and is NOT bedded! That might be a later project.
The rifle is a Ted Brown build and originally came with a McMillian stock that weighed a ton!
I put on the Big Red Birch and it shot with nearly the same accuracy. It is now vastly handier in the field.

I am looking for another Big Red Birch in a show stopping Tiger Stripe. ;) The Ted Brown M1A really deserves that!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

viperrt1

Quote from: TaosGlock on September 07, 2015, 11:40:32 PM
That is nice!  O0
Mine had op rod dings from other M14's and all sorts of scratches and assorted holes. But I like it that way!
It looked like it had been thru a war. Hey wait.... ;)
I finished mine nearly similar to yours, buffing with 0000 steel wool between the 6 coats of Tung.
There is a pic of it on our latest AAR for the NRA WC.
The thing is huge and stable. Still holds 2 MOA and is NOT bedded! That might be a later project.
The rifle is a Ted Brown build and originally came with a McMillian stock that weighed a ton!
I put on the Big Red Birch and it shot with nearly the same accuracy. It is now vastly handier in the field.

I am looking for another Big Red Birch in a show stopping Tiger Stripe. ;) The Ted Brown M1A really deserves that!

Nice looking bother of arms in that picture there. :)) I love seeing US rifles
6 coates pewww I'll be honest I see no difference from second to third coat.

Good to hear there some of the best. This is a CMP build. So while it won't see a war it will see compatition and few appleseeds.

Here teaser of what to come.

Don't panic just aim.

viperrt1

Quote from: Fred on September 07, 2015, 02:47:52 PM

Glad you liked the stock.

A factory-fresh "Big Red" is noticeably rougher in finish than almost any other GI stock - altho I've seen samples where someone in the mil polished them to a very smooth, high-shine sheen...

They're the toughest/strongest wood GI stock you can find.

Fred

In all reality it was good to go out of the box. I personally have a habit of polishing things.
Don't panic just aim.

TaosGlock

My BR was actually "red" when I got it... but turned into a blonde. ;D
Mine also is based around an LRB as well!
Good luck on yours!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

viperrt1

Here she is after 3 coats of pure tung oil. The red does glisten nicely.
Don't panic just aim.

viperrt1

Hello everyone I got update here is the new addition.

Don't panic just aim.