News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waterman IL Aug 29 & 30 2015

Started by 2 clicks low, September 01, 2015, 11:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 clicks low

What a great weekend. 3 riflemen.

Waterman lived up to it's name, less than a foot of rain on Saturday but no one drowned.
21 students, Congrats to Joel (215) and Rachel (George63's daughter @ 226) on becoming riflemen. Joel also took the hat and jumped in teaching on Sunday.

Sunday we suffered from the lack of rain but 15 students came back anyway giving us another rifleman Brad (214) who also took a hat.

I had an all-star staff to help me out, George63, Dr. Rich P, Larado, Kiwimonstor, Shooter5559 and Flyr521 were signed up to instruct. Blue Hat Laurie showed up Saturday to help. Also speaking of showed up, Saturday Morning as I'm setting up the line I look up and see Fred. Yes that Fred, who showed up with Janir. Talk about a quality staff.

Pictures below
2 clicks low

"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Laredo

What a great weekend.  A great group of instructors showed up to help spread the message that the ship is sinking and there is something we can do about it. 

There was a fine group of students, including some youngsters, that persisted throughout the weekend.  A great deal of progress was made by all.  A few rifleman were born and we also had some volunteers step up to help out the Project.  To those that didn't score rifleman yet;  Don't give up.  A rifleman persists.  It took me 4 AS's before I landed that coveted badge.

I enjoyed spending time with Fred and getting to hear some history and instruction from the same person that dreamt this whole Project up...

pictures to follow...

April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

2 clicks low

More pics

2 clicks low

And the last pics"

alphakoncepts

Appleseed Event? That sounds like it has something to do with gardening.  Well, you'd be wrong in thinking so.  Actually an Appleseed event has very little to do with gardening (more on that later), but has a lot to do with rifle shooting. It also has to do with an open discussion of our freedoms, and how we as Americans are so fortunate to have attained the freedoms we enjoy, but seem to be losing rapidly.

Being the "gun nut" that I am, I frequent gun stores when ever the time allows. In doing so, I stumbled across a flyer for Appleseed. I thought to myself, "what the heck?" and as I read the flyer saw it was a shooting event and thought it would be very interesting.  Nothing ever came of it. 

A few years later, while watching one of my favorite shows on the television, I saw Michael Bane reviewing this event.  If I recall he gave it a big thumbs up and stated he would be doing it again.  I recalled the past flyer and thought to myself, "You know, I really have to do that some day..."  Again, nothing ever came of it. 

Fast forward to mid-August 2015 where an internet acquaintance on an Illinois gun rights message board posted about an upcoming event to an Appleseed at the Aurora Sportsman's Club in Waterman Illinois. I clicked the link, said to myself "I really have to do this." And I finally did and I am happy that I did.

While I was not able to make the full weekend, sadly, I was able to make the Saturday portion, but was unable to be in attendance on Sunday.  Therefore my observations were based on that day, but truth be told even one day was well worth the investment of time and the very reasonable investment of money!

I have been rifle shooting since I was about 9 years old.  While I actually shot very little until I got into my 20's, I have always loved it. Though I train with mostly pistol, in fact instruct on pistol usage and concealed carry, I still much prefer rifle shooting.  However before Appleseed I never shot with a sling, almost always with a bipod. If not with the bipod, often my rifle shooting would be on the move at short distances where minute of man is accurate enough.  So sling shooting was new for me. 

I will also admit that I heard beforehand that history would be discussed, and I will admit I am somewhat of a history dork. I enjoy history of all kinds. I also heard Appleseed instructors would discuss history as it relates to the American Revolution. Again I will also admit that I am somewhat passionate about this because I have gotten the feeling since about 911 that we have lost many freedoms in our country and I see one of our most cherished freedoms, the right to bear arms, attacked daily.  While American is a great place to live, possibly the best, I no longer see myself buying into the "land of the free" mentality. So for me, what could be better? We get to shoot guns and shoot the breeze discussing history and freedom.

About that day, August 29th, I learned the Appleseed instructors are dedicated... and Appleseed shooters are dedicated as well! We had a torrential down pour the entire morning and the instructors did their thing while we shooters did our thing, laying prone in inches deep of water in 65 degree weather.  I also learned that Appleseed instructors are passionate.  While they were discussing the revolutionary war and people like Paul Revere and the lesser known Daniel Morgan. You could tell, the instructors just weren't reciting some script but were speaking from a place in their heart.  All the instructors and RSO's were great, but Fred was perhaps the best because his Carolina accent was soothing to my ears.

I learned that an Appleseed event isn't just for grown men. There were lady shooters, and nearly 25% of the shooters were children.  It truly was a family event.

When it came down to it, we shot a lot of rounds that Saturday, approximately 200 by my rough count.  We shot in many positions at simulated distances by using targets of varying sizes.  We shot a lot while prone, which I have always loved. We shot offhand (standing) which nobody really loves but is most likely going to be the shot you get. We also shot seated.

While shooting, the instructors would watch and offer advice, and I found the student:instructor ratio to be excellent! After shooting, when it was time to examine targets, again the instructors would offer advice, but also encouragement and congratulations. 

I would recommend this event, and I don't call it a course because it is so much more than the average shooting course, to anyone who enjoys rifle shooting, to any hunter, to any person who owns a firearm, and to any person in fear for our freedoms in this country. Infact, I am making plans to attend a full weekend Appleseed event next month, so that's saying a lot!

What I learned? Because I had always shot rifle with a bipod, the technique I was using did not lend its' self to maximum accuracy with a sling. The instructors fixed that, and you'll hear a lot of joking about "If it is uncomfortable, you're doing it right!" The prone position, with elbow beneath the rifle, does take some getting used to but it's worth the discomfort. 

I also learned I need to work better on my seated shots, which I discovered to be my Achilles heel.  If my seated shooting was better there is no doubt I would have earned my rifleman's patch.

Rifleman's patch you say? I had no idea about any awards being given out when I signed up, however at the end of day one (and I presume again on day two) you are given the chance to qualify to earn your patch.  Under stress induced by timer, you shoot a series of shots standing, seated and prone. If your total points add up, you are awarded a patch... Two things happened when I found this out. 1) I suddenly wanted the patch desperately. And 2) I test horribly and my shooting which I though was pretty good the entire day, turned to manure.   

I learned about my rifle, and that I should test the ammo I intend to shoot before I shoot it. I built my AR15 from a pile of parts, put a lot of rounds through it, and had tuned it to work with M855 green tip penetrator 5.56 NATO ammunition. When I attended the event I brought with a case of PMC bronze 223 cheapo ammo. Pressures are not the same, and consequently my bolt often would not lock back on last round.  This idea of testing your gear is something I already knew but took for granted, and suffered for it.  My "neighbor" on the shooting mat next to me had a horrible time getting his rifle sighted in. I am glad mine was already sighted into 25 yards since that was the distance at which we were shooting. 

If you are thinking of attending an Appleseed event, I would recommend you read the "How to prepare" page found at www.appleseedinfo.org.  I would personally recommend ear plugs over muffs as I personally find it easier to shoot rifle with plugs vs muffs.  I would also recommend, don't forget the elbow pads.  I thought I wouldn't need elbow pads but after 6 hours of prone on a wet shooting mat, you do need them! 

Now that the day revealed some of my own personal weaknesses, we are not all perfect, I am working on those at home. A lot of what I am doing doesn't require firing a single round of ammo. After work, I lay prone with my rifle (no ammunition anywhere in the room!) and I focus on a target, control my breathing, stretch my support arm, and dry fire. I do this to ensure my elbow is limber and my breathing controlled next Appleseed event.

I am also doing the same offhand.  I am doing this to build additional strength in my support deltoid and shoulders . Your rifle doesn't seem heavy until you have been shooting it for 6 or 7 hours.  I can't think of a better way to build the necessary arm strength than by actually simulating the activity.

The most important thing I am doing to prepare is working to more quickly find my Natural Point of Aim while seated.  When you have all the time in the world, it's easy to do. When the timer is on, I was muscling my shots and my score was proof.  This is definitely one thing I need to continue working on, and will continue to do so. 

So then, just what does the Appleseed have to do with gardening? I have no idea of the origin of the name "Appleseed", but I suspect it may have something to do with planting the seed of thought in your mind. Free thought to open your eyes and pay attention to what is going on around us. Free thought to maybe worry a little bit at the direction we are headed as a nation.  A seed of thought to work towards once again becoming a nation of riflemen, like our forefathers were.

Have fun, learn some history, and I'll see you at the next Appleseed event!

Laredo

Great write up, alpha...

Glad you liked it.  After my first event...I was so hooked...  It tickled darn near every fancy I have in life...

:)
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

EBR

Well said, Alpha. If you don't mind, I'd like to share your write-up with a co-worker whose interest I have piqued about Appleseed.

DrRichP

Wait a second, I wasn't even mentioned in Alpha's write up.  !@#)
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

alphakoncepts

EBR please do, that was the purpose of the write up.

That's because you made me do push ups, Doctor Rich!

DrRichP

DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy