News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Scout has passed away

Started by scuzzy, July 13, 2015, 05:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Last night Scout had an automobile accident. He is no longer with us on this earthly plane.

I'll post details as I get them.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Lonestar6

This is very sad news indeed.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

Fred

Sorry to hear this. :'(

Very sorry... :'( :'(
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

BeSwift

That's horrible. Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones..
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

DrRichP

Heartbroken.  :'(

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but by all accounts he was a passionate and well thought of guy. So sorry to read of his passing. My thoughts and prayers will beg peace and comfort for his family and loved ones.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

zonkertx

Sad news indeed.  I was just at Davilla for a KD day with Dragit the Friday before last.

Scout had a heart of gold, and helped/pushed many to do what they love to do, but better.  I'll never forget the stories around the fire, nor my 5 hour Instructor PC with him on the way back from the Pharr shoot.  Perhaps the most thorough one in Appleseed history!  Because Scout did what he did, I had the good fortune to take many wood-fired showers next to the range, have both good and bad days out on the KD side, and met some of the best people on the planet over the years.

RIP, brother.
One less run-n-gunner in this world.  :(

FreedomV

My prayers for His family.
I admired his time, talent and heart that he put into Appleseed Radio for years.
Illegitimi non carborundum

dond

So sorry to hear this.  :( :'(   It's especially tragic since he was one of the pioneering ASers.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

JoeZ

Eternal rest grant unto him, oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

RifleWoman

Since I've known Scout he had suffered blood clots in his legs that nearly killed him trying to get home from AS training in NC.  He was in the hospital for over a week.  He was crushed by cattle that nearly killed him and bitten by a rattle snake.  He was the toughest guy I've ever known and the kindest.  My husband always said if SHTF he wants Scout by his side.

I guess he finally used up his nine lives.  He will be sorely missed but we should never forget the example he has set for all of us.  I any of us could be half the person that Scout was we'd be doing pretty darn good.

RW

If anybody has his mailing address, please PM it to me.  I seem to have lost it.
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

ThePoet

I am sorry to hear this.  My condolences to Scouts family and all who knew him well.

bob 210

My heart is broken. Michael was a very good man and a very good friend. He walked with God while here on Earth and he will walk with God eternally. I will miss you my friend, but I will never forget you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

El Tejano

This is truly sad news, and a great loss, for his family,friends, AS and the Texas gun culture.  :'(

At my first AS, Scout was the Shoot Boss, that's how we met. I did not earn my patch at this shoot. But he raffled 2 free shoot passes at the end of the shoot. I
     was lucky, I won a free pass and used it at my next AS, and earned my patch, but Scout was not the Shoot Boss, Chuck was. We did not met aging until I
     went too one of His run-n-guns.

I am who I am, and I am what I am, because of Scout. His passion changed the lives of everyone He met, and those that would listen to Him. 

Anyone who takes a Hat is my brother/sister.

Until we met again Brother.

My prayers go to His family and friends. 

AFTERMATH

This was posted on the forum some time ago by Big Pappa - it seems rather appropriate at this time.

Ode to a Rifleman

A Rifleman is not born but is cast in the Rifleman's mold by other Riflemen.  These are mentors of great character, who encourage him to accept the honor, sacrifice and duty to defend those things most dear to patriots. A Rifleman learns that not all battles require a rifle, but he is to be ready on a moments notice should one be required.

A Rifleman comprehends that the war for liberty is never won, but that battles must be fought and won every day. He obtains the foresight to know that the battle today is of utmost importance and tomorrow there will be another battle of equal importance. He gains awareness that the interest of his country, liberty and freedom should be foremost in his life.

A Rifleman becomes as knowledgeable of his rifle and gear as he is of his enemy. He grows proficient with the tools provided and is constantly striving to improve. He grasps the knowledge that the path to true perfection has no end, but always, is the most honorable journey.

A Rifleman sees that he is surrounded by battlefields of all descriptions and magnitudes. He garners the ability to choose his battles and his battlefields. He becomes sure of his skills but realizes that pride has no place on any battlefield. A Rifleman learns his job is never finished, that persistence can win any battle, and patience can prevent many ill planned battles.

A Rifleman grows to be a warrior in all walks of life. He prays for peace, is pensive of the future and knows the enemy will never relent in it's pursuit of destroying liberty and freedom. He is thankful for being deemed worthy of the title and honor.

A Rifleman's greatest honor comes with the passing of skills, heritage and knowledge of obligations to those that will and must continue the war. He teaches them that a Rifleman's skills are never accomplished, but continuously pursued. When trained, his apprentices shoulder their arms and move on to continue fighting the war and teaching others.

A Rifleman comes to know deep within his heart that when his replacements are trained, his ammo is low, his barrel is hot, the sun is on the Western horizon and the enemy is scattered for the day, he, an old Rifleman, may go home in peace.

And when, as a Rifleman, he leaves the final battlefield the echoes of his life's
accomplishments can be heard fading across the hillsides. Then, his fellow Riflemen can gather around his grave and know, without question, that this warrior was truly a "Man among men", a "Man who knew what he was about."

A Rifleman!

< Steve 'Big Papa'  Anderson >

Go with God and rest in peace, my friend. 

Alex
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

VietVet

So very sorry to hear this.
Prayers inbound.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Josey Wales

..I knew Scout. Mike was a good man, a God-fearing man, a patriot, a family man and a Rifleman. Mike's wife had family in upstate New York and I spent a few Appleseeds with him.  I had his phone number in my phone and we would speak from time to time. Mike always got a kick out of me and I enjoyed that, so I always called him back for more.  It amazes me how close we were in mind, body and spirit yet I'm a city slicker from New York and he a Texas Rancher.  We had a lot in common.  ..Scout Michael was one of the original Appleseeders and he put a ton of work into the program. Mike was a great man. His spirit will live on in the hearts and minds of God-fearing American Patriots for all time.  Scout my brother, I will see you again someday. May God watch over your family, Amen..

..JW..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

misawa

Is this the same Scout that did the Rifleman podcasts?  Sad either way.

Superheat

Never met the man.  I can tell you that he had an impact on my development by putting out his podcast.  I gained confidence by listening to him.  My elevator speech was heavily influenced by listening.  For about 2 years I didn't miss a podcast.

Scout,
Thank you for lifting me up by being the man you were.  My life is better because of your efforts. 
Rest in Peace and know we will keep bailing.

K98Al

Yes, the same.

He was the nicest guy you could hope to meet. A gracious host, and a loyal friend. This is a terrible loss.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

Nickle

A nicer person than Mike I've yet to meet.

He was like a brother to me.

He would come up to his in-laws in upstate NY from time to time, and I've gone out and helped him there, and he came over and experienced an AS at Jericho, VT.

Cheryl and I express our condolences, any of you that bump into his family, please forward them.

We are diminished some by his loss.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Two Wolves

Every now and then someone comes into our lives that makes a profound difference on who we are and what we are to become. Michael Adam "A.K.A. SCOUT" was that "someone" for many, many people. He will always be my shoot boss and I am forever grateful for the friendship, the guidance and the memories. ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

LawDog

Does anyone have his wife's name and an address?  I would like to have Masses said for the repose of his soul, and to send the Mass cards to her.  I don't have words adequate for this occasion, but God might. 

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

My life was never the same because of Michael Adam.

My life will never be the same without him.

I was fortunate to be associated with him and to call him friend.

I took these photos the last time I saw him - April 12, 2015.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

spitstickler

He leaves behind his wife, Rebecca and 5 daughters. I know he has touched thousands of lives in Texas and across the country through Appleseed, his radio show and his endeavors beyond. He met everyone with a smile and a handshake and would give anyone the shirt off his back without blinking an eye. Those than knew him are blessed indeed.

Michael Adam Family
11968 South FM 1915
Buckholts, TX 76518

From 2010 or so... Scout on the Rifleman's Bubble: https://youtu.be/lCfjCdxCnJQ
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

PHenry

I never had the honor of meeting or working with Scout, but I came up under his leadership as a Master Instructor. I did get to speak to him on the phone a time or two on his Appleseeds Radio show. He represents the very beginning of Appleseed to me. I am in shock at his sudden loss.

Go with God sir. I pray the Lord makes a fine place for you at His table. Amen.

Those that are close - is there anything his family needs? We need to make sure they know they have a rather large family at their side.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Engineer shooting

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

sgtrock

Such a Great Loss for all who knew him.
He came to one of my shoots 2010 at Burlington Flats, NY and left an impression that is still remembered to this day from the people that were there.

Another void in this world that cannot be filled easily.

Rest in peace Mike.

TOMINCT

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

I met Scout and my first 'seed in Jericho Vt, about 7 years ago. He helped me then and did so afterwards with his show and writings. He will be sadly missed.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

malabar

Quote from: JoeZ on July 13, 2015, 08:55:44 PM
Eternal rest grant unto him, oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

amen

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

TaosGlock

Such a sad time. Michael Adam had a huge impact on our life.
Here a few pics I found with Scout in them.

Below Scout came all the way to the border town of El Paso with his crew of Johnny Appleseed, Sir Not Appearing in This Film and Vortrekker.
The president of the TSRA was there. Scout gave us our orange hats and it was off we went.

Then a month later, Scout helped us set up the first IBC in NM to forge a strong instructor crew with SamD and ashrn03
Below Scout shows us a neat trick to load 2 rounds in our M1 Garands:

Here Scout and BlueFeather discuss the lever action and the AQT.
Scout was very committed to his new Rifleman Radio Show.
The computers shown in the pic was to help get logged in to do a live show from Las Cruces.

A huge void is in our hearts and Lady Liberty mourns.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose