News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pre-Appleseed

Started by ashlock, November 23, 2008, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashlock

OK signed up for the appleseed this coming weekend, and have not yet sighted in my rifle  :-\ Sooo, gonna trek the 30 miles to Ben Avery the Friday after Thanksgiving (dog-eared "Fred's Guide" in my hand) to make sure I got all my ducks in a row.

Anyone else wanna have a "pre-appleseed"? Shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers.

Haven't shot a rifle in almost 20 years, so don't expect too much  ;D

MOGromit

Hi Ashlock,

No worries on the delay in shooting, I'm sure we'll have some folks on the line who haven't shot one before (since some of them I've convinced to come out).

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday morning.

AZG

Fred

ashlock, I'm the last person in the world to rain on anyone's personal parade, but "it's not about you" is a mantra around here; "it's about saving your country" is the rest of it.

That said, see if you can at Ben Avery do a "one-shot zero" - just for fun. Then do a series of "one-shot zeros" - this is from the bench, right? (Bet that's what you're planning, right? That's OK, we'll let you start out - this once! - from the bench, so long as you are learning to fire by the numbers, and then doing IMC...both good lessons to be working on - and as long as you follow up with some prone shooting.)

Before going to the range, it'll help you (a lot!) if you'll get on the floor every evening in prone, and dry-fire 10 careful shots, each "by the numbers!"

Then if anyone shows up to shoot wid ya, you'll be able to not only shoot good yourself, but show them a few tips...Get an early start, as it were. ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

wcmartin1

Here's a dry-fire target to go along with what Fred said, partner.

Also, check out this useful link http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Scout

Quote from: ashlock on November 23, 2008, 04:06:00 PM

Anyone else wanna have a "pre-appleseed"? Shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers.

Haven't shot a rifle in almost 20 years, so don't expect too much  ;D

Don't worry, just show up and we will get you exactly where you need to be. ;)

But, getting some people to go with you, to the "sight-in" and then to the Appleseed is the best thing you can do. get someone who lives near you, a neighbor, your relatives, anyone in your area who you can call on the phone or yell out your window when you need a hand.

Appleseed at it's core is about having everyone you know and everyone living around you on the same page with working toward paying attention to saving the country. Having a "support group" you can work with on your "Six Step" program. A way to save money, you can all pile in the same car to go to an APpleseed and divide the fuel three ways. You can order ammunition together and divide the shipping three ways etc. etc.

If you bring a friend, you can work ball and dummy with them, you can share lunch together at the event while the instructors are giving "The Story". The "Lone Rifleman" as a concept, only works in pulp fiction stories. The myth of the Colonists fighting as solitary individuals is just that, a myth. You are going to need someone to go with you to hand out fliers, to talk to gunstores and ranges and to plan your own local soft war against your elected officals if they become determined not to listen to their constituients anymore.

So work on getting someone to go with you to help get your own local Appleseed network up and running.  ;) ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

ashlock

@AzGromit : Thanks, I've given the flyer to a few people but the weekend after Thanksgiving is a hard sell. Don't mean I won't keep tryin.

@Fred : Actually the plan was to fire from prone, but, I've been told that the Ben Avery range for firing from prone has to be reserved and usually is. So. I'll "work with the tools I have" and do my zero from the bench  ;) If I can, I'll try to zero from prone.

@wcmartin : Thanks, I ordered Fred's guide along with targets, but I believe this is the first time I've seem that particular target.

@Scout : I don't wanna be Rambo  8). Cold calling (as they say in sales) has never been a strong suit of mine, but I have handed the flyers to the few people I know in my neighborhood but haven't talked to to them since. Feel kinda silly saying  "come to this thing with me" when they are nodding acquaintances and I only have, I'm sure, an imperfect understanding about what we'll do etc.

PJEVANS

Quote from: Fred on November 27, 2008, 06:46:53 AM

That said, see if you can at Ben Avery do a "one-shot zero" - just for fun. Then do a series of "one-shot zeros" - this is from the bench, right?

OOOOO MY GOODNESS!!!!!  I have been off the Trail for so long I am hallucinating!  I am starting out the door right now en route to Scout's for
some SERIOUS re-hab.  I thought I read that Fred said someone could do some type--any type--of zeroing from the "bench".  I'm guessing its just
a one time thing for familiarization and practicing the Six Steps, but then I am hallucinating (isn't spell check a wonderful thing?) so its off to re-hab I go!

Seriously guys, work within the confines of whatever Range Rules there are, then show up at meetings with several other members to talk of changing the Rules and pass out some RedCoats. 

I'm bookmarking this page just in case Fred, devious as he is, ever catches me on a bench.  Not likely for me to be there, but you never know......
Phil Evans
'Loud noises do not usually stop a gun fight,
     Well placed hits do'