News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Women of Appleseed, Stories from Appleseed Weekends

Started by funfaler, November 22, 2008, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funfaler

Women are special in the Appleseed Program.  Women who shoot are treasured.  Here in this section are strories from the Women of Appleseed.  Both those who shoot and those who support the Program in other ways.

Let us know your stories, you Treasures of ours.  Let us know your experiences, how you first came to Appleseed, what you learned, and by all means, help us to put together a better program to give you help getting your other women friends to come with you next time.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

MemaJean

Hi!
  My story is pretty lame, coming after the above!  However; I recently attended an Appleseed BootCamp with my son and daughter at Osage Beach and I'm hooked.  My son told me and my daughter about the camp; he had already planned to attend and invited us to go along.  My son's and daughter know guns and I was a good shot when I was younger and we went target shooting on the desert but that was twenty years ago!  I'm 73 and thought the men there might not want to be bothered with an "older woman" but... I couldn't have been more wrong.  They were great!  Everyone made sure I had what I needed, was comfortable, not getting tired (!!!), etc.  On a personal level, I think Appleseed is one of the finest things going on in our country and I feel privileged to be a part of it!  My son and daughter both are becoming active in the organization and I'm getting in there too! 
  I'll have to let Susan speak for herself but she's ordering a new rifle. 8)
  Thanks to AS I think there is hope for the good old USA!  And, by the way, we all got our Rifleman Patch too.  Have to brag just a little. ;D  MemaJean

SavageShootr

The following is from a post on the AAR from a lady who recently attended an AS in Piru, CA:

"I had wanted to acquire my long-gun stance and skills for years (though my friend Rick taught me to shoot a rifle, I usually found it a rather fatiguing and disappointing undertaking) and I admit to being skeptical when Rick told me he'd heard of something called the Appleseed Project, where someone could teach me exactly what I wished to learn.

What I experienced at Appleseed was an order of magnitude better than the best-case scenario of my imagination. Yes, it was that good. At the start of the first day, everyone shot "redcoat" targets using their own techniques (the instructors called it "shoot what you brung") to establish their baseline. Then we received top-flight instruction in how to shoot "by the numbers" (the mental ticklist of how to position, sight, and fire each shot). We acquired the fundamentals of safe, accurate marksmanship with ordinary rifles. No "race guns", expensive, specialized equipment, or experience necessary (bring whatever you have--but you don't need to have more than the basics). Regular rifles, inexpensive GI slings, and the simple, effective techniques that our forebears used to give birth to this nation, had us putting our shots where we wanted them when, at the end of the day, we again shot the "redcoats" to gauge our progress. The Appleseed system of clear, simple instruction and supportive coaching created a comfortable, no-fail environment for men, women, and children alike. Oh, and the event was ripping fun, too!

If that had been all, I would have been more than satisfied. But Appleseed is a brilliant case of "don't answer yet--just look what else you get!" At luncheon, we received instruction in the revolutionary history of our country. We heard about the daring youths, valiant women, and dangerous old men, who made possible the freedoms we enjoy today. Listening to our instructors, I heard the echo--perhaps for the first time--of the "shot heard 'round the world". The sacrifices and determination that purchased our liberty (long taken for granted and rapidly eroding) became real for me and, I believe, for my fellow students. I am an American revitalized and shall do my best to share with others what was shared with me."

As one of the women in the fast growing RWVA Female Instructor Corps, it is gratifying to see these types of comments posted on the forum. It makes me feel good to know that we are establishing a base for the future of the program.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Old Glory!

I went reluctantly to my first Appleseed with my husband at the encouragement of my mother-in-law, who said "go, be with your husband".  She has been happily married for over 65 years and is my role model for a good marriage.  So when she talks, I listen. 

Fantastic experience!  Met great people.  All respectful and polite.  Learned ALOT about how to shoot a rifle, and the happy surprise were the American heritage talks. 

I used to have a lot of fear about handling a rifle.  Didn't know how to hold it, handle it, operate and shoot it.  Thought guns were just plain unsafe because I didn't know anything about them.  There is confidence and security in good training and knowing how to handle a rifle properly and safely.   

Since that first shoot, I have been to four more and have met some remarkable women.   I am so honored to have met you all and hope to make a lot more new friends on the Appleseed trail. 

MemaJean, fantastic story!  Thank you for sharing that.  Let's hear some more from everyone else. 

Old Glory

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Old Glory!

Dug'in

The Family That Shoots
As the only girl in the family I was never really "taught" to shoot. I got handed a rifle and told to point and pull the trigger. Even after marrying a true hunter and becomming a hunter myself, my skills lacked. I'm sure that my husband never thought much about it because he grew up with a rifle in his hand. I'm just learning things he takes for granted.
I had no idea I was going to an intructor trainning boot camp. My brother said "come on, your a girl they want women so much you get to go free it will be fun". So with mom and myself in tow he got us there.
Now being a rather standoffish person I was not prepared for how upclose and personal shooting instruction is. :-\ There were times when I thought if this guy gets any closer to my eyeball I'm going to punch his face. But he was so nice and patient and they all talked about perserverence, so I did my best to be a good girl and do as told. Much to my amazement it all fell into place and then got even better. My instructor (I shall call him Zen Bubble Master) let me use his personal weapon "SWEET" :o and now I must have one.
These people help me discover a talent for something I didn't even know I have, how cool is that? In fact I think they enjoyed it as much as my family and I. I'm debating on what I can do that will be most useful to AS, as I have to do my part to help. I'm not sure IIT is for me as I don't want some one eles thinking they'd like to punch me in the face. ;D

Yes Mema Jean is my mom, and thanks Bob for talking me into going.

Best of all this deer season I got to see the diffrence. First of all I went home and had hubby cut three inches off my deer rifle. As The Guy said, "what ever it takes, make your weapon work for you!" How did I know everything I'd been trying to shoot was too long for me? Anyway, usually at the sight of a deer my heart pounds out of control, my breathing becomes panting and my hands shake from excitement. Not this year! I was able to keep my cool by hearing Zen Bubble Master's words in my head. With my rifle in sling nice and tight I was able to stand there steady, watching and ready. Unfortunately the deer was not a shooter. I still came out estatic because I didn't spook it even though it came within 10 yards of me looking right at me to see if I was a threat..aha!!! Fooled you.

I finally get it....the beauty of it..."it's not the thing you shoot, but the shot itself." ;)
                                    Susan

Kendra

My story isn't near as interesting, but here goes....

My boyfriend is the one who actually brought Appleseed to my attention. He is a great rifleman and I am very lucky to have instruction from him... on a daily basis! Some of you may know him as "Voortrekker" but here at home he responds to "bambino"  ;D.

Vooretrekker invited me to go to an Appleseed shoot with him a few years ago. It was held in Mengis, Texas. I didn't expect there to be a spa for the ladies or anything like that, but it was a little rougher than I had imagined it would be. My poor body was so sore after that weekend shoot. I couldn't believe he had done it for a week straight!

I didn't make rifleman at the Mengis shoot... matter of fact, you would've thought I had my back facing the target and was just shooting over my shoulder! The proof was on the target, and it was NOT pretty.

I kept practicing and I couldn't forget about practicing because voortrekker holds his own dry fire practice at home EVERYDAY  :D

I went to another Appleseed this year in Davilla, and I made rifleman this time. It was the greatest feeling!

Everyone at Appleseed is so approachable and willing to give you advice on what might make your shooting better. That speaks volumes!! So many times in life people feel like they are in competition with each other, and Appleseed is not like that. Everyone wants to help each other.

My experience at Appleseed has been wonderful and I plan on attending many more.

MamaBear

At the behest of my beloved husband, we attended our very first Appleseed Project.  I wasn't going in with any grand expectations.  I figured I would go, shoot, learn some history, shoot some more and go home.  Boy, was I ever wrong.  I got WAY more than I ever anticipated from an event such as this.

Going in, I felt like I would be the only woman there (wrong), but I wasn't.  I was very pleasantly surprised that I was one of several there that day.  Also, I felt like I would be one of the only people there who was a novice when it came to shooting a rifle, (again, wrong!), then I went so far as to think that the day might be a tad, shall we say, boring?  Let's just say that I had a record number of "wrongs" that weekend!

I had one of the best times of my life at the Appleseed.  I met some great Americans that weekend.  I met people who, rather than spending time at home with their families, chose to come out and help teach a girl like me how to shoot, and how to shoot well.  I cannot say enough great things about the instructors of that weekend.  I was personally taught by Big Papa, who was gracious enough to loan me his trusty cotton sling (that didn't slip!)  He also spent countless hours on the ground with me teaching me how not to "drag wood", and to stop "bouncing" my trigger finger...he was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see him next Appleseed.  I was also fortunate enough to lay beside "The Guy" (The man, the myth, the legend), his instruction is amazing and just knowing he was next to me automatically made me shoot better.  He also taught me the ever-so-important trigger reset!  By the end of that lesson, my shooting had improved SO much, that I finally got to show my "O" face!! :o  I'm thinking that should be my new nickname for the next Appleseed..."O"face Anderson"

Bottom line, I recommend the Appleseed to novice shooters, expert riflemen, and people young and old.  Not only do you learn how to shoot (and be accurate), but you get lessons in the history of our America, our country...all that she has lost and sacrificed only to be regained by our brave men and women who fight everyday for the freedoms that many of us take for granted.  I left the Appleseed with a renewed respect and love for my country.  I also left feeling a new closeness to my husband (who, BTW, made RIFLEMAN!!) We did this together...and it was fun!  You will definitely see us at the next Appleseed...but this time, I'M leaving with my patch, too! ;)

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies."-Annie Oakley

'"A girl with a husband can be limited in what she can do. A girl with a rifle ain't got that problem." Calamity Jane

Big Mama

Where do I begin?  My husband, Big Papa, found the Appleseed Project in Shotgun News and began talking about it, alot; Matter of fact it got to be an every day event. ::)  We went to our first Appleseed Shoot in Evansville, IN in 2007 and to be honest, I was petrified.  I have been around guns and hunting all of my life, but I had never had instruction
from anyone on how to shoot, except friendly input from Papa, must less instruction from strangers who you know are absolute experts.  I had no idea as to what to expect from the instructors. Let me assure you, ladies, they want us there. I was apprehensive, to say the least, and I was afraid that I would be the only lady at the event.  I was pleasantly surprised that there was one other lady at the first shoot I attended.  The instructors were so very helpful and patient.  Fred was present as well as The Guy.  What a vast knowledge they possess of marksmanship and history.  I understand exactly what Kori Anderson posted about the "O" experience.  The Guy helped with my trigger reset, which took about half of the first day and my response was the same "OOOOOO!" Fred helped me greatly with my prone positioning after a few "gentle nudges"  :) to the foot, I finally got it!  I did not make rifleman that weekend, but what I learned helped me greatly in preparation for the shoot we attended in Puryear, TN.  I was much further along in my training and came away from that event scoring in the 190's.  The excitement of the instructors when progress was made was quite encouraging and my intentions are to walk away with my patch at the next shoot.  An Appleseed Project is a
lifechanging experience.  We invited all of our children and their spouses to an Appleseed Shoot and one of our daughter-in-laws who had very little experience with a rifle at all, made Rifleman.  She had no bad habits to break and she is proof that the instruction given really works.  What's the saying, "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks." well I am still working on those bad habits.  Dond was at the first shoot as well as his wonderful wife and later at Puryear, his instruction in inches, minutes and clicks began to fall into place for me.  Dragonwood, who was shoot boss at the Puryear Shoot was a true inspiration.  All of those associated with Appleseed are of outstanding  character and bonds of friendship are formed that will continue for a lifetime.  Appleseed has become a part of our family and the positive effects from it are easy to see.   
Big Mama

The Guy

Thats IT!!

I remeber now!!

He (Big Pappa!!) cut his hair, and YOU were missing!!  THE CHEERLEADER!!  The one jumping up and down and everything!!!

Sheesh, I hope that's right anyway, but I'm most certain.

I knew I remembered him from that shoot, and you, but together!  Dang it.  Anyway, I hope you make it with him to help out in Osage again next year, along with the Clan (he showed me all the pics!)to get our RBC numbers into the high 30s.

You too Kori, but this time you and Eric have to make the whole week.  Keep growing like this and Longshot will have to put up cabins or something.....LOL!!

....er, you know........I wonder.....

;)

Anyway, Dugin, Mama, Mema, KoriA, and O.G., you gals are but a small group of ladies that have inspired me to continue to hold out hope that when my lil girls get older, I can get them to a 'Seed someday.  I might not teach them a dang thing.  Infact, I might just look for a RBC where maybe one of you, or DW or SavageS or DD or anyother of you fine examples, will be, and let you take over the job.

Wouldn't that be serindipity (friggin spelling!  Is that right?) to have one of you I have taught (or helped anyway!) teach two of my own?  To make Riflemen out of my girls?  Hand them the patches?  Let me for once be but a spectator and just enjoy the moment?

As fun said,
QuoteWomen who shoot are treasured
.  Even more precious are those who will step up and be there teach mine to shoot.

When the time comes, I will trust you can do it as well as any man, and better than most.  Certainly any woman who has been to Appleseed and hit Rifleman knows more about it than 99.9999% of the men who haven't.  And Rifleman, contrary to the actual "gender" infered by the title, knows no diference between boxers or briefs or panties or bloomers or pinks and blues.

Since I really just realised that I have potentially trained someone or worked with someone who I trust to train my girls, boy, is that a weight off my shoulders.  And Lady Instructors, ya'all get first dibs.

Thanks.

I promise to continue to help you all have a good experience so that someday you can possibly return the favor.  Might not be me personally, but you know that with each child, woman or man you teach or bring along you will be paying Appleseed back.

Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Guy

ps, Dugin, I'm sure Papa would ahve taken it like a man.  I would have cried.  Thanks for not embarasing me.

Big Mama

Guy,
If you think I was excited when I was at my first shoot in Evansville, you should have seen the back flip when I scored 192 at Puryear.  Hang on to your hats cause I'm after one . . . and a patch too!  Guy, I told you those six steps would work. :)
Big Mama 

MemaJean

Hey Guy, you helped me get my patch.  I'll never forget that and if I'm still around (and getting around) I'll for sure be going to Appleseeds and I'd be proud to help with "your girls."  Bet Susan will be there and by then, maybe she won't be so shy - she can sure shoot!   
  I ordered My Own Rifle yesterday!!!!!  See ya someday hopefully soon  MemaJean

DragonWood

Hi Ladies! (and to the gents reading this thread as well! ;) )

First let me say that YOU ladies (and the ones to come) are one of the main reasons that I became an instructor! Thanks for being part of the program and directly or indirectly being a part of my life!

I wrote the following over a year ago. It started off simply as my journey to Rifleman. It was edited to then include my journey to Rifleman and Red Hat...then Green Hat....and now Master Instructor!

Here is my story:

My journey began at the Ramseur Appleseed in September of 2006. You see, this was the first time that I had ever fired a rifle. I received a twenty minute lesson the day before on how to operate the AR15 and how to make it safe.
   I had done my homework before going to the Appleseed. A friend of mine had given me a copy of Fred's guide. I studied the guide and learned the six steps to firing a shot. I committed them to memory. I learned the safety rules. I studied and practiced the different shooting position. I have to admit that my body didn't like me too much after trying the prone position for the first few times! I got a basic understanding of IMC's. I tried to learn the different slings but I decided that could wait until the Appleseed.

There I am at the Appleseed, staring at the red coat target we are about to shoot. I clearly remember laying on a borrowed shooting matt, using a borrowed AR15 and feeling my heart beat so fast I thought my chest would explode! Then the command "FIRE" was given. I was nervous and excited at the same time. The concussion of all the rifles (about 30 that day) going off at once was heart stopping. In just a few minutes it was over.
   I won't bore you with the details of the weekend just know that I made it through the Appleseed without shooting my eye out! I will share with you that I left in tears of frustration thinking I had failed miserably. I believe that I shot a whole 50 points on one of the AQT's Well, at least I got some on paper! My friend tried to cheer me up by reminding me of all the things that I knew and did correctly and never once violated a safety rule. 

My first post on the forum following the Appleseed went something like this: "Imagine being thrown into the deep end of a swimming pool, never having swam before. Oh yeah, don't forget, you did get a 20 minute lesson the night before!"

So my journey continues. The next time I got to shoot was at the Orlando Appleseed in January 2007. I was so excited because I got to use my birthday present, a new Ruger 1022. I loved the rifle and got through another Appleseed, again without shooting my eye out. I learned some more things about the six steps, got a better understanding of NPOA, gained a little more confidence, and most importantly learned not to lie next to someone shooting a Garand! I managed to eek out a 128 on an AQT. I was still a cook, but a far cry from the potato peeler that I was with my previous score of 50. I left this Appleseed with a big smile! I had fun!

I set a personal goal of not only shooting a Rifleman score, but also getting my Red Hat before the end of the August Ramseur Boot Camp.

I took my 1022 to the range as much as possible and practiced and practiced and practiced on one inch squares.  I was lucky enough to have a great coach who helped out many times over the course of the next several months! The first thing he noticed was me canting the rifle. After correcting that problem my groups finally started to shrink and go in the right place.
   I worked on the AQT by stages as well. One day we did an NPOA exercise. I was amazed. It finally clicked. I finally understood NPOA. I just needed to learn to TRUST it which eventually I did.

I didn't take it easy though, as I had to prepare myself for boot camp. So I continued to practice my drills of mag changes, of acquiring my NPOA, of going from standing to sitting or prone, and of course more AQT's. I also worked on my cadence. I worked hard and sweat a lot in the heat of those summer days.

Then came RBC4. The last time that I got to shoot before BC was over a week before and I wasn't very pleased with my performance. I thought I had forgotten everything I learned!

I didn't shoot rifleman at boot camp on day one or even day two! My scores ranged from the 190's to 209! YIKES! I was knocking on the door! Then finally on day three I shot a 218!

Folks, if I can go from never having fired a rifle to a Rifleman and Red Hat in a year, so can you! It takes determination (as my friend refers to mine as my bull dog determination). It also takes a personal commitment. Practice and more practice. Just set your goal and PERSERVERE!

After reaching my goal of getting my red hat, my sights were then set upon the Green Hat. This past October I was honored when I received an invitation to become a Master Instructor!

So my journey took 2 years! But my journey still continues. I have met some wonderful people along the road and know that I will meet many a more!

Ladies,  Good luck with your journey! Hope to meet you on the trail!

DW  (aka Kim)

Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. (George Washington)

M.E.

Been so busy lately haven't had time to watch the forums.  Just noticed this one and thought I would post my story.  I've been shooting trap & Skeet for about the last 5 or so years but it's been years since I had even picked up a rifle. (can't remember how long) When my Husband and boys said they were going to this "Appleseed" event my first instinct was to feel a little left out.  Well, after my husband signed up myself and my daughter I had second thoughts.  What was I thinking?  I am going to be WAY out of my league I know nothing about this and quite frankly my daughter and I were thinking it was going to be "weird".  I mean come on Revolutionary War?? 

I get there and was so thrilled to see "Old Glory" but was almost afraid to talk to her, me being a novice and all.  Come to find out her husband was an instructor!  Well, she must then know what she is doing and I am really going to feel stupid...."The Guy" quickly without warning has us go to the line.....Wait!  I'm freaking out!  I don't even know what kind of gun my husband packed for me more less how to load it!!  You are going to tell us how to load it right???  Sweat is starting to show...well, it was the 4th of July in Ottawa, IL.  About 85 degrees out after all.  I whisper to my hubby...hurry show me how to load the darn thing...it's a tube fed 22. 

So he shows me I do my best...well to make a long story short my daughter was the second one to make Rifleman out of the 25 in attendance or so and by Sunday I also made Rifleman!  How exciting!  Old Glory had to leave a day early but she would have made it that day too...come to find out we were two old gals in the same boat spending time with our families and ended up having a lot of fun!  Been to a couple mini appleseeds since and hope to make a few next summer again.  Let me add out of the 8 riflemen that weekend 4 of them were from my family!  My husband first, then my 18 yr old Daughter "NOFOMOHO"  My 21 year old son "oddball" who is now an Instructor in Training along with myself. 

A couple will be at Ottawa this weekend for the IBC. 

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin with it!  **)

M.E.

Old Glory!

Quote from: M.E. a Rifleman? on December 09, 2008, 09:11:52 PM
come to find out we were two old gals in the same boat spending time with our families and ended up having a lot of fun! 
M.E.

ME, 

That first morning of our first Appleseed together was quite an experience!  You, NOFONOHO, and I all had some "issues" to sweat through.  It was a bit comforting to know that we were "in it" together.  Pretty cool since we just met a few minutes earlier, and I admired the fact that your whole family (minus the youngest) was there together.   I was always interested to look at your targets and see what difficulties you were working through, and how you were progressing, especially in the standing position!  Now we're talkin trap shooting experience!

Being married to an instructor might have a few advantages, but in our lessons at home it was easy for me to say "you want me to do WHAT?!?!  Pull that sling TIGHTER?!??!  Move my elbow WHERE?!?!  I can't do THAT!".  So I had very little preparation before that first day of AS we had together.   

I was also impressed by the politeness of the other attendees of all ages; gun nuts really aren't a bunch of crazy people after all.  And I was REALLY happy to see you and Hannah, who I think was wearing a softball jacket.  I remember thinking, she's gonna do well; she's athletic and probably competitive.

Then the instruction began, and there was really no time to worry about things, only listen and follow the instructions, which came like they said, like trying to drink from a fire hose.  Your going to get a little drink, but most of the water is going to go by you.   By the time lunch came around, I was really happy to sit down and listen to the Rev War History.   

I think it was day two when I crossed out "cook" on my name tag as I had earned "marksman".  The instruction was helpful, patient and persistent.  I was beginning to believe what the instructors told us; women generally do well because they listen and apply what they hear.     

As we talked throughout the day during breaks and prep periods, bonds formed with all of us.  It is hard to describe, but I think it has something to do with learning something important, growing together through challenges, and realizing what sacrifices were made by the men and women at the founding of our Country,  and the hope and task of us working together to preserve it. 

I hope this topic is an encouragement to all women who might have doubts about attending an AS. Becoming a Rifleman is not only significant for individuals, but is so important for us all.

Old Glory!

Old Glory!

Hi all,
I had the opportunity to attend an AS fall, 2008 with a woman red hat instructing.  Winona, MN - Savage Shooter.  Her instruction was simple and precise; she made a difference for at least 3, first-time women shooters that weekend, with focused one on one instruction when time and circumstances allowed.  She could see the frustration of one female attendee who just wanted to walk away from the range, and gave her the correction and encouragement she needed to continue the rest of the day, and the next!  Inspirational!

Another positive activity that I witnessed involving women on the line was in Manchester, TN.  This time it was a male orange-hat-at-the-time (Taz) who really went the extra mile with personal instruction of a female senior attendee.  He persisted and did whatever it took to help her have a fruitful Appleseed experience. 

Kayse from Iowa, please post on this topic.  You've got an awesome story!  If you are reading this and know her, give her a nudge, would ya. ;D  How about you, S'more Chick?  There are a lot of women who have been to Appleseeds who have not posted yet.  I'm interested in your story.....and I think Fred is too.  You know, the guy with the blow-torch!  He uses it like a refiner's fire - when he's done, all that's left is gold!

OG

ItsanSKS

Updated the 'Testimonials' .pdf to include the State of MO for Susan.

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Garand Dame

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen of Appleseed,

I just spoke with FunFaler. He encouraged me to post my story here and after reading some of your stories it makes me even more proud to be a RWVA Woman. I was saying to FF today my New Years resolution in 2008 was to become more e-mail proficient etc. Well it was October and I had sent a few e-mails but, I had never been on a forum or posted anything. After I got home from my AS weekend I was inspired to get involved, to "get off the couch and start saving our country." as Fred says. My first step was to join. My second step is I have become the "Promotions Boss" for the Kentucky Knob Creek 2009 Appleseeds. So any way here is my story as originally posted.:

Sincerely,
Garand Dame

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: The joys of activism
<< Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 12:17:07 AM >>
   Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify
A few months ago my husband picked up a Gun News and read that there would be an AS in Kentucky. He got really excited and signed me up. He then proceeded to invite everyone he talked to pretty much. He said here read these 6 steps from Fred, and your gonna need to practice dry firing. Every time I turned around he was on the computer working on more stuff about how to get me ready for AS, ordering sites etc. Over the past few months I would kinda read all the stuff he had printed out for me. Then the weekend of the shoot was fast approaching and I hadn't prepared at all. He loaded the... well everything. I barely got us lunch together. We're on our way I'm less than enthusiastic. We got there and we were greeted warmly. I laid out my tarp etc. My instructor found out pretty darn quick that I had never fired a rifle much less loaded one. He didn't flinch. He loaned me his shooting jacket right away. It's amazing to me really how fast it all began to come together. The beauty of the wooded area, the revolutionary war stories of lives lost and lived, and the gunfire in the background. Thinking about it and talking about it all Saturday night I was sort of in a whirlwind. Sunday morning it all began to come together. Every Instructor seemed to have a special bit of knowledge that sealed the deal. By the end of the weekend I didn't get a patch but, in my heart I became a rifleman. I got my t-shirt, signed up,but the real kicker was when I got to shoot The M1Garand and at about 75 yards I was able to take out a gas can 3 or 4 out of 8 times. That was a blast!!! Now I'm ready for step 7. I'm off the couch and ready to be a leader.
BTW my instructors were pretty excited at my evolution from not knowing... well anything to successfully firing the M1Garand, that they gave me my forum name. Thanks again guys you're the best!

SavageShootr

Hey Garand Dame.

Woman to Woman. I am glad to have you aboard.

In my opinion a person with a patch, who goes back to the couch, (they are out there) is less a Rifleman than someone without a patch with the Heart that you have. Welcome. BTW, that is a great name those Instructors gave you.  <:)

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

M.E.

Just wanted to send an update to let you all know I got off the couch! (well, not sure I was ever really on it but...) Although I didn't make the Dec. IBC with my husband and son I got to attend one this weekend up in WI at Old Glories and Coly Cats place.  Wow what a great weekend with a great group of folks.  I can honestly say I was with a GREAT group of people.  Every one of them. 

Made the 5 hour trip with my husband (Wurstmacher) and son(Oddball) from IL and got to experience 3 Wonderful Deserving men make Red Hats (EEL, VMT, and JRTURBO) by the end of the weekend.  Heard History shared like never before and saw IMC taught in a very understandable manner.  Thank you for all your support and encouragement.  Looking forward to getting on the line and sharing with others myself.  This is a new experience for me and I am interested to see where the trail takes me.

I will speak to the women now since this is a women of appleseed thread.  If you are a regular to the forum you need to take the 7th step, even if you are unsure just do it.  I guarantee lots of laughs and encouragement.  It's worth the time away from home.  You are guaranteed to make some great friends.

M.E.

Old Glory!

The Women of Appleseed, and Stories from Appleseed Weekends.   

I just came off a different kind of Appleseed weekend.  No shooting.  All classroom.  An Instructor Boot Camp.  Of the 20 attendees, there were 3 women who attended.  DinkyDao, a red hat, M.E. and myself. 

To learn how to teach is yet another challenge in Project Appleseed.  Riflemen know about the safety rules, line commands, 6 steps of firing the shot, positions, sling usage, Rifleman's cadence, talking targets, inches/minutes/clicks and history, but now you are going to learn how to ARTICULATE all of this knowledge to OTHER Appleseeders.     

I used to be so afraid to stand up and say ANYTHING in front of people.  Even the shortest sentence.  Anticipation of any simple, short speech would send me into a nervous frenzie, worrying that my voice would shake and I would turn flush, and almost certainly break down and cry.  Embarrassing; so most times I would just not even attempt such a mortifying task. 

So WHY would I EVER think about ATTEMPTING to become an instructor?!  On reflection it seems to me that sometime shortly after my first Appleseed, the stories told and the skills taught began to sink into my mind, and make their  way into my heart.  I think it was the mind first; then the heart, but that's kind of like the chicken or the egg.  I'm not sure, which came first. 

At my second Appleseed I earned the Rifleman's patch, and my third Appleseed I only had a desire to shoot and confirm my newly acquired skills.  My fourth Appleseed was one that I helped set up, and the shoot boss needed some help, so I helped clear the line and helped one new shooter on the line.   Which led to the thought that I MUST get to an IBC to find out how a Rifleman learns to teach.  Oh boy! 

At the IBC I was really uncomfortable attempting to repeat the materials that were presented so smoothly and effectively by the Instructor teaching the IBC.  But I muddled through the first 6 hours and felt sorry for those who had to listen to my attempts.  Upon arising the next morning, I PRAYED for help to make it through the day.  The third day was a clincher.  We were going to shoot full distance.  Which meant I would have to shoot a center fire rifle.  Something ELSE I had never done in my life.   MORE apprehension.  But I realized all the same Appleseed instruction that I had learned as a shooter on the line at an Appleseed with my .22 applied to this new challenge.  Success.  Now I had been able to hit a 20 inch target at 500 yards, just like the advertisements for Appleseed say.  How this instills confidence, I do not know, but IT DOES.  If you can do THAT, you can CERTAINLY stand  up in front of your family and friends and say a few words, especially when they come from your heart. 

Instructing may not be where you are going in Appleseed.  There certainly are as many tasks at hand that need to be done in Appleseed that are just as important, and some things that are even MORE important than instructing.  Like Dinky Dao and other State Coordinators who set up shoots, without which there is no need for instructors.  Or Savageshootr who manages the working schedule and compiles and checks all the shoot information before Riflewoman manages the Eventbrite scheduling (along with 100 other task!).  These women DO AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF IMPORTANT WORK, and are RED HATS to boot!  Then there is Dond's wife, Sarah, who is a shoot admin guru.

I've heard legendary stories of other Appleseed women across the country whom I have not yet had a chance to meet like Dragonwood, Bluefeather and more.  I've met a LOT of women on the line who have done courageous things just attending an Appleseed.  There are women of Appleseed that we may never see, but hope to some day; women whose husbands go off and Appleseed on the weekends while they stay home and take care of the children.  You, too, are Appleseed heroes.  It is such an honor to be amongst ALL of you. 

Appleseed is in need of Promotion Bosses especially for April 18-19, 2009.  This important task will help fill our firing lines to capacity.  Each firing line that is not full to capacity is a missed opportunity.   Can you help Appleseed fulfill its potential on this historic date?  Ladies?

DragonWood

M.E. and Old Glory and to all the ladies of AS.

Isn't this a wonderful place to be a part of?!! Glad to hear that you both had a great IBC experience and got in some KD shooting as well! Personally, I love the KD shooting, I think it is easier! ;)

I would love to get more women involved in instructing. One of the reasons I became an instructor was to help other women. I was just one of a few female instructors initially. You have to admit that we look at things differently then men do and they don't always understand what it is we are going thru especially if it involves a tear or two.

I would love to be able to instruct an all female IBC. If you know of some ladies out there that want to instruct or maybe they just don't know it yet, try to get them together and I will try to schedule one in!

BTW, to all of you in CA, I plan on instructing at the RBC in CA in June.  Would love to have some female company and meet the ladies out west!

Thank you ladies for all you do for the program!

DW
Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. (George Washington)

Trisha

While I grew up in my dad's house, I never once saw a firearm in the house. I didn't really know what to think of them, to be truthful I don't think I ever really thought about them. When I was sixteen I started dating Ahhshoot and that was the first time I ever was around them. Before the age of twenty-two I probably held a gun twice in my life because Ahhshoot said I needed to. The first Appleseed I went to was in Winona, MN in September 2008 and I think the only reason I went to it was because Old Glory bought everyone glasses, earplugs, and ammunition on her birthday in July and she said she would pay for the hotel room if we all signed up to go. I thought this was a very generous offer so I took her up on it.

When I went to Winona I didn't know how to load a magazine, how to load it into the rifle, let alone how to hold it. Thanks to Iowa Mark, Savage Shooter, Colycat and Johnny Appleseed I improve immensely in just that weekend. I remember on Sunday I even started to get so frustrated during the sitting position I was ready to walk away and if it weren't for Colycat and Savage Shooter I probably would have. Once they were able to help me get back on the right track I continued to improve and I couldn't wait to go to another one.

I went to another Appleseed in Lodi, WI and I still was improving but I didn't score over 200. Over the winter I went to Colycat's and Old Glory's backyard and shot in the snow and it was a great experience.

I went to my third Appleseed in Kentucky. On the first day I was shooting in mud and rain and it didn't seem like becoming a rifleman was going to be possible that weekend. I was wrong! I scored rifleman at the end of  Sunday! I scored a 215 and I was so excited. It made me think that if I can do it anyone can.

Molon-Labe

Howdy! I attended my first Appleseed event this past weekend in Boulder City, Nevada, and it won't be my last! I had set a goal for myself to improve my marksmanship this year, so when I approached some shooting friends of mine who are more experienced looking for some pointers, they turned me on to the AP, although they haven't yet had a chance to attend themselves.

I checked out the website, registered and had a great time! Here is my AAR (which I posted on another gun forum to which I belong):

Wow, what a great weekend! If you haven't been to an Appleseed event, you owe it to yourself to get to one soon! There are 3 more events scheduled for 2009: in May, September and November. The exact dates and registration info can be found here: www.appleseedinfo.org

This weekend's event was a lot of fun. The weather was just about perfect (except for the breeze that kicked up Sunday afternoon) and the Appleseed people were just great. Very helpful, and taught us all a lot. There were approximately 40-45 people there on Saturday, and about 30 some on Sunday. The goal of the Appleseed project is to double attendance every year, and their goal this year is to put 8,000 people through the program.

For those not familiar with Appleseed, it teaches marksmanship and also the history that inspired the event--namely, the militiamen that took on the British Regular Army in the beginning salvos of the Revolutionary War.

Lunch breaks and end of the day we were taught the history of some of the key players of what Appleseed calls the three strikes of the match that lit the Revolutionary War, as well as some history and anecdotes of individuals, both well-known and not so well-known.

As for the marksmanship portion of the project, we were split into two adjacent bays, with .22s in one bay and centerfire rifles in the other. There were definitely more .22s there, but AR-15s, AKs and SKSs were also represented, along with other military pattern rifles (I chose to train with my 10/22 because of the cost of ammo). We started out by shooting was they call the "Redcoats" silhouette: It features a 100, 200, 300, and 400 yard scaled target, and a square 250 yard "head" shot. The exercise was to put 3 shots into each silhouette; the farthest target where you could place all 3 rounds is considered your effective range. This was to gauge our starting skill level, and gave us a benchmark to improve over the course of the event.

We then were instructed in the 6 steps of firing a round, with detailed explanations and demonstrations by the instructors (all of whom are volunteers and do this for the love of it, and the desire to preserve our heritage). We were also shown 3 different sling positions and how to utilize them in various shooting positions. We were given handouts that showed examples of shot group placements and the cause of various groupings, as well as how to correct them on future attempts. Safety was rigorously observed; with the exception of two individuals firing a first shot (downrange) prior to being given the fire command, there were no issues with safety as a result of the diligence of the instructors and safety officers.

After working with the Redcoat targets, and one inch square targets to help sight in rifles that needed it (in which we were taught what MOA was and how to calculate the size difference in inches, minutes and clicks for different distances), we mostly worked with a modified version of the Army Qualification Test (AQT). Any shooters that score at least 210 on the target receive a Rifleman patch from the Appleseed Project. One Las Vegas local got his patch Sunday morning, and has volunteered to be an instructor for the program.

We worked on the AQT both Saturday and Sunday, shooting standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone, and learned to shoot while transitioning between the positions. We were also timed on the course. I ended Saturday by shooting Marksman (145) and ended Sunday by shooting Sharpshooter (188). I even met an two Arfcom lurkers!

I will definitely be attending future events (I WILL have a patch soon!) and encourage you to do the same. I met some great people and learned a lot. I even got a T-shirt out of the deal. Hope to see more of you at one of these in the future!

Molon-Labe/Laurie
Well-behaved women rarely make history.

blueskys

How I got started.

Well the first Appleseed I went to was with Nickle at Hartford, CT in 2007, which is where I first met Fred and Mrs. Fred.
I was a bit nervous at first. Nickle introduced me to Fred.  I was nervous, but Fred had a friendly hand shake that made me feel a bit easier. Then Nickle told him I was cross eye dominant. Fred then said jokingly "we can fix that we have enough guys here to hold her and take two plastic spoons and switch her eyes". I replied "I don't think so", after that I was no longer nervous around Fred. I got over it that day thanks to Fred and Nickle; they both are good at making a person feel comfortable.  Both Fred &Mrs. Fred are very nice. I have  always been interested  into guns and shooting after I went to an Appleseed, it was so clear that this program has so much to offer, so I tell everyone, I even told the guy that came to fix my furnace and told him how much fun he can have, and to look at the web site. In the three years I have been with Nickle, he has broadened my interests much more. So much more that some may think I'm a bit different, but when we get married, I want my wedding at an Appleseed and my Honeymoon at a Rifleman Boot Camp. I think that would be so cool, but that's me, and how much I like Appleseed. 

Trisha

Being a woman in the program, it makes it easier for me to reach out to other women, those women who are harder to reach, like the soccer moms. We, as women are given the opportunity to reach other women, women who men have a hard time to reach. So, this should be every woman's goal in the in program, to bring more women to the program. I know that everyone hears about the 7th step and how we are to spread the word, but I feel it is very important for women in the program to realize that we have the power to relate to women. For instance, if a soccer mom could see you willing and able to go to an AS, they may think that they can do it too.

freedomkat

I grudgingly attended my first Appleseed this past weekend in Manchester, TN. I wasn't sure what to expect, though I expected to be utterly lost as I had never shot a rifle before. My husband attended his first Appleseed a few weeks ago in Kentucky, and I decided to attend one myself at his suggestion, mainly because we have firearms in the house, and I wanted to be able to load them or unload them if ever necessary.

When I got to Appleseed, I didn't know where the safety was on my gun, how to insert the magazine, or even how to prepare a magazine. The first time we were asked to get into prone position and shoot the redcoat target, I tried to imitate what my husband had been doing since he came home from Appleseed. I wasn't able to get all my shots off on that exercise because of magazine issues, :( and to my utter shock, every shot I got off was in the red (3 in the 100 yrd target, 3 in the 200 yard, 3 in the 300 yard and one in the 400 yard). I still had no idea what I was doing, and my heart was racing with every shot.

Under the guidance of our wonderful instructors, we all learned the six steps, how to find NPOA, how to use a sling (I always thought they were just to carry a gun on your back!) and how to squeeze the trigger (this was the hardest thing for me, I was bouncing the trigger a lot). Big Papa was especially helpful, and would correct my form and tell me when I was dragging wood or bouncing the trigger. He even let me borrow his gun, since mine was a bolt and I was having trouble getting enough shots off.

When I signed up for Appleseed, I decided I would go and see how it was on Saturday, but didn't really plan on going back Sunday. We shot one AQT Saturday, and I was hooked. I shot a 188 on my first AQT, and I couldn't stand the thought of not coming back the next day and at least trying to get Rifleman. I went home that night, took some tylenol, put an ice pack on my elbow, and went to sleep earlier than I had in years (who knew that laying on the ground could make you so sore!).

I made the mistake of drinking coffee the next morning, which I don't usually do, and was so jittery before lunch that I was all over the place, and my AQT score was stuck at 188 for the first several that we did. After lunch my nerves had calmed a little, and we shot several more AQTs. We shot one, and Big Papa carried it back for me, while I put up the next AQT target. I didn't have time to score it or ask him my score before shooting the next AQT and he took that one back too to score it while I was shooting the third one after lunch. After that, we finally had a break, and Big Papa came up to show me my targets. On the first target, we had to re-shoot the standing portion, so there were 20 holes, 10 of which had been marked, and they couldn't find one of my shots. I think it was finally decided that there was one double hole, which made my score 209!! I was so disappointed to be that close and not get it, and totally forgot about the other target, until Big Papa pulled it out from under the other one and said "but on this one, you shot 215!" I was so excited, and couldn't believe how much I had learned in just two days. We had an amazing team of instructors who were very patient, yet they expected a lot of us and pushed us to reach our goals.

Now that I am Rifleman, I am working on Step 7, and trying to plan an Appleseed in the next couple of months in Nashville (please let me know if you would like to come, we are working on finding a range and getting a date now). I am so grateful that my husband pushed me to go to Appleseed, and am much more comfortable around guns now. We are hoping to go as a family to another Appleseed in two weeks, and then hopefully I will be able to volunteer as an IIT.

I never thought I would enjoy Appleseed as much as I did.
I went as a cook, I left as a Riflewoman.
I went as a housewife, I left as a mom who can teach her kids safety with and respect for firearms.
I went knowing nothing, I left knowing some, now I begin the trail to learn the rest.
All might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they should. -Samuel Adams

Trisha

This past weekend I instructed for the first time. I loved it! I wished it was a 3 day event. We had about 26 shooters and 8 instructors. That is an awesome student to instructor ratio! I must say that almost everyone there that I helped were willing to listen to me and wanted to learn. To my surprise, the ones who took my advice the best were men who were 15 to 20 years older than me. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect since I am a young female only in my early 20's. Yes, I was able to work with a few women, and for the most part they were willing to let me help them come closer to achieving their Rifleman's score.

I know I have a lot to work on, especially going up and talking in front of adults. I am not scared of talking in front of adults I just forget what I wanted to say. I can talk to children anytime without stumbling as bad as I did on sunday when I was talking a little bit about the women's history.

My favorite part of AS is being able to lay down next to someone, watch them, and see what I can help them improve on. Working with someone one-on-one and seeing them improve is the best feeling in the world!

I have to say that I can't wait til I get to instruct at the next AS I'm going to in OH in May!

AK Panda

Howdy All!

My story is fairly lame but it's mine just the same!

My uncle, who i am very close to, has his FFL and has always been a "gun nut", (emphasis on the nut :D). He "talked me into" buying my first pistol about 3 years ago. I was scared to shoot it for 2.5 years! One day a friend of mine wanted someone to show her how to shoot a hand gun, so I said " hey, c'mon over and we'll figure it out together." I had so much fun doing that that I asked my uncle about a good rifle....he talked me into a Beretta Storm - because of the "matching" handgun. I was hooked! I just loved the sport and was quite impressed that I could actually hit a target, although not very well. I had so much fun i bought 5 (yes, i do tend to buy lots of toys!!) rifles of various caliber and make, within the next year. Still firing away, still loving the smell of Hoppes #9 in the living room, still hitting the target but not so well.

A woman friend of mine from work was telling me about this thing called Appleseed last summer. Being the thrifty New Englander I am, I thought "where else am I gonna be able to get ANY kind of instruction for the low cost of an Appleseed?" So i signed up and attended the event at the local range. WOW!! I had so much fun and learned so much about firing the shot, I went from "hey cool, i hit the target" to  "HEY! what's story? What am i not doing correctly?" I was creeping up on Rifleman.  All of a sudden I was at my NEXT Appleseed,  a fair distance from home, and having a ball! I am so close to Rifelman I can taste it, which of course, means I am trying too hard to get it and losing 2 - 5 points a target. I am confident I'll get there, a Rifleman persists.

Somehow I got "roped into" attending an IBC, then recruited to "work an event". That scared the poo right from me! I stuck it out and met with my FABULOUS Shoot Boss a few times to get ready. We got the range ready for the shooters, figured out how to improve the target stands and the like, and i reviewed the material almost every night. I didn't want to  screw it up on "THE BIG DAY!" I'm not sure what I was worried about -  All I had to do was tell the shooters what I learned from Appleseed!! My Shoot Boss told me I would become a better shooter by helping others - I  believe it's true. I am CONFIDENT a rifleman patch will be on my sleeve before the end of the Appleseed "season" here in the Northeast!

I am totally hooked on this! I am actively trying to get other women I know to get to a 'seed to see what the fun's all about!
As always, I am ever grateful to the women who have come before me who paved the way. Maybe this my chance to break trail for those who come after!

See ya on the Trail!

AK Panda
IIT
Battle of Hubbardton

The Green Mountain Boys fought bravely.

The only battle fought in Vermont during the Revolution on July 7, 1777