News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Women of Appleseed, Stories from Appleseed Weekends

Started by funfaler, November 22, 2008, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

The Mrs.,
Thanks for putting your experience into words.   It will be an inspiration for others.

OG
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

The Mrs.

Sharing my experience was my pleasure!!  Coming across AS is one of the best "Coincidences" of my life.  I really don't believe in coincidences, I feel that things happen for a reason.

Although LittleMo and I have not yet made Rifleman (can't wait until our Oct shoot  ;)), we have been doing everything we can to promote this great organization, and see it grow.  Along with talking to everyone who will listen to us about AS, we are also working with the BoD of our gun club to get them to open up to having Appleseeds there.  :wall:  If we, working with our Ass't State Coordinator, can get this pulled off, it will be quite a coup, putting a Seed in earshot of the NYS Capital (well not literally, but within 10 miles or so), as well as one of the larger population areas of the state.

So even though I have not made IIT YET, the work goes on to help our fellow countrymen and women wake up.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

savagerabbit

Hi all!
First post about my first Appleseed.  :)
I don't recall where I first heard about the Appleseed Organization but I do remember that I started bugging my husband about going almost immediately.  It took him almost a year to come around but we (meaning me and my two boys) would probably STILL be nagging him to go if he hadn't realized that an old friend of his was in the local group.
That friend, Siglite, asked if maybe our homeschool group would like to come out and try a One Day Appleseed dedicated to just us.  Oh yeah... No more begging and waiting!  He set up the event and I set out to get as many folks as I could to come out!  He said "the more the merrier" so I took that as a challenge!
We ended up with 18 kids and 8 adults on the line.  I have to add that the vast majority of the kids... were under 10 years old.  I also have to admit.. I WAS SCARED!  Wow.. what a safety challenge!  They did an awesome job rounding up enough volunteers that we had a 2:1 student/instructor ratio. 

The instructors WERE INCREDIBLE! Just fantastic.  I can't say enough about them.

Now.. about my experience.  Like a lot of the other stories I've read here, I didn't have any firearms around growing up.  Dad didn't hunt and saw no use at all for a handgun. I've always been kinda fascinated tho.  Good thing I married a complete gun nut.   ^:)^ I'm not a complete newb, but pretty darn near. (:  I carry my handgun every day and I feel fairly confident.  I've taken down small game at quite a distance with my old trusty .22 that I keep by the back door.   I've never really had any formal training (Shame shame shame on the husband) so I assumed I would always just be a mediocre shot.

I started the day out being just that... a mediocre, even POOR shot.  Half way through the day... I broke my rifle.  :(   I borrowed one of the instructor's and I was completely lost.  Hated it.  My husband hands me another and I had a revelation!!!!  I'M RIGHT HANDED AND LEFT EYE DOMINANT!!
Wow.. now what?  The instructor said.. "huh.. you don't happen to be ambidextrous do you?"  and my heart sunk.  "I'll never shoot well"  "I suck so bad"  "Damn this stupid body,,, damn that stupid eye"
Determined to not give up I changed  to my left.  He said "I don't know.. you're not left handed, prolly not a good idea".  I said I had to try.
I BLEW THAT LAST RED COAT TARGET AWAY!!!  I EVEN HIT THE DANIEL MORGAN SQUARE!!!!!
I would have gone my whole life not knowing I was a left handed shooter had it not been for Appleseed!   This was just this past weekend and I'm going again in a few weeks!  Oh... I got bit HARD by the Appleseed bug!! 
I didn't get my patch and I don't even care because I know I will!!!
"What a triumph for our enemies..... to find that we are incapable of governing ourselves."  George Washington

EZ3

You're so darn right you will!  Way to persevere!   O0  (sorry about the mixup with the mags)
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

savagerabbit

Quote from: EZ3 on November 23, 2010, 11:33:53 PM
You're so darn right you will!  Way to persevere!   O0  (sorry about the mixup with the mags)

No prob.  I was sweating it pretty hard thinking that I'd lost it!
"What a triumph for our enemies..... to find that we are incapable of governing ourselves."  George Washington

brickhouse

Savagerabbit,

We look forward to seeing you again. Stay tuned, we will likely have a Ladyseed at Eleanor this coming Spring. None of those icky men allowed.   @&)  Please come back and bring friends!

brickhouse
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

savagerabbit

Quote from: brickhouse on November 24, 2010, 01:01:05 PM
Savagerabbit,

We look forward to seeing you again. Stay tuned, we will likely have a Ladyseed at Eleanor this coming Spring. None of those icky men allowed.   @&)  Please come back and bring friends!

brickhouse
oh!! I'll be there!

iloveliberty

Quote from: vkf10/22 on June 29, 2010, 05:43:00 PM
I was ready to go home have a shower and head to bed.....and the thought did cross my mind for a split second, maybe I should just stay home tomorrow.....but I knew that was not an option for me and I fell asleep thinking of stories of  April 19, 1775
Vonnie

Vonnie,
You're not alone. My first appleseed was a disaster. I took a rifle that was not set up at all. With no time at all for my husband to set it during the event (they do tell you to have your rifles set up ahead of time, unfortunately I didn't have enough knowledge to do it myself ahead of time). I don't learn well under pressure, so the bootcamp like atmosphere from the main instructor didn't help. Thankfully the instructor that was closest to me was very patient. Unfortunately by the end of the day i was just an audience. My back was ceasing up, and I was discouraged, but I have made it my goal to not give up and the next event I will hopefully be ready, no matter who the instructor is.
"Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." John Quincy Adams

The Wolfhound

Equipment fails, the weather turns dicey, a Rifleman persists.  My wife had issues on her first appleseed.  It was discovered rather late in the day that her scope had worked loose.   !@#)  We took the time to upgrade our scope rings and resight before our second appleseed.  She brought her determination, her teachable attitude and a now reliable rifle to her second appleseed.  She found success.  Keep Going!

iloveliberty

I agree. Am seeing now and hearing from many others that if your equipment is faulty, appleseed with find it out. Also looking back I don't think I brought the teachable attitude like I thought I did. I am thankful for all the instructors, even those that seemed to be tough at the time. They are doing their jobs, and fine jobs at that. Appleseed is not for whiners.  :)
"Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." John Quincy Adams

BonnieBlue

I went to my first Appleseed when I was 12. At first, I was so proud of my self for going with my Daddy to a shoot. But the only thing was, I had NEVER shot a .22 or any gun before! (well, air soft guns.)  So, when we started to shoot, I started to think," what am I doing? This thing might blow up in my face!" But all the instructors helped me out, told me there is nothing to be afraid of. At the end of mt first day, I had shot a 185 on my AQT. My dad, who had been in the Army, got his rifleman. Right when he got his, I wanted one soooo bad. So by the 2nd time I went ( I only went for 1 day the first time) I was determined to get rifleman. Every thing went really well. I was getting 5 shots on a 1inch square. People were saying they wanted me on their shooting team. I started to feel really good. So, my 2nd day on the range, I got my rifleman, shot a 218 on my AQT, got a orange hat. And was very happy!
I LOVE Appleseeds. I'm 13 right now(2011) and still an IIT 0. lol!   
I hope to be on my way to IIT 1.

Best wishes,
Bonnie Blue ( a.k.a Jenna)

SavageShootr

Gosh it has been ages since I read any of these posts. Great Job Ladies!!

Welcome aboard.

BonnieBlue, congratulations!!

Keep the stories coming.

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Amber Waves

Finally! 
This past weekend at the McLean,IL shoot I shot 210 and got my ice water baptism.  This of course is after seven Appleseeds with scores hovering around that magic number, I mean how many times can a person shoot 209.

So, to make a long story short, I'm taking up a Blue Hat with my youngest daughter, Olivia.  My husband and older daughter are already orange hats  and my son, Josh wants to get his,too.  We want to get out to more Appleseeds as a family.  That seventh step is calling and I'm still hoping to stop hovering and shoot that 210+ score on the AQT every time.

Red Niva

I went to my first appleseed at the beginning of September in Toccoa, GA. My dad and I had gone with a friend to a Georgia Militia meeting and then decided to join the militia. We heard about appleseed from a few people in the group who had gone and gotten their patch. We decided to sign up for one coming up. I thought i was  pretty good shot already from my dad teaching me how to shoot since i was 10. When i got their i was shy cause i didn't really know anyone. I found out that i had a lot more to learn than i had expected. When we began shooting, a lot of the instructors saw my target and were pretty impressed. They said i had a great talent. That really made me open up some more and talk to the instructors. When we left we decided to come to an appleseed that was coming up in October in Toccoa also. By the end of the second day i had scored a 207 and a 203. I couldn't wait for the next appleseed! My next appleseed was in November(also in Toccoa). I worked my best and with a lot of help from DrJohn and Goose, i scored a 225 and a 238 by the end of the second day! I was so happy! ^:)^ I got my patch(it was even purple! My favorite!) and I accepted my orange hat and am going to my first appleseed as an orange hat this weekend in Ramseur, NC! ^:)^ I am 13 years about to be 14. Even if he doesn't want to admit it, i have inspired my 11 year old brother to get his patch by my age. I want to express my thanks to DrJohn, OldFudd, and Goose. They have helped me so much in my journey to get my rifleman patch and become an orange hat. Thanks so much you guys!!!!!   
"Darkness is returning to Paradise. Are you ready?" Johnny Drake

"From the desert has come a voice crying in the wilderness, and his name is John. Johnny Drake to be more precise. But ask his disciples and they will tell you his mission is no less defined than the mission of John the Baptist, who first introduced the Light from heaven to the world over two thousand years ago. The multitudes listened to John, who told them that Jesus of Nazareth was the Way to God. Then Herod toke John's head.
  Now the question begs us: Will the world listen to Johnny Drake? And who will take his head?"   Quote from the book, "Sinner" by Ted Dekker

Amber Waves

Just an update

This last weekend Nov 26-27 at Bonfield, IL I shot a 211 and re-qualified and took an Orange Hat.  I nearly got the Winterseed patch, but it wasn't below 32 degrees.  Cold, but not freezing.  :'(  Will still work toward that one.  I just wish there was a patch for Heatstroke, shooting in temps over 100 degrees or high humidity, cause I KNOW I've earned that one.   ^-^ 

Red Niva congratulations on your scores.  You Rock!  :bow: 

nyrasgt

Suggest a Fireseed patch for 210+ fired @ over 95 degree temps, or heat index over 90...
should be red-orange, with (of course) flames rather than icicles...  Kids! Collect the Whole Set!
Or not.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Amber Waves

AWESOME  O0 
We should let Fred know.  We NEED a hot weather patch for the people who make it out in Heatstroke conditions.

dart67eb

That's half the year in MS!

Quote from: nyrasgt on November 29, 2011, 12:56:57 PM
Suggest a Fireseed patch for 210+ fired @ over 95 degree temps, or heat index over 90...
should be red-orange, with (of course) flames rather than icicles...  Kids! Collect the Whole Set!
Or not.
Excelsior,
madMark
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

COJeepGirl

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"-Mark Twain

mary

This was one of the best weekends I ever had. I learned how to shoot!! I have gone on to improve my shooting enough to have the confidence to join a pistol league, and I have won a few rounds in our local shooting contest here in Fairbanks at the indoor range (got some free large pizzas from Papa Johns and some nice gun cleaning kits :)
Everybody was great!

AimeePatton

Hi
I attended my 1st ladyseed this past weekend and loved it.  My story might be like a lot of others.  When I was growing up my father didn't think girls should shoot the "man" would do that.  Well my husband thank goodness had other Ideas.  This past summer my father-in-law and husband took me out shooting. I was nervous and scared at 1st but  I loved it.  I had only ever held a bb gun before that.  M1 garande  was my 1st real experience before ladyseed..  I have a enfield in .303 British that I love.  I had been to the range a couple of times since January when we found it.  Long story short I spent the whole ladyseed shooting my enfield.  The instructors offered to let me use a .22 but I had never shot one before  (I am stubborn to say the least)  and I wanted to get to know my riffle.  They range instructors where so helpful teaching me and very encouraging.    I asked to use a .22 to see what it was like.  Well long story short I am cured of my stubbornness and I now own a .22.  That way I can earn my rifleman patch.    I will still bring my enfield for fun but use a .22 (which ammo is much cheaper) .  I love this program and am hoping to get my orange hat soon.

Semper Fi
Aimee

dreamerofdreams

You got a .22 that quickly?   O0

Keep rocking the .22 and the enfield!  Just wait till we get you out to a KD shoot, that enfield will come in handy!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

AimeePatton

I took my .22 out this weekend.  Once I change to tech sights I will probably have a better time of it.  I am looking forward to using my enfield she is still my favorite.  I want to thank the ladies of the elon ladyseed.  Your teaching has made me more comfrotable with any of the riffles I pick up.  (Now if I can just get some handgun training so I am more comfortable with them. )  I can now hit paper more often then not.  I am practicing for my next shoot would really like to make riffleman and help out more with this wonderful organazation. 

Semper Fi
Aimee

PatriotsDaughter

Hello all!

I am a new Appleseed girl.  This past weekend was my first Appleseed experience and I had an absolute blast! :) The instructors were excellent and our group had a great camaraderie.  I did not grow up with firearms, and my husband has only been shooting for about 5-10 years, and I have joined him a few times in the past couple of years.  So basically, I'm relatively new to firearms and shooting.  To say I was feeling intimidated initially with the prospect of two days of training & shooting with a bunch of guys (who I was sure would know TONS more than me) is putting it mildly.  The history component is what really drew me, and helped me get up the courage to participate.  Honestly, I needn't have been concerned.  Everyone was very friendly and approachable and no one was made to feel inferior or foolish because of lack of experience.  As an added bonus, I cleared my redcoat on Saturday, and my final AQT score on Sunday was 194!  My forum pic shows the badge I earned when I cleared my redcoat. :) Already looking forward to my next Appleseed and looking for who I can bring with me.  Rifleman, here I come!

Patriot's Daughter (aka: Karen)

dreamerofdreams

Quote from: PatriotsDaughter on October 13, 2014, 09:46:57 AM
Hello all!

I am a new Appleseed girl.  This past weekend was my first Appleseed experience and I had an absolute blast! :) The instructors were excellent and our group had a great camaraderie.  I did not grow up with firearms, and my husband has only been shooting for about 5-10 years, and I have joined him a few times in the past couple of years.  So basically, I'm relatively new to firearms and shooting.  To say I was feeling intimidated initially with the prospect of two days of training & shooting with a bunch of guys (who I was sure would know TONS more than me) is putting it mildly.  The history component is what really drew me, and helped me get up the courage to participate.  Honestly, I needn't have been concerned.  Everyone was very friendly and approachable and no one was made to feel inferior or foolish because of lack of experience.  As an added bonus, I cleared my redcoat on Saturday, and my final AQT score on Sunday was 194!  My forum pic shows the badge I earned when I cleared my redcoat. :) Already looking forward to my next Appleseed and looking for who I can bring with me.  Rifleman, here I come!

Patriot's Daughter (aka: Karen)

Glad you had a good experience!  Congrats on clearing the red coat and great job on the AQT - you're definitely on the trail!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

ItsanSKS

It can't possibly be that we haven't had any more women attend Appleseed events, can it?   If you're a member of the fairer sex, and have attended an Appleseed event, your story should be posted here.  Let other women know what the experience was like for you!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

malabar

In Florida, I have seen an "Infernoseed" patch. I think it's awarded when the temp is over 100. Has little flames on it.

I think Sly223 had some. Don't know if they  were special issue or not.

tk

Quote from: Amber Waves on November 30, 2011, 10:39:24 AM
AWESOME  O0 
We should let Fred know.  We NEED a hot weather patch for the people who make it out in Heatstroke conditions.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Weezer

Quote from: ItsanSKS on February 12, 2015, 06:15:13 AM
It can't possibly be that we haven't had any more women attend Appleseed events, can it?   If you're a member of the fairer sex, and have attended an Appleseed event, your story should be posted here.  Let other women know what the experience was like for you!

Oops.  Just posted mine as a new post, not as an addition to this one.   :-[
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Homerange

This weekend was my second time doing an application my first one was a two-day event and this one was a lady's only one day event. And I've enjoyed each time, I learn new tricks. I love to learn the history. And I I feel I have employed  a skill that will be useful no matter where I am in life, as long as I have a gun and some ammo I have something to do.
They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance, by lying supinely on our backs, and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. Three millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us.
Patrick Henry