News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Patriot's Day Weekend KD blowout at Atterbury

Started by proneshooter, April 02, 2015, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proneshooter

Saturday April 18
800 pt (80 rounds plus sighters) NRA highpower rifle match
20 rounds standing slow fire @ 200 yds
2 strings, 10 rounds each sitting or kneeling rapid fire @ 200 yds
2 strings, 10 rounds each prone rapid fire @ 300 yds
20 rounds prone slow fire @ 200 yds

Sunday April 19
600 pt NRA mid range prone match
20 rounds plus unlimited sighters @ 300 yds
20 rounds plus 2 sighters @ 500 yds
20 rounds plus 2 sighters @ 600 yds

Details here: http://suemogle10426.wildapricot.org/

proneshooter

If you've been to an Appleseed, understand NPA and the six steps of firing a shot, and:
Have a centerfire rifle that is quickly reloadable
Have enough centerfire ammo for one or both days
Have a good 100 or 200 yd zero
Want to get really solid dope on your rifle
Want to get some really good wind estimation practice/experience

You should make it a point to attend as many events like this as possible.  We don't care if you shoot optics or irons.  We don't care about the color of your hat, or even if you have a colored hat at all.  In fact, we don't care if you haven't scored rifleman (expert) on the AQT.

If you want to shoot, we'll accommodate you.  If you want, we'll pair you up with a Master or High Master to help and coach you.  Just ask

Lonestar6

Sadly I have committed to instructing this weekend; otherwise I would love this opportunity.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

grunt soldier

Lonestar if you want to attend this event no problem. Alan and brotherbill will be there helpinG me out.  The Opportunity to shoot KD with masters and high masters is a heck of a learning expierence.

Though that does leave me with all the history lol.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

proneshooter

If this is your first time at an NRA match, there are few minor, but important differences compared to Appleseed.  I'll throw out the most common differences out there so that there is awareness.

1. As long as the rifle has an ECI in it and the magazine is out, it is considered safe.  You can handle it administratively, to adjust sights and sling for instance, behind the firing line.  Of course, you still cannot sling up and dry fire any place else except on the line during the prep period.

2. The ECI has to be one which has a part of it that actually enters the chamber.  Some people might still have some of the older ones which were like a fake AR magazine with a flag/ear that sticks out of the ejection port.  Those are no good.  If you don't have one, don't sweat it, we will find one for you to use.

3. In conjunction with 1. above, the safety does not need to be engaged for the rifle to be safe.  You can engage it if you wish, but to us it's the ECI that matters since the ECI renders the rifle physically unable to be loaded and fired.  Not all safeties block the firing pin.

4. The sling cannot be used for support during the standing match.  Sorry, it's been that way forever in the rulebook.

5. During the slow fire stages (those where the target is pulled and marked for every shot) only one round can be loaded in the rifle.  Garands have been single loaded forever in both NRA and CMP matches so if you're not familiar with that procedure just ask and someone will help you out.

6. The sitting and prone rapid fire starting positions are now different between NRA and CMP matches.  NRA now requires starting rapid fire from position (not from standing) with the rifle off your shoulder and its bolt locked back.  When the targets appear, load your rifle, close the bolt, shoulder it, and go to work.  This match, and most others at Atterbury, run under NRA rules.  It's a long story as to how and why that happened, and most of us are not happy with the change, but we're stuck with it now.

That's all I can think of, fire away if you have any questions

proneshooter

If you can't make this one, there's plenty more where that came from

SirRealism

Quote from: proneshooter on April 04, 2015, 07:01:01 PM
You should make it a point to attend as many events like this as possible.  We don't care if you shoot optics or irons.  We don't care about the color of your hat, or even if you have a colored hat at all.  In fact, we don't care if you haven't scored rifleman (expert) on the AQT.

If you want to shoot, we'll accommodate you.  If you want, we'll pair you up with a Master or High Master to help and coach you.  Just ask

I'm interested in this. I've done a KD Appleseed at Atterbury, but nothing like this. When you say that you can pair me up with a Master for coaching, how would that work? I'm wondering how much time there is for coaching/learning versus competing.

I'd be bringing an AR carbine with 2.5-10 scope.

Uncle Davey

I'm interested in doing one later in the spring. My Garand would love me very much...
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

proneshooter

Quote from: SirRealism on April 07, 2015, 02:37:51 PM
When you say that you can pair me up with a Master for coaching, how would that work? I'm wondering how much time there is for coaching/learning versus competing.

I'd be bringing an AR carbine with 2.5-10 scope.

Well, it's not a clinic.  That's why I made a list of basic things you ought to be relatively proficient or understand.

Having said that, when shooting a HP match shooters actually do three things: shoot, pull targets (those two are familiar to you from Appleseed KD) and score. 

Scoring is done by shooters from one relay while shooters from other relays are either shooting or in the pits.  Everyone takes turns at this so as the day goes on everyone shoots, pulls targets, and scores at some point during the event.  Everyone gets assigned a target # and a relay during squadding (signup) that's when you want to say that you're new at this and you'd like to be squadded with someone experienced.

Typically at Atterbury matches they form four relays.  Two relays go to the pits, while two relays go to the firing line.  At the line one relay shoots while the other relay scores, then they switch, and when both relays on the line have shot that match, there's a pit change and those who were in the pits come out to shoot and those who just shot go down to work.

Say you're relay 1 target 3.  They should put an experienced shooter on relay 2 target 3.  That way when you shoot he's your scorer and he can give you pointers, tips, and some help with wind calls.  Technically that's not allowed by the rules, but new shooters get a lot of consideration because otherwise this sport doesn't grow.

Your rifle will be fine.  Make sure you know your zero for either 100 or 200 yards.  Even better if you know your dope for 300.  If you don't know don't worry.  You will get on paper with some coaching.  Same at 600. 

Ideally your scope has easily adjustable turrets where you can keep track of how many clicks/minutes you are away from your basic zero.  Bring a small notepad/databook to keep written track of where you are.  Prevents you from getting lost in elev or windage plus it's your DOPE!

if your scope's turrets are not easily adjustable, you may have to click for elevation and use reticle hold off's for wind.  Whatever works, a rifleman should improvise adapt and overcome.

Bring a spotting scope if you have one.  If you don't have one but have some good binos, bring those.  You will need some sort of optic not on your rifle to see the target while you score for your shooter.  If you don't have anything, don't worry.  There will be people in the pits not needing their spotting scopes and someone will lend you theirs.

If you have a shooting jacket bring it.  If not, bring something that fits semi tight across your shoulders when you get down in sitting and prone.

Quick overview of the targets:
http://centraljerseyhighpower.com/hp_overview/page3.cfm

How to mark targets in both slow and rapid fire:
http://centraljerseyhighpower.com/hp_overview/page4.cfm

The locations for the value marker on the face of the slow fire targets:

When you feel or hear a bullet pass through, pull the target down, find the new hole, move the shot spotter (small white/black disk with a peg in the middle) from where it is to the new hole, cover the old bullet hole with a paster, move the value marker to the location on the edge corresponding to the value of the new shot, run the target back up.

All that can be done, with a little organization, in 15 sec or less once you get the hang of it.  Someone who's done this for a while can pull, mark, and return, a target in less than 10 sec when the shooter is nailing them all in the x, 10, and 9.

Again at Atterbury there is typically two relays in the pits so you shouldn't be alone. 

proneshooter

Quote from: Uncle Davey on April 07, 2015, 03:24:46 PM
I'm interested in doing one later in the spring. My Garand would love me very much...
Hey the match director is a BIG Michigan fan.  Check the schedule, pick a weekend, and shoot both days.

proneshooter

Excellent video of how rapid fire scoring is done.  200 yds or 300 yds same thing.  Note: at that particular club the pit guys are scoring the targets as well.  That's not how it's done at Atterbury and most other places
https://youtu.be/8jE6jYF6NzE

Same thing but slow fire
Part 1: https://youtu.be/2dXA9A5jY1E
Part 2: https://youtu.be/zSU2oa5Rs1I

There's no impact berm at Atterbury so we do have to look at the targets for impacts there

SirRealism

Thanks for all the info, proneshooter. I really appreciate it! O0

Hop

I wish I would have seen this a week ago.  How many times do you get to Atterbury?

Uncle Davey

Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

proneshooter

Quote from: Hop on April 13, 2015, 04:38:41 PM
I wish I would have seen this a week ago.  How many times do you get to Atterbury?
The link on my first post goes straight to the CIHPRS webpage, which has the full season schedule.  Check it out.

In case anyone's wondering you don't have to shoot Sat and Sun if you don't have the time.  They are separate events but those who travel more than an hour usually make a weekend out of it.