News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

WELL HELLOOOOO NEVADA

Started by Gina, November 06, 2008, 09:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gina

Hi, my name is Gina, my husband Dave and I live in Spring Creek which is just outside of Elko Nevada near South Fork Reservoir.  I feel very fortunate that we live in a rural country setting where Rifleman activities are pretty much "anything goes" because I have a hunting preserve that borders my property.  The reason I say this...when I first bought my gun it was simply to reduce the rabbit population in my yard.  They were eating all my costly shrubs as fast as I could plant them.  About a week after I purchased my gun, I heard a rucus in my yard, went outside to find 2 stray dogs attacking my kittens.  I was Annie get yer gun.  I loaded my gun went outside and had no intention of shooting the dogs because I love em...so I shot at the gravel near the dogs and was SICK when I heard a yelp come from one of the dogs then they both ran off.  I was sooo worried about it that I called the police on myself.  The officer came to my home and I was convinced I was going to jail (as Im originally from Sacramento where ANYTHING involving firearms will get you locked up).  Anyways, the officer chewed me out...not for shooting the dog. He chewed me out by saying...you never shoot towards a target...you always shoot directly AT your target...and shoot to kill because any bullet that misses your target may end up ricocheting and hitting someones home or an innocent bystander.  So I learned my first lesson the hard way. 

So, to get down to business, I am stoppin in to introduce myself to other Nevada Appleseeds.  I havent yet checked the upcoming Appleseed schedule yet but I am interested in getting out to one very soon.  I have to admit, I feel like I have been very criminal up to this point by handling a deadly weapon without any instruction whatsoever...looking back I realize that is just ludacris!!! ;D

KingBubbaTruck

Well You are in a perfect position to go to the Next one at Middlegate station (Fallon)!

It's out on Highway 50, the loneliest hiway in the country.  Having driven it a few times, I'll say it's not so lonely by Fallon, but gets much, much, more lonely the farther east you go.

It's a perfect introduction to Nevada and the old west as it's your basic improvised range and the terrain will look familiar to you.

My Wife and I attended the last one and it was a blast.  No Egos, No hassles, just good ole edumacation and trigger time.

My Wife will kill me for sharing this, but she wasn't even on the paper when we started on Saturday.  She had some issues with seeing through the sights correctly, but atticus gave her the ole duct tape pirate patch over the left eye and she was in business.  It's only fair to say I wasn't a heck of a lot better, but we both improved over the weekend and are practicing in the hopes of doing much better at the next one!

It should be in March sometime.  My Wife and I will be attending that one as well and will look forward to meeting you!

I know that California makes you think that just pulling a trigger on a gun is a crime, but it's not.  One sure way to get over that is to get to know your rifle better and get some more trigger time.  Sounds like you had a good officer that showed up at your door.

MOGromit

There should also be an Appleseed in January down in Boulder City.  Quite a bit farther than Fallon, but closer in time.

Go to them both.  And then as many more as you can :)

AZ Gromit

Gina

Ahhh yes...I was on that highway last summer...I saw the "SHOE TREE" (very odd)...whats the story on that tree anyways?  Is the shoot anywhere near shoe tree?

Quote from: KingBubbaTruck on November 06, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
Well You are in a perfect position to go to the Next one at Middlegate station (Fallon)!

It's out on Highway 50, the loneliest hiway in the country.  Having driven it a few times, I'll say it's not so lonely by Fallon, but gets much, much, more lonely the farther east you go.

It's a perfect introduction to Nevada and the old west as it's your basic improvised range and the terrain will look familiar to you.

My Wife and I attended the last one and it was a blast.  No Egos, No hassles, just good ole edumacation and trigger time.

My Wife will kill me for sharing this, but she wasn't even on the paper when we started on Saturday.  She had some issues with seeing through the sights correctly, but atticus gave her the ole duct tape pirate patch over the left eye and she was in business.  It's only fair to say I wasn't a heck of a lot better, but we both improved over the weekend and are practicing in the hopes of doing much better at the next one!

It should be in March sometime.  My Wife and I will be attending that one as well and will look forward to meeting you!

I know that California makes you think that just pulling a trigger on a gun is a crime, but it's not.  One sure way to get over that is to get to know your rifle better and get some more trigger time.  Sounds like you had a good officer that showed up at your door.

featherblue

Quote from: Gina on November 07, 2008, 01:14:34 AM
Ahhh yes...I was on that highway last summer...I saw the "SHOE TREE" (very odd)...whats the story on that tree anyways?  Is the shoot anywhere near shoe tree?

Quote from: KingBubbaTruck on November 06, 2008, 10:05:56 PM

If you will remember, there are not many trees in that region. That tree used to be a hangin' tree.  :o Yep. Those shoes up thar do make mighty fine pellet targets too!

�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."