News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

C2 Virginia Beach - A Shooter's Lessons Learned

Started by Monkey, January 22, 2015, 09:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkey

First time a shoot has been here in quite the while - thought it may be worthwhile to jot down some of my lessons learned, specific to C2 Virginia Beach, for the next wave of Rifleman candidates in February and beyond.

The Approach:

- GPS directions were adequate using both Google Maps and the Apple Maps app.  Marvin Road is a few miles north of the North Carolina border and about 10-15 miles from Virginia Beach proper.  Marvin Road will be on your left, but tends to be hidden by a cluster of trees, which hides the road until you're right on it.  If you follow Princess Anne road around the bend to the right (accompanied by flashing yellow lights and arrow signs indicating the bend), you've gone too far.

- There is one campground relatively close:  North Landing State Park.  I can't speak for the quality of the site; let Google be your guide there.  Nearest hotels are further north, towards the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and Town Center, over 45 minutes away.

Layout:

- The setup at this AS event was held in the East Ranges, which consist of configurable open bays.  These are around the corner from the main parking lot.  Parking was just outside the bay being utilized, and was between the bay and the classroom used for the event.

- Classroom had several tables and folding chairs laid out, already set up for other classes that frequently use the space.  The space comfortably seated about 20; as we had 30+ the first day, several sat on the floor using athletic mats or brought their own folding chairs.  Classroom was climate controlled.  No microwave or fridges available.

- 2 portable toilets were located next to the classroom.

- Range was an open bay layout that easily accommodated 30+ shooters on Day 1.  The deck consisted of very fine gravel with a harder underlayment a few inches below.  When laying down my tarp, I attempted to anchor it by using some "yard inflatable" spikes; they didn't penetrate more than 3 or 4 inches, even after stepping directly on them.  An installed concrete slab is covered by an aluminum awning, with a few wooden tables.

What to Bring:

On top of the standard AS checklist of things to bring:

- Bring a folding table for prep.  The firing line is uncovered;  while there is a small, covered concrete slab with a few tables, it was a significant distance from most positions on the firing line.  Transit back and forth could eat up preparation period time during AQTs.

- Bring spare parts and tools.  C2 has a pro shop that carries a limited number of AR parts - can't speak to the availability of Marlin/Ruger parts.  Or any other platform for that matter.  That said, if you find yourself in need of parts after Day 1 and are not from the area, you may be hard pressed to find someplace open that sells piece-parts (e.g. firing pins, extractors, etc). There are a few places that remain open relatively late on Saturday night that may be able to help with accessories (e.g. magazines, scopes) such as Colonial Shooting Academy and SP&G Lynnhaven.  Both close at 9pm and are about 45 minutes away from C2.

- Bring more food than just lunch.  It's at least a 15-20 minute drive before reaching urban civilization.  A lunch truck was made available to us the first day.  The food was pricey (mobile bistro Asian-Mexican fusion), but exceptionally delicious.

- Weather related gear.  (I know the checklist says to bring this, but it's worth repeating)

BLUF:  Know the upcoming weather and prepare for it.  While unseasonably warm for this time of year, Day 2 brought a very healthy dose of rain between 11 and 1:30pm.  That drove a large majority of second day shooters off the line and turned the range into a fine-grain mud pit.  After day 1, my better half and I went to Wal-mart and bought your standard sporting goods rain suit, one size too big so it would fit over all my jacket and cold gear, as well as waterproof, insulated boots that I wouldn't mind mucking up.  I was comfortable and only marginally wet on Day 2.  If events at C2 get sked for the summer months, it's worth considering bringing a portable awning for shade.

------------------

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.  If I'm visited by the Epiphany Fairy, I'll edit as required.

Comments and questions welcome.

And lastly, remember:  Your Mileage May Vary.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

jmdavis

Monks place up the road has great burgers. We have actually detoured coming back from Blackwater to eat there. It is pretty much a biker bar but they win the awards for best burgers in VA Beach. Also you can order sandwiches at the North landing store. Other than that you have to go North at least 10 miles to the Red Barn.

North Landing is a nice campground. We have rented cabins a couple of times, and I hammock camped once as well. Other than that, the closest hotels are actually in Chesapeake rather than VA Beach. We used the Day's Inn at least once and that was fine. That would have been 2011.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

navybowhunter

AMHLDO lives like 5 minutes from that range.  Recommend having shooters muster at his driveway for chow next shoot.

Mileage may vary.

R/
Chris

Monkey

Quote from: jmdavis on January 23, 2015, 12:22:53 AM
Monks place up the road has great burgers. We have actually detoured coming back from Blackwater to eat there. It is pretty much a biker bar but they win the awards for best burgers in VA Beach. Also you can order sandwiches at the North landing store. Other than that you have to go North at least 10 miles to the Red Barn.

North Landing is a nice campground. We have rented cabins a couple of times, and I hammock camped once as well. Other than that, the closest hotels are actually in Chesapeake rather than VA Beach. We used the Day's Inn at least once and that was fine. That would have been 2011.

I come to find that these types of establishments are often my favorite places to eat.

That said, I didn't see it open when I passed it by.  Might have been open Saturday evening, but I didn't notice.

As far as hotels, you may be right.  I think Chesapeake hotels are about the same distance away as those in Virginia Beach, but the drive is actually a lot faster, esp. being able to cut over on Pungo Ferry Rd.

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Missus Monkey

I think that everything was spot on that was previously stated. I found that my gear could use a bit of updating. My boots were not as waterproof as stated and I used thicker cold weather gear vs. rain gear. Everything was soaked. Despite that, this was by far one of my favorite shoots. Learning something new still at every shoot just makes me appreciate this program even more. The rain for me at this shoot made it even more worth while. Glad to be a part of such a great organization. No epiphany fairy's just yet.
MM

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine

bmyk

Enjoyed the shoot and meeting all of you.  Learned a lot.  First Appleseed but I have shot on that particular C2 range quite a bit. 

FWIW my 2 cents.

Drive time, I live in the Windsor Woods are (near Mt Trashmore, between Town Center and Lynnhaven Mall), drive time is about 40-45 minutes.  During the fair weather months you may (will) encounter cyclist groups on the road.  Be vigilant and allow extra time.

The ranges at C2 have two states, saturated as we saw or they are a dust bowl.  The fill material that covers the ground contains a high level of mica or quartz so everything is covered in a glittery dust.  Keep bags zipped up, ammo cans shut and bring something to cover you action and magazines.

There are two portable heads near the shooting line.  NO sinks or places to wash hands, bring hand sanitizer and a means to wash your hands after shooting.  There is indoor plumbing at the pro shop.

You cannot bring enough water.  Bring water and drink it. Bring extra.

Consider who is shooting next to you, maybe RESERVE the extreme right positions for the AR and 30cal shooters to keep from annoying others with brass and blast.  (I was shooting an AR Saturday and the guy to my right was not having a good time)

I found the positions to be very knee, neck and shoulder unfriendly (I was the guy whining and sitting out some strings).  Really practice getting into and staying in the shooting positions.  I need to work on getting down into the shooting positions from standing expeditiously.  Cant stress this enough, especially if you have had injuries PRACTICE getting into and holding the positions.  The web site said to do it, I didn't and my shooting suffered.

There really is nothing out there close, bring your food, drink and snacks unless you want to drive 20 minutes each way.

For post shooting eats, stop at Pungo Pizza.  Good food and service and very shooter friendly.  They are a sponsor for one of the pistol matches shot C2. 

Thanks again, see you April 18-19 2016.  :)
R/
Mike

Monkey

Mike, great Lessons Learned!

Enjoyed meeting you at the shoot.  Looking forward to seeing you in April!

― Hyman G. Rickover

The Wolfhound

Long range forecast looks like we will have a WINTERSEED!  No clue on precipitation yet but we should be plenty cold.  Bring out the Arctic survival gear, you know we never use the stuff in Virginia.

Monkey

Current predictions show a 10% chance of precipitation - but a 10 day forecast doesn't mean much...

Hoping for the Winterseed!

― Hyman G. Rickover

The Wolfhound

Weather forecast now looks downright pleasant.  No freezing temperatures Saturday and 60s on Sunday!  Winterseed looks washed out but heck, we tried!

The Wolfhound

Winterseed may be back!  Saturday looks cold enough with rain or snow possible. Yum!