News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hoosier Winter Appleseed Retreat

Started by hawkhavn, November 05, 2008, 08:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkhavn

In the spirit of the 'Man the Bilge Pumps' thread: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4382.0

Let's get our state meeting scheduled now.  Either December or January, I know December is a minefield of personal and professional doings but January can be a bit dicey weatherwise.  The only thing scheduled right now is the Indy 1500 on JAN 9-11.  The table is paid for and I imagine it will be very busy...

I believe Indy will be the place to meet so as to lessen everyone's travel needs. One day? Two days?
Location? Who's invited? I'd say IITs on up as it will be SOM SOM around the clock.

What say ye?

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Bob Wyre

Count me in.  Already planned on working the table with you. ;D

Mudcat

I would guess IITs on up, Indy is about as mid state as it gets so that sounds good to me. 1 or 2 days I don't know. I believe it would be awful hard to do it on the 1500 weekend even though it would give me an excuse to finally make it to the 1500.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

DaveD

Count me in on that INDY 1500  ;D
January time frame for the meeting will work best for me (except for the 31st!!)

usaf
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Bill 3

Count me in, Indy 1500 and retreat.  Someone may have to slap me and remind me as I don't normally get to plan that far out....  Jan works best for scheduling.

- WRWIII
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

slim

You know I'm part Hoosier!

The 1500 gets all wrapped up around 5:30 PM so that would leave plenty of SOM time that evening, not to mention all day long at the 1500. It would be something to see about 12 Orange and Red hats manning the table and walking around the show.

hawkhavn

Slim,

I'd pay good money to see that!

All,
Here's next year's 1500 schedule and times:
January 9-11, March 20-22, May 29-June 1, August 28-30, October 23-25

Show Hours
Fridays         -     2:00 PM  to  8:00 PM
Saturdays     -     8:00 AM  to  6:00 PM
Sundays       -     9:00 AM  to  4:00 PM

Keep these dates in mind when approaching Clubs about shoots, if you can get a shoot scheduled 2-3 weeks after a 1500 you'll probably catch a bounce.  Now, don't forget the other gun show dates, they are a good tool to use as well, probably a more regional (IN, OH, IL, KY, MI) impact at the 1500 but don't neglect the small ones.

Now can we get significant work done after 6 on Saturday?  Maybe not a lot of rifle skills work but certainly working on history, networking, etc.  Let me see if I can find a motel with a conference area (CHEAP).

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

SilentWarrior1

So, what of us "Want to be an Instructor-in-training" people? would we be open to such an event?

slim

I know I can't answer for hawkhavn on the whole retreat thing, but I know for a fact you can sit at the table at the 1500 passing out literature and talking to folks about your experience with Appleseed events and here on the forum.... and that goes a long way to getting invited to retreats and "fun" IIT events. 

In truth, the "retreats" are a new concept. To my knowledge, this will be the first one in the region. Only now are we getting enough folks involved to start having this kind of thing. But, like all things Appleseed, a "retreat" is just a buzzword of trickery that really means "meet up for more training" or even "ALL DAY LONG class and planning, etc." So, unlike the AIG executives, "retreat" actually means more work.

Still wanna come?

SilentWarrior1

I'm from small town Indiana and spent 6 years in the Army. I'm not afraid to get dirty.

DaveD

Quote from: SilentWarrior1 on November 13, 2008, 09:52:01 AM
I'm from small town Indiana and spent 6 years in the Army. I'm not afraid to get dirty.

+1
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Mudcat

Do we have a date for the retreat yet?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

hawkhavn

Not yet, let me get through this weekend first...

However, I can now announce the first scheduled 2009 Indiana Appleseed will be May 15-16 in Auburn!
We will certainly have earlier shoots but none confirmed as yet.

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

J Jessup

Mr Hawkhavn Sir,

Do we have other details, will there be a limit on registrations?  I was asked about fliers tonight.

Chap

DaveD

Quote from: hawkhavn on November 20, 2008, 09:16:57 PM
Not yet, let me get through this weekend first...

However, I can now announce the first scheduled 2009 Indiana Appleseed will be May 15-16 in Auburn!
We will certainly have earlier shoots but none confirmed as yet.

Hawkhavn

Ed,

Do we have the details yet to build a flier?  Will get one done ASAP if so.

Dave

Thomas Jefferson

hawkhavn

Dave,

I'll get you everything as soon as the questions get answered.

Thanks,
Ed

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

Old Glory!

Nice work Bill O Rites!  Winter RETREAT?!  How's the flyer coming?
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

OhmsLaw

Am I wrong in thinking that this post was 2 yrs old before being bumped on Wed?   Holy Thread resurection... :D.  If they don't have the flier done before now, it is probably a little late....Just Sayin'

Ohmslaw
Ohmslaw(appleseed)/Peashooter(ingo)/Scott(Reality)
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." - George Washington

JustJeff

Quote from: Old Glory! on November 25, 2010, 12:40:32 AM
He was bumping every thread he could to boost his post count..... but that was taken care of, and he's back to 'newbie' with all the "btt" removed.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Bill of Rights

Just a note that the person referenced was "bill o rites", down in Florida, not to be confused with a certain Instructor here in Indiana.

Blessings,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

Old Glory!

Quote from: Bill of Rights on November 28, 2010, 10:17:54 PM

Just a note that the person referenced was "bill o rites", down in Florida, not to be confused with a certain Instructor here in Indiana.

Blessings,
Bill

All straight!   O0
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion