News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Planned Winterseed in Boone NC February 7-8

Started by Pain Killer, December 17, 2014, 09:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pain Killer

Please join us for our 2nd Annual Winterseed in the Mountains of Boone, NC at the Watauga Gun Club. Hopefully the winter weather will cooperate as good or even better. Last year we had 6 inches of snow and wind chill below freezing. This is an incredible range with very good people. If you have the time on February 7-8, you shouldn't miss this! It is an excellent opportunity for us Southerners to learn how to deal with things like snow fouling up our firing mechanisms.

Please take a look at your schedules and sign up today!
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Pain Killer

Please enjoy some pictures from last year
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

dreamerofdreams

Boone is a gorgeous range with some excellent people!  Anyone who goes will have a great time!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

auctoris

I live in Boone and plan on attending. Why are the only dates for Appleseed in Boone during the worst part of the winter? Is this supposed to be "snow training"? Any chance to get some nice spring, summer, or fall dates for the locals who prefer to avoid any extra "snow training"? (We get enough.)

I ask because I know some locals who have decided not to go specifically because it's being held during our bad weather season.

But I'm looking forward to learning . . . no matter how cold, windy, and wet it is.

Thanks

Moylan

Hi auctoris,

Glad to hear you're coming to the event!  I think the short answer to your question is: yes, having events in Boone in January allows us to the relatively rare chance (for North Carolinians) to participate in "winterseed" events, which are just Appleseeds held in especially cold conditions.  But I'll bet that warmer weather events could probably be arranged, if we could get access to the range.  Let me check on this for you.

Moylan
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

dreamerofdreams

We did have a summer event at Boone last year but it was a Ladyseed.  Our local boots on the ground will probably have more information about scheduling.  Hopefully we can get another summer shoot worked out - I know I greatly enjoyed being able to escape the heat up in the mountains!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

FiremanBob

Watauga is a beautiful club and the people are fantastic - as nice as any you'll ever meet, and they all faced the Saturday blizzard with good humor and perseverance that would make Gen. Washington proud. I have very fond memories of last year's Winterseed.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Pain Killer

I am working with the range for additional events. The difficulty is that this range is very busy with Competition Shooting events. We should have a one day event here on April 19, but that has not been approved yet. We are working on a Ladies only event in the summer and a Traditional Appleseed September or October. When any of these are approved, I will post it here on the NC Board. This is a great range to work with and an extremely beautiful place to shoot. Thank you for your interest. The more interest we have, the more events we can get scheduled.

Charlotte has 5 events on the calendar and is a great venue as well with an excellent group of instructors. Tak a look at that as well.

Thanks,
Steve

Bazooka Man

Money paid, motel booked.  The almanac and long range forecast is calling for a snow storm for that weekend in the Boone area.  With luck, it will snow a foot or so.  It should make my investment worth it.  LOL!
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleerâ„¢ Patch (220)

armaborealis

The Watauga gun club was a great range in a beautiful area.  I'm jealous of the event!

This is a great venue to tell some local history of the Over the Mountain Men on Sunday!
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=42359.0
Rifleman - 1 July 2012 - Gaston, SC
KD Qual - 27 September 2014 - Elberton, GA

auctoris

Sounds like you need an event in February for people who don't live here and an event in the spring or summer for locals. Do you know when we locals get the chance to train in the snow? October through April. :-)

I've lived in Boone since 1987. The two worst snow storms we've had in that time were the second week of April in 1987 and the second week of March in 1993. So if you really want some snow training, plan an event in March or April.

But January and February consistently have the most bitter weather. Two nights ago the wind chill was -23 (with snow and ice of course).

I had a friend from Alaska visit one time. They said they wanted to go home so they could warm up.

Guitarhacker

I'm signed up....and so are several other folks from around here.... several (3) are first time Appleseed event shooters....  there's a total of 5 of us  planning to come from this area...  Wilson County

dalek

I am seriously considering even though I have really not practiced for it at all. Nor have bought a sling or clips yet.

But, in the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson, how card can it be?  %)

Now, it is 2.5h from home and I think it might be a bit too late to reserve a hotel room, right?

Engineer Jim

Quote from: dalek on January 24, 2015, 09:33:17 AM
I am seriously considering even though I have really not practiced for it at all. Nor have bought a sling or clips yet.

But, in the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson, how card can it be?  %)

Now, it is 2.5h from home and I think it might be a bit too late to reserve a hotel room, right?

Don't sweat the "practice" part; the whole weekend is practice.  That and getting the opportunity to air out the rifles in weather that keeps fair weather shooters tucked deeply into their beds while their forlorn rifles wait in hidden cases.

It will make easier to attain your marksmanship goals if you are able to pick up a GI web sling to bring to the event.  If you're not quite sure how to use or adjust it, we'll be going over its use during the first day.

The longest string of fire is usually 13 rounds, with 10 rounds in a typical string.  So, as long as you have two magazines capable together of this capacity, you're all set.

Hope you're able to join us.

Jim

armaborealis

Quote from: dalek on January 24, 2015, 09:33:17 AM

When we went up a few months ago we stayed at a nearby KOA.  They had cabins for a reasonable rate which were quite snug.  I bet in the off-season they are very inexpensive.  Last time the club was kind enough to have a catered lunch for a reasonable price, as well as a kitchen with coffee and hot water for oatmeal and such available in the morning, so camping was really easy.
Rifleman - 1 July 2012 - Gaston, SC
KD Qual - 27 September 2014 - Elberton, GA

dalek

Update: I just registered for this event. It is the only appleseed I will be able to attend this month. Now to find a place to crash between Saturday and Sunday.

armaboralis: I have never been in a KOA so I do not even know where to begin and what to bring. Don't have any camping gear BTW.

Engineer Jim: even though I still need to get me some pants for the event, I am ok with the weather. Well, I do not have much time driving in ice though.

Update2: Got the rifle I plan on using there. Met with Schooner (and another appleseed instructor) at the Wake County range to get some pointers on the way of the sling and other things. Ordered some pants. Still need a rag to put on the ground and get me a place.

I will continue to threadjack as I have updates.

pans858

I'm glad to see such great reception to our Winterseed in Boone!  To auroraborealis... your handle leads me to believe you must revel in the cold; don't know if you can see the lights from here, though!!  Perhaps I know you.  Shoot me a PM, and if you have any questions I'll help.

This event is specifically to embrace and enjoy shooting in the cold weather.  What the guys above did not tell you is that last years 2 degree AM temps and raging wind and snow on Saturday were followed by nearly 50 degrees and sunshine on Sunday afternoon!  that's how quickly and dramatically the weather can change here.  At this point the forecast is for a little cold front to come in on Thursday or Friday, but no telling what it will actually be like.

I'd be prepared for 20's to around freezing in the morning and 40's in the afternoon.  The range will be wet, so bring a small tarp or something to go under your mat and cover your gear when off of the line.  If the range is frozen, that will actually be a good thing!  We do have some foam pads which will be available if anyone needs them.  Appleseed is not ALL outdoors... we have a heated clubhouse, with coffee and a kitchen, warm restrooms,etc.  You will be inside enough to get the feeling back in your fingers and toes throughout the day. :)

Regarding events in the warm months, Painkiller nailed it.  We have limited months in which to hold our regularly scheduled events, and so the available weekends for Appleseed are rare in the summer months.  But we try to accommodate at least one in the spring or fall, when we typically have very pleasant weather.  Even this weekend, we are working around a regularly scheduled rimfire match.  Keep watching the schedule for the future.

Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

Guitarhacker

Well.... just got home from the Boone Appleseed shoot.  What a great time. The weather was not a nasty as we were actually hoping for.  I was telling Chris as we were initially discussing the upcoming event that it couldn't be much worse than USMC cold weather training. Then he reminded me that we were both much younger men when that training took place.... Oh yeah, that's right......

But... in fact, the weather was downright spring-like.... with highs in the afternoon pushing 55 or better. The NC mountains don't often see those kind of temps in early Feb..... the mornings were crisp and refreshing as the smell of the rifles and powder mingled with the fresh mountain air.... no aroma therapy in the world is better for the soul than that.  Smelled like freedom in the air.

We had perhaps a dozen shooters on the first day and a few less on the second.  4 folks shot 210 or better earning their tan or olive Rifleman patch and everyone on the line had a great time.

What I especially enjoyed about this event was the student to instructor ratio was close to 1 on 1 as I have ever seen at any sort of event I have attended.... Including other seeds.  The fellowship and camaraderie were second to none.  Everyone was have a nice relaxed time, and learning about becoming better marksmen and women.  We had all ages there from  young folks to senior citizens and all were like little kids on Christmas morning.

Mid afternoon, Chris pointed out that we were well past 600 rounds downrange and still shooting. Can you say......         F U N????

I had invited 3 folks to come with us. After I returned from my first Appleseed, and was speaking about it, two friends, Bobby and Joel expressed some interest with Bobby asking me to let him know when I was going to go again.  When I mentioned the shoot in Boone, I didn't figure either would want to go to an ALL WEATHER event in Feb...... however.......Both came and experienced their first Appleseed.  Joel earned his Rifleman patch and Bobby swears he's gonna get it at the next seed and wanted to know the schedule for NC.   I think we were as disappointed as Bobby was because he was sooooooo close it was heartbreaking.... but.... it's not always the easiest thing to do or else everyone would get it..... I like that it has to be earned and not given or awarded. That makes wearing the patch special.

I figured that this would be a refresher for me, since I still retain the ability to shoot well. However, when hunting and shooting for fun, we all tend to use bench rests and that's not really conducive to retaining those needed skills. Man... the first few AQT's were a bit humbling as was Morgan's Shingle. Tucking my ego into my back pocket, and listening, really listening and then applying what the instructors were trying to tell me, and OH MY GOD!!!!  switching from my hasty sling to the GI sling.... my groups literally tightened up instantly.  Now it was working on fine points.... One instructor who shared my last name tapped me on the shoulder and said he noticed I was "not quite slapping the trigger, but it was close" and instructed me on better trigger control..... again.... more shots on target and the AQT scores continued to climb..... another instructor from the other side of the range in the afternoon, came and knelt to observe something and tell me something.... which incidentally shaved 4 seconds or more from the time I needed  to get my shots off for string 2 & 3 on the AQT...... then paused and commented on my "excellent trigger control"... see... I do take instruction well....

Yeah.... I had fun.  I saw and reconnected with several Appleseed instructors I met in Ramseur, and met several new people who are now friends....

What a great time....

Pain Killer

Thank you for this incredible synopsis! This was a great weekend at a beautiful range and excellent company. You should take an orange hat and join us! This was a better After Action Report than most seasoned instructors write. I enjoyed meeting you and all the new shooters.

PK

auctoris

Pain Killer

1 day event Sunday April 19. I have requested it to be on the schedule so it should be there in a couple of days.

Guitarhacker

I'd love to see some pics from the event taken by others....

I have a few that I can post later.

auctoris

I'm a little confused about Appleseed now. I thought it was created to teach untrained people how to shoot a rifle. I've read comments on here about "training" to get ready for Appleseed and people hoping for the worst weather possible. It sounds more like an advanced camp for experienced shooters.

I've shot a rifle once in my life. I couldn't "train" to get read for Appleseed because I don't know how. That's why I would go to Appleseed. And when I'm learning a new skill, I generally prefer the most favorable conditions possible. So high winds in freezing temperatures with ice and snow are not the conditions I would be hoping for in an optimum learning environment.

Am I missing something? Is Appleseed supposed to be for beginners? Are the events planned to take place in the worst weather conditions?

Thanks

FiremanBob

Auctoris: IMO, Appleseed is for a wide range of people - beginners, families, experienced marksmen who want a challenge, qualified Riflemen who want to shoot the elusive 250 - there are too many reasons to list. Some casual shooters who may have a lot of experience but little training, and are goal-oriented, or who have been to an Appleseed but not qualified, set a goal of earning that patch and "train" accordingly before the event.

Certainly a standard Appleseed is totally beginner-friendly and one doesn't have to "train" for it. I particularly enjoy working with beginners because they make so much progress during the weekend and I can see how their confidence and enjoyment grow.

But full-distance Appleseeds are not for beginners. And some events, such as Winterseeds, aren't going to appeal to beginners but have great appeal to would-be Jim Bridgers (like me).
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Pain Killer

Appleseed is for everyone. At a 2 day Appleseed you are taught the fundamentals of firing a rifle. The fundamentals pertain to a new shooter to begin the process to become a rifleman or an experienced shooter to review and determine if they have developed some bad habits. Some participants feel they need to practice ahead of time, but this is not necessary. Other questions pertain to equipment. Any .22 rifle will allow you to learn rifle marksmanship at an Appleseed. If your motivation is to have some advantages on the skills test, then a magazine loaded rifle such as a Ruger 10/22 would be helpful to get through the time pressure. Some locations will allow you to shoot a centerfire rifle and that will be posted for the event. In my opinion, this would be a great fit for you.

Guitarhacker

Quote from: auctoris on February 11, 2015, 12:47:21 AM
I'm a little confused about Appleseed now. I thought it was created to teach untrained people how to shoot a rifle. I've read comments on here about "training" to get ready for Appleseed and people hoping for the worst weather possible. It sounds more like an advanced camp for experienced shooters.

I've shot a rifle once in my life. I couldn't "train" to get read for Appleseed because I don't know how. That's why I would go to Appleseed. And when I'm learning a new skill, I generally prefer the most favorable conditions possible. So high winds in freezing temperatures with ice and snow are not the conditions I would be hoping for in an optimum learning environment.

Am I missing something? Is Appleseed supposed to be for beginners? Are the events planned to take place in the worst weather conditions?

Thanks

Appleseed is an event for all levels of shooter.  My first seed was in Ramseur in late March of last year. It was cold, rainy and generally raw. Shooters there varied from beginners who knew very little about a rifle except that it made a loud noise when you pulled the trigger, to shooters like the guy beside me on the lane who had been at the rifleman's bootcamp at the range for the past 5 days and myself who have been shooting all my life, qualified as Expert in the USMC as a younger man, and remained a fairly good shot.

One of the purposes of the first few strings of fire at the seed is not only for the shooters to see where they are but also for the instructors to see instantly where each student is at on the journey to AS Rifleman.

Getting ready for Appleseed..... Aside from getting as many things together on the list of things you should bring.... the best prep is to come with a teachable attitude and be ready and willing to learn.   I attend them with the attitude that I know many things but I don't know it all and if the instructor is telling me to focus on trigger control or move the elbow or whatever, I listen and do my best to make that a part of the next string of fire. The opposite example is my nephew. A good shot already, I invited him and the rest of the family to a seed shoot near them, and I would also attend making it a family event since we all LOVE shooting. His response to me in a nut shell was that appleseed was for children and beginners and they had nothing they could teach him that he didn't already know. The truth is, on that last part of the statement, he's probably right, there would be nothing that anyone could teach him.

Yes, the Winterseeds in the mountains of NC can come with some brutal conditions, probably not well suited to the beginner level shooter, but certainly in line with those who are seeking to challenge themselves a bit. As it turned out, we had 35 to 60 degree days, a slightly breezy day with sun for the most part. certainly a bit disappointing to those of us who wanted that challenge.

I may have stated this already, but in our group for friends (4 of us) who attended, one of them was a guy who doesn't own a rifle and rarely shoots with others but kinda enjoys shooting and making the gun go bang. At the seed, he listened and applied the instructions given and as a result, he qualified as a marksman on the second day.

So no, you're not missing anything.  Every seed is different..... weather, range, etc.....  but that all have one thing in common..... they are able to accommodate shooters at every skill level and teach the new shooters the basics as well as honing the finer points on details for the experienced shooters.

pans858

Guitarhacker, many thanks for the after action reports and for the great experience of meeting you and your contingent!  Come back and shoot with us any time... check the WGC website from time to time.  I'm sure we have some events you'd like, including the vintage military match we discussed when you were here.

Auctoris, I hope you'll send me a PM... with your level of interest I'm sure we can spend some time and get you to a confidence level that will have you looking forward to an Appleseed, rather than being understandably apprehensive.  If you'd like, we can get some range time in, and I'll show you lot's of gun options, and the basic course of fire.

Thanks again to all of the participants, and to the great cadre of Appleseed instructors who make this such a rewarding event!!

auctoris

Thanks for the offer. I have a Ruger 10/22 and a Mini-14 already set up in the Liberty Training Rifle configuration (tech-sights, USGI web sling, etc.) Now I just need an event in Boone for a complete novice who isn't a fan of the cold. It's funny that I live in Boone and I have an especially passionate hatred for cold, wind, snow, and ice. And I do mean hate. Actually, it's probably because I live in Boone.  :)

Unfortunately, I will not be able to participate in an AppleSeed anywhere other than Boone for the foreseeable future. So I really hope there will be an event in Boone some time in the spring, summer, or fall. It is frustrating that there's an AppleSeed in my town and it happens to be one of the events planned for the worst weather possible . . . and people actually look forward to it in hopes of bad weather. I had two other absolute beginners who wanted to attend, but they had the same thoughts I did. A winter day in Boone is not the environment in which we want to learn a new skill. Come on, they use cold to torture Navy SEALS. No thanks, I'd rather pick up a new skill above freezing. :) (Yes, I know the weather could turn out to be nice, but with February in Boone, it could also turn out to be Hoth.)

Maybe by some miracle an AppleSeed for Boone can be planned during a pleasant season. Otherwise, I've got Liberty Training Rifles with no training. They'll just be Liberty Rifles. :)

Thanks

Bazooka Man

auctoris,
Check the schedule on the website.  There is a one day seed in Boone on April 19.
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleerâ„¢ Patch (220)

auctoris

That's awesome! Last I heard it wasn't confirmed.

Thanks